Question multiple wired internet conexions at home?

Hi! Very silly question here i guess but how can i connect the pc if the router is in another room? My home is kind of big so i need to have the router in the middle of it. Epic Paint skills attached for further clarification:

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only 2 options to be honest

A) Drill through the floor/walls/ceiling and physically run the Ethernet cables.

B) Ethernet over Power. Buy little adapter kits that plug into the wall that transfer Ethernet over powerlines. All circuits used need to be on the same panel though keep in mind. Houses with funky wiring can also cause an issue. Good news is the kits aren't too expensive and you could always purchase a kit with 2 to test for around $30 and if it works well then buy a another kit. Would give you 4 adapters (one for the router and other 3 for those artistic purple dots).

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4.../dp/B00AWRUICG

One plugs into the wall near the router, you plug a cable from the router into it. The other one plugs into the outlet near where you want to use ethernet and you just run another cable from that adapter to your device.

Note: I've never used more than a pair together so I'm not sure if using all 4 would be as easy as plug n play like the 2. I don't see why not though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Or 3) Do what I do. 50 foot ethernet cords that snake along the floor from room to room. Hey, having cables running all over the floor throughout the apartment is the sign of a true geek. Ethernet can go up to 100 meters between repeaters (almost 300 feet). And you can just put a switch in every room that needs internet. Run one cable into each room, then you can use shorter cables in each room to everything that needs access in that room.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2014-10-07 at 08:56 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Or 3) Do what I do. 50 foot ethernet cords that snake along the floor from room to room. Hey, having cables running all over the floor throughout the apartment is the sign of a true geek.
    No it's the sign of a lazy and broke geek. True geek would probably pay to have the data boxes installed in every room of his home.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    No it's the sign of a lazy and broke geek. True geek would probably pay to have the data boxes installed in every room of his home.
    I'm just lazy, not broke. I don't see the point of spending money to make things "look nice", even if I have the money. Not to mention I live in an apartment that won't allow me to drill holes in the wall, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just lazy, not broke. I don't see the point of spending money to make things "look nice", even if I have the money. Not to mention I live in an apartment that won't allow me to drill holes in the wall, etc.
    We currently live in rented accommodation and I have finally managed to get the house hard wired... (it took an age, and it hasn't really been done properly but I've got a semi working solution now)
    We finally got the cables routed on the outside walls of the house, poking them through existing holes or through the door/window frames.
    If running a bunch of cables is an issue (as it seemed to be here) Just run a single cable and terminate it with a switch at each end.

to make it "look nice" just tac the cables in snugly under frames and sills, behind pipes etc...

Thanks a lot for the answers! Having a long ethernet cable from the router to the PC (through the wall or the floor) won't be a problem signal/speed-wise? Anyway i'll probably buy those Ethernet over power devices Arbiter suggested, they are cheap and if they dont work i'll return the purchase to amazon

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alantor View Post
    Thanks a lot for the answers! Having a long ethernet cable from the router to the PC (through the wall or the floor) won't be a problem signal/speed-wise? Anyway i'll probably buy those Ethernet over power devices Arbiter suggested, they are cheap and if they dont work i'll return the purchase to amazon
    Nope, it'll be fine. Ethernet can go up to 100m between repeaters, and you won't lose any speed unless you are REALLY close to 100m with really cheap cable.

Ethernet over power will lose a LOT of speed compared to just running ethernet directly. It would be extremely noticeable compared to wiring with gigabit.

I always just drill into the floor and run it through the basement its cheap and easy. If you are a kid get you parents permission.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Nope, it'll be fine. Ethernet can go up to 100m between repeaters, and you won't lose any speed unless you are REALLY close to 100m with really cheap cable.

Ethernet over power will lose a LOT of speed compared to just running ethernet directly. It would be extremely noticeable compared to wiring with gigabit.
    Uhmm i've read good reviews but i'll see if i can do the wiring

@IIamaKing my mom is gonna get really happy when she sees the drills into the marble floor. That should make a good birthday present.

