Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best time to call it quits on WoW?

I'm on the fence here and I need some advice. My sub ran out a few weeks ago and I'm mulling the decision on if I want to continue playing WoW or not. I think that WoW is still one of the best games out, even though as time goes on they keep making changes, some I agree with and others I dont. I understand that it's not all about me and want Blizzard to grow their game accordingly but I have to stress that fact. My main issue now is the fact that after taking a 2 week break, I have had SO MUCH fun playing other games at my leisure. I raid in wow, and that is what I enjoy the most. I'm just sick and tired of playing a game where I have to rely on 9/24 other people to achieve common goals.

It's frustrating when the main tank decides they're going to play Destiny for example, and then there is no more raiding until he decides that he wants to come back and earn the new spoils(loot). It's frustrating when you're 9/14 and there are 5 bosses standing alive in Heroic mode but no one wants to play anymore because they don't want to coach properly. I'm tired of veteran players expecting newer players to just "get it" after playing for 2 months or so and not be coached anymore. I mean what is the point of having leaders and vent/teamspeak/mumble when no one wants to do their job and call stuff out for the group. I mean isn't that the point of teamplay? That's like having an NBA/NFL coach just say "oh well you all have been playing basketball/football since you were 7 and you should know what to do now, so I don't have to do MY JOB anymore and make on the fly adjustments/judgement calls."

I just don't know if I want to drop the money on WoD when I could just simply walk away, once and forever, but you all know how it is when you TRULY enjoy something, it is very hard to let it go. And WoD does look promising, because if I am not mistaken, they're going back to the original roots, 20 man mythic is the end game, 10-25 Normal(flex)/Heroic(normal) are the first stepping stone(s).

I'm not here to flame like I normally do, just looking for reasons to keep playing because all I can do is remind myself of how much time I waste relying on others to find happiness in a video game when I could just go play my Steam/console backlog and find equal satisfaction on my own, but at the same time those games just don't do it for me anymore. I used to play Quake OSP/CPMA competitively and I remember when TeamDeathmatch and CTF were in my mind the ultimate team games. I've always loved team games but when the communities died out(something that WoW hasn't had to worry about AS MUCH) there was always good old fashioned duel. 1v1 no need to rely on anyone else except another individual which is easy to find. It's hard to find a decent guild these days, especially when EVERY expansion I take this EXACT stance as I am now and then I eventually come back late and I'm behind and it's hard to join a good guild.

For those who care this is my main: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rizly/advanced

I didn't play early MoP due to school and work, didn't have time to grind dailies but when ToT came out I got hooked after watching the trailer and decided to do LFR to "see the content". Well that only made things worse because then I wanted normals. I left Lei Shen standing due to stupid guild drama and having to rely on others. Then SoO came out and I was like I'm just going to get my Legendary cloak and kill Garrosh in LFR and be done with it, but then my old guild from TBC got back together JUST FOR FLEX MODE and as you know.... We all got hooked. Only doing flex turned in to doing normals, then working normals turned in to farming them and then we got in to heroic.

I eventually, being the shit head that I am, elitist prick, ended up burning that bridge because I got pissed off that everyone just flaked out mid heroic progression to go play, what I feel is an unfinished, DLC ridden game, aka Destiny.

I called abunch of people out and even thought about starting my own guild but it's far to late. Of course when WoD comes out everyone starts fresh and it'll be easy to "get in where I fit in" and probably join a really good progression oriented guild, but of course that is why I'm here asking for advice in the first place.

TL,DR; should I just put the nail in the coffin on this game once and for all or should I just buckle up my chin strap and dive in to whatever WoD brings DAY ONE?

10+ Year Old Account
    worst time to quit would be before an expansion, you will be wondering what you are missing..i think the best time to quit would be during the 14 month content luls...you've experienced everything the expansion has to offer and by the time the new expansion comes out you are long gone and found something else to occupy your time.

How many threads like this do we need? If you're enjoying the game, play it. If you're not enjoying the game, don't play it. No one besides you can tell you what you will or won't enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    worst time to quit would be before an expansion, you will be wondering what you are missing..i think the best time to quit would be during the 14 month content luls...you've experienced everything the expansion has to offer and by the time the new expansion comes out you are long gone and found something else to occupy your time.
    That is very true, I think one of my problems is never having the luxury of being able to take a break during the content luls because the guilds I am in are always behind the curve and having to progress when its been out for so long and everyone is drained.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HavelTheRock View Post
    How many threads like this do we need? If you're enjoying the game, play it. If you're not enjoying the game, don't play it. No one besides you can tell you what you will or won't enjoy.
    Well see thats the thing because this isn't a single player game. My enjoyment of the game relies on other people. I'm wondering if other people get frustrated with how things go in some cases, its hard to enjoy something when people flake out, but you still hold on to the thought of enjoying it and it keeps you hooked but you don't get there because you cannot kill a raid boss by yourself lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    worst time to quit would be before an expansion, you will be wondering what you are missing..
    Not when it's WoD...glad I'm getting out now before everything goes tits-up in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Staticus View Post
    Not when it's WoD...glad I'm getting out now before everything goes tits-up in a few days.
    Yeah its like I feel what you're saying too. I played path 6.0.2 on the PTR and was like, man this is awful, I wonder how long it'll take them to smooth things out with all these drastic changes being made.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Subduer View Post
    If you're on 9/14 HC bosses by now your guild must have been doing SoO for many months already, or at least the people in your guild must've had. So it's completely understandable to me that people might want to take a break from the game after a few months.

