Will Old Power Supply Support New GTX 980

Hey,

As I understand, 500 watts is enough to power a GTX980. However, as I do plan on upgrading my power supply soon I was wondering if my current power supply will work with my upgraded GPU? My concern is the amount of PS connectors as the motherboard takes a 8Pin as well. I used the Googles, but I can't seem to find my answer.

Also, what power supply do you recommend I upgrade to? $150 USD would be my budget, but willing to go up to $200 if it's ideal. I have the CPU clocked at 4.0Ghz.

And I do know that my CPU only supports PCIE 2.0 atm, but I've read it shouldn't cause a bottleneck or at least one that I won't notice.

Here's my specs:

CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz
    CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14
    Motherboard - ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
    Power Supply- Thermaltake TR2-500w: http://imgur.com/dsww3H8
    GPU - ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5 GeForce GTX 980 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
    OS Drive - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 120GB SATA III (SSD)
    HD Drive - Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM
    DVD Drive - ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS SATA 24X DVD Burner
    Memory - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    Wireless NIC - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI Express Wireless Adapter
    Last edited by Swiffer; 2014-10-06 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Included Budget

500w is the advertised bare minimum power supply for this card. It might run and it might have some trouble. Depends on the real efficiency of your power supply. As far as upgrading, I don't think you need to buy a $150 PSU. A 620-750 watt Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec would be plenty for your build.

7+ Year Old Account
    Having the 12V split up into 2 separate rails on that PSU is bad news. It will *probably* work if you can plug each of the 8-pin connectors into separate rails. But both on one rail will not work. Good power supplies don't split up 12V into multiple rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Having the 12V split up into 2 separate rails on that PSU is bad news...
    Where does it tell you on the label that it's 2 rails? Is it +12V1 and +12V2?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saxtorph View Post
    ... A 620-750 watt Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec would be plenty for your build.
    How about this Corsair RM750 ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I'd get a new one honestly. It's not even a 500W PSU.
    SeaSonic a good brand? Planning on going to my local Fry's after work, they don't carry that brand.
    Last edited by Swiffer; 2014-10-06 at 07:29 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Agree with above completely. While the 980 could possibly work on the PSU considering it barely meets minimum requisites and the quality itself isn't good to begin, it's also old. Old and low quality is a recipe for disaster when you're pushing limits. And I'm also not a fan of 12V rails being split like they are.

Keep in mind in mind with that list, OP....All the above PSUs are about the same quality as well as being near the same wattage with similar amps on the 12V rail (minus the 550W being slightly less for both). Only notable differences would be power efficiency and modular cables (cables completely come off or attached to the unit) which are all just up to whether or not you find the price point worthwhile.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-pow...ply-p1550sxxb9

Also an even cheaper option if you want something reliable. non modular cables and bronze certification keep the price point down. Keep in mind by settling with 550W there is no room for expansion though.

If you ever plan to add a second 980 for your build,

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-pow...ply-p1750snlb9 (Non Modular, Bronze Certification)
    or
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-pow...ply-p1750bbefx (Modular, Gold Certification)

One of these would also be worth your while, but also unnecessary if you don't plan to add another card.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiffer View Post
    Where does it tell you on the label that it's 2 rails? Is it +12V1 and +12V2?

- - - Updated - - -
    Yes, that is the one you want to look at for the 12v rails

How about this Corsair RM750 ?

- - - Updated - - -
    That PSU should serve you quite well. $20 rebate at Newegg.com

SeaSonic a good brand? Planning on going to my local Fry's after work, they don't carry that brand.
    SeaSonic is a great brand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fry's on the other hand is a bad place.

The closest one near me has many many faulty products probably due to mishandling / shipping...

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why Fry's? Based on their inventory it's all pretty mediocre quality parts. What's the problem with ordering online?

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Why Fry's? Based on their inventory it's all pretty mediocre quality parts. What's the problem with ordering online?
    I was impatient, thus why Fry's was a necessity.

I went with the Corsair AX860. I know it's more than I need, but it's "future proof"? Tom's Hardware has a good power supply list, and this particular Corsair was rated as tier 1.

The PS was $160. So, not bad.

Thanks for all your guys' help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... yeah it's more than enough but... holy shit. Probably (I would've) make due with a cheaper but still good one.

It's just I don't trust Fry's after having to return $900~ worth of stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if that PSU just shorts out for you.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was impatient, thus why Fry's was a necessity.

I went with the Corsair AX860. I know it's more than I need, but it's "future proof"? Tom's Hardware has a good power supply list, and this particular Corsair was rated as tier 1.

The PS was $160. So, not bad.

Thanks for all your guys' help.
    It's a Seasonic OEM atleast so good quality. Just wish impatience wouldn't have been the cause to spend so much when you didn't really need to. Your money though. At least you picked a good quality PSU despite the price.

I guess I'm not one to talk though. Spent lightly over that for mine simply because I was annoyed at 2 Corsair PSUs (HX Series) of which both were loud and one had a coil whine. Still regret it though. Especially considering hardware is only getting more power efficient.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-10-07 at 05:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to put it out there.

Had to return a PSU (Corsair... TX? CX?), a MoBo with bent pin stating it was our fault which we bitched for at least half an hour before getting 'store credits' (to purchase 3DS games), CPU and GPU GTX 770 that was dubious and malfunctioning port.
    MoBo had bent pins (3), thus not caused by improperly placing the CPU, if it was that then the entire thing would be messed up. I make sure to not ever touch that area unless it was to install the CPU immediately.
    A PSU (Corsair HX? too many X) I wasn't able to return (their return policy at that time was 30 days after purchase), died well... 30 days after. Asus's MoBo nicely popped up a surge protection screen. Whoo!

Yeah... I don't trust Fry's.

edit: Oh right, my DVD drive (needed for school) decided to take a shit and did some nice scratch marks like the Xb360 did, and one of my Corsair Vengeance RAM I got from them died.

You'd think I learned after the 1st time. Derp.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-10-07 at 05:30 PM.