Or 3) Do what I do. 50 foot ethernet cords that snake along the floor from room to room. Hey, having cables running all over the floor throughout the apartment is the sign of a true geek. Ethernet can go up to 100 meters between repeaters (almost 300 feet). And you can just put a switch in every room that needs internet. Run one cable into each room, then you can use shorter cables in each room to everything that needs access in that room.
    This is what I had to do, except with ~120ft of cable, to get my office/PC room in my apartment wired. I might have to do it again since the wifi reception on the other size of the apartment(my bedroom) is very poor, but i'm too lazy to start working on that.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Many newer homes are wired for ethernet when they are built. It's easy enough to do it in older homes too, but unless you are really handy, you should have it done by an electrician who has experience with it. It's really not that different than running electrical wiring, just that the connections on either end are a bit different.

If you're just looking for the one connection, and running cable isn't possible, then the powerline connector solution is likely your best bet.

So i got the TP-Link 4010 today, I've gone from 4.5 Mbps to 6.5 Mbps download. Same ping (60ms), same upload (0.85 Mbps). Maybe a good PCI wifi card (half the price) would have given me the same results, i dont really know, but i think im gonna keep this ^^ \o/

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So i got the TP-Link 4010 today, I've gone from 4.5 Mbps to 6.5 Mbps download. Same ping (60ms), same upload (0.85 Mbps). Maybe a good PCI wifi card (half the price) would have given me the same results, i dont really know, but i think im gonna keep this ^^ \o/
    A) You didn't need to spend the money on the 500Mbps option. 200 would have sufficed.
    B) The adapters have less packet loss and won't get interference like WiFi.
    C) You stated you needed internet for 3 devices. You never stated what the devices were. I assumed some were TVs/consoles/etc. You did say wired.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just a small clarification:
    100MB Ethernet can have a cable length up to 100m (300ft). If you are using Gigabit Ethernet, then the maximum length is 20m (60ft).
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Just a small clarification:
    100MB Ethernet can have a cable length up to 100m (300ft). If you are using Gigabit Ethernet, then the maximum length is 20m (60ft).
    Sorry but you are wrong, gigabit cable that's used normally does get out to 100 meters or 328 feet before the signal has to be refreshed.

The partial chart below shows the mode and distance for a gigabit link...

1000BASE‑T Twisted-pair cabling (Cat-5, Cat-5e, Cat-6, Cat‑7) 100 meters
    1000BASE‑TX Twisted-pair cabling (Cat-6, Cat‑7) 100 meters

Here is the link to the full chart.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi! Very silly question here i guess but how can i connect the pc if the router is in another room? My home is kind of big so i need to have the router in the middle of it. Epic Paint skills attached for further clarification:

It depends upon how your dwelling is constructed, does it have a basement, or 2nd floor?

If you need more than one link, the power line adapters will not work to good.
    You are much better off running a cat 6 cable to a central location connected to a gigabit switch.
    Each length of cat 6 cannot be over 100 meters, or 328 feet.
    You can also run cat6 plenum rated cable inside heating/air conditioning ducts.
    If your dwelling has a lot of electrical interference, use shielded cat 6.

There is a possibility of running the network cabling alongside the telco cable,
    I would use shielded plenum rated cat6 cable to cut down on crosstalk.
    My Armory - Tenzi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bobn9lvu View Post
    Sorry but you are wrong, gigabit cable that's used normally does get out to 100 meters or 328 feet before the signal has to be refreshed.

The partial chart below shows the mode and distance for a gigabit link...

1000BASE‑T Twisted-pair cabling (Cat-5, Cat-5e, Cat-6, Cat‑7) 100 meters
    1000BASE‑TX Twisted-pair cabling (Cat-6, Cat‑7) 100 meters

Here is the link to the full chart.
    Ok, seems my information was wrong... and that information came from a university professor, specialized in communication. One would think he knew what he was talking about...
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet