Page 1 of 2
LastLast

HoTS/Blizzcon/Beta

Does anyone else think they will announce HoTS going into beta or open beta at blizzcon? I want to try it out but I don't have alpha and hoping to see what they've got in store for it at blizzcon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am sure they will give us a general idea of when open beta will begin. Even still, they seem to be rolling out invites faster and faster, so you might not have to wait until then to test. Make sure you have your system details uploaded and you've opted in!
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I am sure they will give us a general idea of when open beta will begin. Even still, they seem to be rolling out invites faster and faster, so you might not have to wait until then to test. Make sure you have your system details uploaded and you've opted in!
    A little weird that they suddenly show the amount of users on now, but it's always a completely rounded off number, like 2,250,000 on or something.

But yeah, I don't think it will be sudden "Betas out guys!", since they could of just held off on shutting down the alpha for the week until BlizzCon then and re-opened it as the Beta on BlizzCon. It will probably be a general date, announcing that it will be an open beta, and more maps and heroes, maybe a new game mode or something too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    A little weird that they suddenly show the amount of users on now, but it's always a completely rounded off number, like 2,250,000 on or something.

But yeah, I don't think it will be sudden "Betas out guys!", since they could of just held off on shutting down the alpha for the week until BlizzCon then and re-opened it as the Beta on BlizzCon. It will probably be a general date, announcing that it will be an open beta, and more maps and heroes, maybe a new game mode or something too.
    I think the users online thing is just broken, not rounding.

I also don't think the beta will start that soon. I think they will just let us know generally when we can expect it. I expect something like "early 2015" or "quarter X of 2015."

| twitch | bsky
    |

15+ Year Old Account
    They've said no more wipes after the one that just happened. With Hearthstone that was late September with the open beta starting late January, not sure when the actual open beta announcement went out though. Wouldn't surprise me to see open beta start in a similar time frame.

I think the users online thing is just broken, not rounding.

I also don't think the beta will start that soon. I think they will just let us know generally when we can expect it. I expect something like "early 2015" or "quarter X of 2015."
    I'm not sure what causes it, I just meant I find it funny that it's always a rounded number I meant. I'm not sure if it's actually rounded or not. Probably is broken though.

But agreed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard did say that they changed there servers(that is what took so long) and that they will be adding more people, do have have enough to be in beta? I am not sure. What do you mean in beta? Open?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Blizzard did say that they changed there servers(that is what took so long) and that they will be adding more people, do have have enough to be in beta? I am not sure. What do you mean in beta? Open?
    open beta means the game is still in beta but is free for anyone to sign up for, it's usually when the game's close to being officially released but since it's still beta if they find any game breaking bugs or exploits they can wipe everything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskar000 View Post
    open beta means the game is still in beta but is free for anyone to sign up for, it's usually when the game's close to being officially released but since it's still beta if they find any game breaking bugs or exploits they can wipe everything.
    Yes but some people think when it hits beta that it will be open, that is not always the case.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Yes but some people think when it hits beta that it will be open, that is not always the case.
    I think it will be just because they had such a long Alpha already, and instead of going into Beta after redoing the servers, they stuck with Alpha, even after saying there won't be any more resets, which is like Hearthstone did, and then went into Open Beta afterwards. I don't think they'll change it to a Beta until they decide to open it to all.

As this is meant to be the last phase of Alpha, I expect Beta to begin just after Blizzcon.
    It won't be an open beta though, there will still be invites. Just, more invites than Alpha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beta will be soon being that it is the last tech phase of the alpha as they start to bring in spectator mode and possibly ranked matches o.0 cannot wait for that to play against strictly good players! But anyways, I think beta will be within the next month to 1.5 months. More than likely they will be rolling out the new heros at double the pace because of the ever growing base in the beta. I am excited and cannot wait. Though wow will occupy the heavy majority of my time come Nov lol.

Where is that number?

Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    Where is that number?
    It's right upon entering the game in the chat log, above how many people are in the chat server or something.

It's right upon entering the game in the chat log, above how many people are in the chat server or something.
    Ahh I thought its online somewhere, well I don't have access to alpha so I can't read that, someone should put it somewhere public

Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    Ahh I thought its online somewhere, well I don't have access to alpha so I can't read that, someone should put it somewhere public
    It's usually around 2 million the last few times I've seen it. I would take it with a grain of salt though, like Tziva said it's probably busted in some way because it always shows up with completely rounded numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, no, and it will still be closed initially. But the invites will ramp up in frequency, and eventually it will go to open beta.

If I'm wrong about that, I'll eat my hat. Your hat too.

But, yeah, anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they did give us general timeframe at Blizzcon (as in, what part of 2015) for when we can expect to see open beta. For all intents and purposes, the distinction between "end phase technical alpha" and "early phase beta" is basically semantics, from a pratical standpoint. People don't give a shit what you're calling it, what they care about is when they can play it. So the critical info, as far as the community is concerned, is when it goes from closed testing to open testing.

It's usually around 2 million the last few times I've seen it. I would take it with a grain of salt though, like Tziva said it's probably busted in some way because it always shows up with completely rounded numbers.
    Well, also because I highly doubt there's two million people playing the game right now. I think they're lucky if they get that many playing it once it's live never mind closed testing.

| twitch | bsky
    |

What do you mean now? If you are referring to ingame that number has always been there. While not accurate, but it's always been there. As for new game modes they did just put in the one where you can create your own match, so there's that. Doubt it'll be anymore game modes for awhile.

Well, also because I highly doubt there's two million people playing the game right now. I think they're lucky if they get that many playing it once it's live never mind closed testing.
    That too. Honestly the users in chat is what I go by, which is usually around 2,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    What do you mean now? If you are referring to ingame that number has always been there. While not accurate, but it's always been there. As for new game modes they did just put in the one where you can create your own match, so there's that. Doubt it'll be anymore game modes for awhile.
    Hm? It definitely wasn't there when I started, there was just the users in chat. There's two different numbers now, users in chat and like players online.

15+ Year Old Account
    That too. Honestly the users in chat is what I go by, which is usually around 2,000.

Hm? It definitely wasn't there when I started, there was just the users in chat. There's two different numbers now, users in chat and like players online.
    I think the users in chat are people actually playing HotS and online is all the battle net users.