Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

School excluded English speaking children from school trip

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...from-trip.html

A primary school has been accused of racism after English speaking children were barred from going on school trip and forced to attend classes instead.

St Mary's C of E Primary School in Kidderminster, Worcs., laid on a petting zoo visit on Tuesday for non-English speaking pupils only, while pupils who did speak the language had to stay in lessons.

Parents criticised the decision and said their children had been discriminated against for being British.

Several even refused to allow their children to go to school on the day of the trip to Rays Farm, near Bridgnorth, Shrops., which was laid on at the taxpayers expense.

Others claimed they were not even told of the excursion until they spotted other pupils boarding the bus.

She said the money spent on the trip – given to the school by Worcestershire County Council – was aimed at improving English speaking.
    Could anyone tell me how a school trip is supposed to improve English speaking? And while at it, it's totally okay to exclude the other kids who speak the language?

Deleted
    Maybe the goats spoke their language?

Well that makes little sense... Hang around people talking the language you are trying to learn = profit?

15+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea where anywhere you just mentioned is.

OT: there has to be a reason the school didn't want to say because their reasoning was gibberish. Maybe those kids get a lot of shit at school from the other students and teachers wanted to give them a day to themselves or something.
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2014-10-07 at 11:15 AM.

It's likely one of those schools. The sort where the bulk of students aren't British or simply can't speak English very well which is becoming an alarmingly common situation here in England.

15+ Year Old Account
    Get's money to spend on improving English - uses it for a trip to a petting zoo.

Just bad teachers/management.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Get's money to spend on improving English - uses it for a trip to a petting zoo.

Just bad teachers/management.
    They may simply have their hands tied for fear of being branded a 'racist' for expecting their students to integrate and learn the primary language of the country they're living in.

It was an educational trip for students who needed improvements in their ability to speak English.......

There is a very basic English class not far from where I live that is mostly for refugees. Maybe I should apply to that and yell racism when I don't get to go?

10+ Year Old Account
    I can actually see how taking only a part of the class (the ones that need it) helps the staff to focus on them better..
    It's easier to oversee 10 kids than 20... Common sense, I would say.

Without more detailed information, this is a moot incident to be discussed.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by madmanx View Post
    It was an educational trip for students who needed improvements in their ability to speak English.......
    The best way to learn a language is to be around people who speak it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by madmanx View Post
    How does a trip to a zoo improve their ability to speak English? How does separating them from the English speaking children improve their English?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    The best way to learn a language is to be around people who speak it.
    Yeah......
    That's when and why English speaking people have such immense problems with homophony when it comes to the language...

While it's the best way to learn the street jargon of any language to be around native speakers. It is also the worst way in regards of proper grammar and spelling. Schools are there to eliminate that.

I don't take 20 children to a pool class to learn swimming, when 10 of them already can swim..
    I only take the 10 that can't, and leave the other ones at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I can actually see how taking only a part of the class (the ones that need it) helps the staff to focus on them better..
    It's easier to oversee 10 kids than 20... Common sense, I would say.

Without more detailed information, this is a moot incident to be discussed.
    The whole 'no kid left behind' argument often works in theory but not in practice. I often found myself frustrated at school because problematic students would often soak up the vast majority of a teacher's time to the point where they were often overwhelmed and unable to attend to the regular kids in their class.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Yeah......
    I don't take 20 children to a pool class to learn swimming, when 10 of them already can swim..
    I only take the 10 that can't, and leave the other ones at home.
    ...and if they can already swim they can help teach other students or just, you know, have some fun during a school trip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesius Baelthar View Post
    The whole 'no kid left behind' argument often works in theory but not in practice. I often found myself frustrated at school because problematic students would often soak up the vast majority of a teacher's time to the point where they were often overwhelmed and unable to attend to the regular kids in their class.
    I agree with this...
    Hence why it's good to sometimes do something with those back bench people, and bring them a bit closer to the others..
    I have no problem with the separation in this case from that angle..... If I was a parent, I would have bitch too though. But from another aspect....
    I would have wanted for the ones not going to get an alternative fun day at school on the same day.

10+ Year Old Account
    England being a terrible country that no rational Westerner would everwant to visit, move to, or support?
    Surprise sur-fucking-prise.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-10-07 at 05:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesius Baelthar View Post
    ...and if they can already swim they can help teach other students or just, you know, have some fun during a school trip.
    No they cannot....
    We aren't talking about 15 - 17 yr olds....
    We're talking very young kids, that can barely take care of themselves, let alone others.

Quote Originally Posted by Mage of Rage View Post
    England being a terrible country that no rational Westerner would everwant to visit, move to, or support?
    It's not terrible everywhere. There's still a lot of decent places to live. Excessive immigration combined with a lack of forced integration has unfortunately turned many areas into cesspits however.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol wtf are you talking about?
    England is a very popular country for foreigners to visit.... I believe it's tourist numbers are fairly high. And regarding living there, the only ones who would have a problem are probably those that take issue with the climate/weather..... It's too rainy for my taste, for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Teaching 6 and 7 year olds, whose native language is English, how to say the word "goat" seems like a waste of time, so it's no wonder they only took non-English speakers if the intention was to improve their English.

p.s. Before the crazies come in - C of E means it's a Christian school.

Oh wait, the crazies have arrived.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Multiculturalism" Bringing a segregated xenophobic cesspit to a neighborhood near you.