Poll: Your opinion on MoP

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It's been by far my favourite expansion. Fantastic class design, an absolute ton of fun new features and modes introduced, far better storytelling than previous expansions, easily the most fleshed-out and polished new race they've added (both in terms of the player models and the lore), and, most importantly for me, a huge focus on things that are *new*, rather than dredging up some old villain and coasting by on nostalgia appeal.

The first year of MoP was great. The second year of MoP drove me to unsub.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

It was mostly good, although I did take my first "long" break from the game during MoP(during ToT, which was apparently a big mistake). The raids were pretty good and I got to see them from lots of different classes' point of view(I've done at least some flex on every single class in the game, some heroics on 3 and a bunch of normal on another ~5)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted OK.
    The best remembered "OMG YES THIS IS AWESOME" moment I had was during the green fire quest

Rest was OK. But playing since 2005 might cause things to appear less amazing to me than it would to a relatively fresh player. I'll admit to that straight away.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

10+ Year Old Account
    Terrible.

Carried a bad taste in my mouth the entire expansion with the abundance of shitty dailies.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think for every good thing MoP did, it was undermined by something that was bad. It’s hard to pinpoint exactly why it flopped, but I daresay it just couldn’t shake the “lolz kung fu panda” criticism that it launched to.

Ultimately, it started badly for a lot of players (raids too hard, dailies too necessary, alts too punished) and ended badly (the game’s worst content drought); potentially, that might have a bigger impact on how people remembered it than, say, the excellent Isle of Thunder or Domination Point that was bookended by the bad parts.

Sadly, despite the playerbase contracting even more sharply than it did in Cataclysm, I think the day of reckoning is still in the pipeline. The next earnings call could be catastrophic because of the long wait for content, and if WoD can’t make a significant positive impact on numbers then we could be in for a very rough couple of years following it.

Overall...I'm somewhere in the middle. I enjoyed MoP and certainly didn't hate it, but it wasn't my favorite either.

Good things:

-I had absolutely no problems with the Pandaren race. Pandaren have been around since WC3 and have just as much right as any other race to be in WoW.

-No problems with the Asian theme (nice to see something different).
    -Level 85-90 questing content/zones were fun to me.
    -Pandaria was beautiful.
    -Brawler's Guild was fun.
    -There's lots of stuff to keep me occupied at 90, even considering the fact that I don't raid (haven't set foot in Siege of Orgrimmar).

Bad things:

- Pet battles didn't really excite me that much.
    - PvP balance was mostly crap, but to be fair, that's been the case with....pretty much every version of WoW ever.
    - Timeless Isle / Isle of Thunder really didn't do it for me.

- Lack of dungeons. We only got a small handful of dungeons. The few we did get felt rushed/halfassed and were very forgettable. MoP was the first expansion to make me feel that way with dungeons, and I've been playing since 2005.

- I'm not a big fan of scenarios. I'd be okay with scenarios if they were solo experiences designed to help tell the story, but it feels like we're trying to replace dungeons with them. Aside from group quests, I don't like the idea of 3-player content either. It just doesn't feel right.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-10-06 at 05:41 PM.

Deleted
    i felt a bit overwhelmed at points where too much content was thrown at me and i could not keep up with my more casual playstyle.. Only now, a 6 months after the final patch when everything cools off i find myself having fun doing dailies, having fun doing quests and exploring. I played 5.1 and 5.2 etc all on day one but there was just too much pressure by all those fanatic players that i felt bad if i didn't play 24/7 on new content.

Now that i have learned this, i am planning to skip WoD for a week after launch so i shouldn't rush stuff etc for epeen and just enjoy the game.

i do hope blizzard takes brining out content at a bit slower rate during expansions to heart.

Deleted
    Oh god, another one of these threads.

MoP was great. Took WoW in a new direction, and injected some life back into the game. Sure, dailies were overwhelming, but you weren't forced to do them all at once, the vendor gear was shit for anyone in a half decent raiding guild so don't use that excuse. The content patches were good, and the legendary quest was fun if you followed it from the start.

PvP was dire though due to the bloat that came with the new talents, but hopefully that will be fixed in WoD. CC, specifically AoE CC, was out of control.

Also lol at people spinning sub losses as MoP being a failure, there's more to sub losses than just the quality of a game -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    Dailies and kung-fu pandas = shitty expansion

Overally it was fantastic. Probably the best expansion for me.

It had some issues, mostly with content pacing. ToT could have been two months longer in my opinion. Item level scaling was obscene. Drop rates on the legendary quest were too random. Too many dailies and reputation locked behind Golden Lotus was a drag. XP required to level is still too high, even after two nerfs. Timeless Isle was an interesting experiment but was too small for the sheer amount of people going there, and was tuned too high for its intended purpose of gearing up new 90's. Lack of 5 man dungeons is a concern.

However, the music was incredible on the whole. The graphics and scenery keep improving. Enemies did more then merely auto-attack. Rare champion mobs proved a challenge while leveling. Quests in general were varied and interesting. The lore was top noche and presented in a way that didn't ram it down your throat with the hidden scrolls and shrines. Most of the raid encounters were interesting and had new mechanics, and the tuning on the heroic bosses was pretty good. Scenarios were an interesting idea (though should be part of the leveling experience, not end-game). Challenge modes are excellent on the whole.

I feel like a lot of people are still clinging to their bias when they say it was terrible, and using sub figures without context shows their lack of reasoning. Thus I can safely discount their opinions on the matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    Dailies and kung-fu pandas = shitty expansion
    Pretty much proving my statement.

Deleted
    MoP was good, but on the other hand I didn't enjoyed the content while leveling my alts. For the first time it was good but then kind of a boring/bad experience.

Deleted
    The only objective measure to determine wether it was a failure or a success is the amount of money Blizzard made from it. Thanks to dubious micro-transactions it was a success.

So yeah take that as you will.

My personal, subjective and biased opinion: They lost millions of subscribers, there was(is) a 14 months content gap, the overall theme was idiotic (pandas and their pseudo wisdom bullshit and rawr horde smash alliance rawr), I've hated it right from the beginning and even though I really tried to enjoy it, I never did. None of my friends played during this expansion, only now that it's almost over are they returning.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2014-10-06 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    The only objective measure to determine wether it was a failure or a success is the amount of money Blizzard made from it. Thanks to dubious micro-transactions it was a success.
    Not sure about the math of this. You think they made more from MoP with microtransactions than from Cata (which also had some microtransactions, but perhaps less)? I don't think so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post
    I keep seeing heated discussions on the subjects in other threads, and I can't help but wonder - how many people actually consider the expansion a success, and how many would consider it a failure?

Personally? I'm leaning towards failure for all the generic reasons that were discussed a million times - dailies, grindiness, item level inflation, horrible pvp, etc. etc.. It wasn't -all- bad (Cross-realm raids / arenas finally mean I can play on RP server without feeling left out of pve/pvp) but the bad honestly outweighs the good for me.

What do you think?
    And the different strokes theory is: I thought it was great until TI came out. I like building bases, or fending off creatures etc. over a certain amount of time. I thought IoT and Krasarang daily hubs were awesome. I loved the 5.0 style where you needed to gain rep with the Golden Lotus (though the rep gains with GL could have been higher) to unlock other reputations. I loved that some VP/JP wares were locked behind reputations (made the reps feel more involved and like all the factions of Pandaria were against this big bad).

So basically I love it for all the reasons most casuals and extreme hard core hated it. It made you play the game. All facets of it. There was a reason for it and it was all intertwined.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    If we used sub loss as a measure of sucky-ness, MoP was the worst expansion yet.

Which isn't surprising, because MoP was terrible.
    I'm glad that we don't use sub-loss as a sole measure. Cataclysm is still the worst expansion ever imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Not sure about the math of this. You think they made more from MoP with microtransactions than from Cata (which also had some microtransactions, but perhaps less)? I don't think so.
    yes they recently said they were making more profit from WoW than ever before, I think it was stated during one of those infamous subscription conferences

yes they recently said they were making more profit from Wow than ever before
    Perhaps per player (not total), no? Could you link a blue?

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC

So yeah take that as you will.

My personal, subjective and biased opinion: They lost millions of subscribers, there was(is) a 14 months content gap, the overall theme was idiotic (pandas and their pseudo wisdom bullshit and rawr horde smash alliance rawr), I've hated it right from the beginning and even though I really tried to enjoy it, I never did. None of my friends played during this expansion, only now that it's almost over are they returning.
    I think we've found the real reason you didn't like it. You're just too damn jaded and you take yourself too seriously (see pandas comment) to admit that.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    yes they recently said they were making more profit from Wow than ever before, I think it was stated during one of those infamous subscription conferences
    In fact they were pretty high in the worldwide top cash shop transaction revenue. Considering they are a sub only game and making more money from their cash shop than other F2P games do, it's a pretty large portion of their revenue. People underestimate just how much money they make from microtransactions/account services. This is why these things will never be free for subscribers, even though they really should be.
    BAD WOLF

Great up to Throne of thunder than it took a nosedive right into metzens Orc fetish fics and has yet to resurface again.