In my experience people will start to lose interest in a new raid after 2-3 months of raiding it, and you'll have to start replacing numbers if you want to continue progress until the end, but to expect people to do the same raid for over 6 months is just when things start getting unrealistic in my opinion.
    Well thats the thing my guild started doing Flex mode in May and then we did Normals and Heroic over the summer, it wasn't even that long, but why not finish it out before you take a break is my question? How is it fun to continually leave bosses standing or need nerfs to accomplish boss kills, which has been the case with the guild I raided with since TBC, http://us.battle.net/wow/en/guild/ko...ainted_Morals/

when we did get to heroics it took blizzard having to unlock 4/4 upgrades for them to be able to progress past H Sha of Pride.

As a late TBC/early wrath player I've had some breaks in the past years.
    I do however keep coming back. Other mmorpgs just don't feel as "fluid" and home like WoW does.

I get what you are saying about being dependant on other players. Unfortunately I'm in the category players that does expect people to just "get it " after the 10th try. I know, my bad ...but no less frustrating.

If you are tired of not finding a good guild, maybe moving to another ( more pro ? ) realm might make you enjoy WoW again.
    I certainly would not stop right before WoD hits.
    Loads of new stuff to do that will keep you busy and interested.

If you do find yourself in the same situation after a while, just have a break.
    You can always come back and pick up where you left of, it's not like you have to quit for life

I'd just quit when I felt like it. I need no reason to stop playing the game. If I don't want to continue playing I'll unsubscribe and move on with my life just like I do with every other game.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly there is no "right" time to call it quits. The gist of it is stop playing when you stop having fun, and if you get the inkling again to start playing, then do so. The thing with a subscription game (or any game for that matter) is that you can take a break whenever you feel you need it. This game seems to be a prime example of the sunk cost fallacy. Just because you have invested time, doesn't mean that you should keep investing. You need to way the pros and cons, and if it works out that this is the end, then so be it.

In short, do what you feel like, and if you change your mind, don't trip, just go with it.

As a human being, you are not infallible, and have a right to change your mind at any time. Don't worry about the right "forever" choice. Think about the right "for now" choice, and don't be afraid to go back on your previous thought if your current thought supports a different position.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindicatu View Post
    As a late TBC/early wrath player I've had some breaks in the past years.
    I do however keep coming back. Other mmorpgs just don't feel as "fluid" and home like WoW does.

I get what you are saying about being dependant on other players. Unfortunately I'm in the category players that does expect people to just "get it " after the 10th try. I know, my bad ...but no less frustrating.

If you are tired of not finding a good guild, maybe moving to another ( more pro ? ) realm might make you enjoy WoW again.
    I certainly would not stop right before WoD hits.
    Loads of new stuff to do that will keep you busy and interested.

If you do find yourself in the same situation after a while, just have a break.
    You can always come back and pick up where you left of, it's not like you have to quit for life
    haha thanks for the advice man, I feel you I expect people to "get it" too but good leaders always call stuff out. Our problem was that our MT had real life stuff to do and he left it up to the "officers" to lead the raids that week, well the officers weren't up to snuff and they're honestly shitty. None of them had the ability or know how to actually lead yet were left with that role.

I'm as elitist as they come but I've been in really good guilds before back in Wrath and the great leaders know how to set up a fight, set expectations and make call outs. And I hate it when someone tries to step up in a "casual" guild that is actually semi-hardcore but get stepped on because people are insecure. Like I would still be in my old guild if they would have just let me step up and nerd it out because, they didn't want to do it and openly admitted it.

I don't know it just frustrating.

15+ Year Old Account
    Best time to call it quits on WoW?
    When you no longer find it fun/value for money. That's the only correct answer, and not one anyone else can answer for you.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the ending months of MoP mate, people are being disillusioned by it and they want to try out new things so they won't get completely bored with WoW. If you feel you're disillusioned with WoW then there's nothing anyone can tell you to reassure you on any course. I only speak from my own experience. Have been on a break for 6 months now and my body aches to return for WoD, my frustration mostly drives from the fact my mains are trapped on a dead realm with nothing going for it at all and connections did absolutely nothing for the alliance side (Check Al'Akir, Xavious, Skullcrusher on EU and I guarantee you'll weep for me). In between this time I gave ESO and WildStar a chance diddn't like them and got bored with them quite fast. My advice would be if you're tired at the moment take a break till WoD and by then if you were still disinterested move on, if not come back and start anew, find a new guild with people who are serious about their raid nights and are unlikely to leave mid progress to play Destiny.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Permatree View Post
    Honestly there is no "right" time to call it quits. The gist of it is stop playing when you stop having fun, and if you get the inkling again to start playing, then do so. The thing with a subscription game (or any game for that matter) is that you can take a break whenever you feel you need it. This game seems to be a prime example of the sunk cost fallacy. Just because you have invested time, doesn't mean that you should keep investing. You need to way the pros and cons, and if it works out that this is the end, then so be it.

In short, do what you feel like, and if you change your mind, don't trip, just go with it.

As a human being, you are not infallible, and have a right to change your mind at any time. Don't worry about the right "forever" choice. Think about the right "for now" choice, and don't be afraid to go back on your previous thought if your current thought supports a different position.
    I feel that man. I get finicky at times...

Just like a real relationship, you never really move on unless you have something else to pre-occupy your time. If you find a similar hobby that you can spend time on (like you did with WoW) then it's easy to escape from the game. Even then it's hard for things of similar interest to take up as much time as WoW did because most hobbies require you to spend enormous amounts of money. (Even if it's still video games, you'll be spending 60+ bucks to play one until you move on to the next.)

It's hard to say "you quit" to something that's easy to come back to. There's no need to define it, it's just a matter of whether you are or are not playing anymore.

I'm just thinking about all the old school TBC'ers I used to play with that have moved on and I wonder how they did it lol.. Game just keeps calling me..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joegrizly View Post
    TL,DR; should I just put the nail in the coffin on this game once and for all or should I just buckle up my chin strap and dive in to whatever WoD brings DAY ONE?
    Do what I'll doing, just don't try for Mythic and stick with Flex Heroic and PVP. Its not that I can't do Mythic (I love HM content, plus my character is in my sig if you want a look)) but more that I'm tired of playing other people's schedules for 2-4 hour chunks a few times a week. I can deal with a lesser casual difficulty for PVE and loot that is a tier lower. Plus, as I previously stated in other threads, I'm still salty they took my 10-man HM option away so I rather not contribute to the fixed 20-man.

Now I have more free time to get dirty in Final Fantasy 14's(quickly turning into my favorite MMO of choice tbh) HM/Extreme content which is more manageable than WoW's when it comes to time invested and mostly queue-able for extra random fun.

Whatever you choose to do, have fun and good luck!
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Do what I'll doing, just don't try for Mythic and stick with Flex Heroic and PVP. Its not that I can't do Mythic (I love HM content, plus my character is in my sig if you want a look)) but more that I'm tired of playing other people's schedules for 2-4 hour chunks a few times a week. I can deal with a lesser casual difficulty for PVE and loot that is a tier lower. Plus, as I previously stated in other threads, I'm still salty they took my 10-man HM option away so I rather not contribute to the fixed 20-man.

Now I have more free time to get dirty in Final Fantasy 14's(quickly turning into my favorite MMO of choice tbh) HM/Extreme content which is more manageable than WoW's when it comes to time invested and mostly queue-able for extra random fun.

Whatever you choose to do, have fun and good luck!
    Sounds like a good plan I'm just a major nerd when it comes to feeling like I HAVE to do the hardest content, I'll try your approach and hopefully it leaves me content. I feel you though I can't stand raiding on other peoples schedules and then when they decide to break it screws us over.

I know I'll probably keep playing, but I just wanted to see other peoples thoughts and I appreciate your input.

This can be answered simply by do you still enjoy this game?Also Destiny just came out i mean you had over a year to progress threw siege.

Seriously, i know for some people 12-15$ can be alot,
    but personally for me, even if i log for 10-15hours per month it's still worth it.

Do the casual pvp, or some lfr, or whenever i feel bored i can log in, do some arch or smth.

But for WoD will be good, since as you mentioned the raiding will be really "flexible", you wont count if 1 person is missing, or you can bring more people etc.
    So i suggest, buy WoD, try it the first few months, then if you dont like it, unsub and leave for good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misume View Post
    The day the Mythic Progression Thread isn't 95% trolling is the day Prime comes back to power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HavelTheRock View Post
    This is actually the best advice you can get. That, and if parts of the game starts to feel like a chore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ktperry View Post
    Seriously, i know for some people 12-15$ can be alot,
    but personally for me, even if i log for 10-15hours per month it's still worth it.

Do the casual pvp, or some lfr, or whenever i feel bored i can log in, do some arch or smth.

But for WoD will be good, since as you mentioned the raiding will be really "flexible", you wont count if 1 person is missing, or you can bring more people etc.
    So i suggest, buy WoD, try it the first few months, then if you dont like it, unsub and leave for good.
    I keep saying it, the price I pay for subscribtion is still cheaper than all the other hobbies I have.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..