LOoking for computer build help

I really want to try and build a computer, mainly to play a heavily modded skyrim, middle earth shadows of mordo, Diablo 3 etc. I tend to have my browser open with a lot of tabs and run a unch of stuff at the same time so I'm looking for something with a lot of ram, and hard drive space because im a data packrat. I don't want to spend too much, but im hoping to find something that will do what i need it too. My biggest fear is buying parts people say are the best, and then finding out they aren't compatible.

*From sticky

Include the following information when posting a request.

Budget
    Resolution
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS?
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Ideally include a list of parts, we see the same request almost every day. There are other topics that have parts lists that you can copy and modify.

Budget: under 1k, ideally as lo as possile while still doing what i want it to.
    resolution: idk?
    game settings desired: i dont need everything to be on the highest settings, i just want to play games, with no lag, and not have to close everything to do things
    other stuff i do: have vent/aim/browser open as i do things, just basic crap
    parts that can be reused: i have my own keyboard, mouse, monitor, and a controller i can use. other than that starting from scratch
    peripherals: no

parts lists: everything? i dont know what exactly i need. the only things i want specifically are lots of ram, and hard drive space

Hiya...my suggestion:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.95 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Micro Center)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.00 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($33.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $993.86
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-10 08:46 EDT-0400

The i5-4690K, Z97 motherboard + GTX 970 should handle any games. 8GB RAM should be fine as you're not video encoding. If 1TB isn't enough space, 2TB option below:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.95 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.00 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($33.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1016.87
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-10 09:05 EDT-0400

Can go even cheaper but would need to drop to a non-overcloackable CPU + motherboard +/- lower GPU.
    Last edited by CandyFresh; 2014-10-10 at 01:13 PM.
    CPU: Ivy Bridge i5-3570K OC @ 4.2 GHz, Cooler: ARTIC Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
    MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LE, RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
    GPU: MSI R9-280X, Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE
    SSD: 120GB SanDisk SSD, HDD: 2x 1TB Seagate HDD in RAID 0
    PSU: OCZ 700W (multi-rail) PSU, Case: Cooler Master Elite 334U case
    Monitors: ASUS VE247H & ASUS VE228H Cooling: Totes cute Akasa 120mm Rainbow LED fans

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnion View Post
    the only things i want specifically are lots of ram, and hard drive space
    Why do you think you need "lots of ram"? And how much hard drive space are you talking?

You also ignored the OS question so I'm assuming that means you need an OS?

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Why do you think you need "lots of ram"? And how much hard drive space are you talking?

You also ignored the OS question so I'm assuming that means you need an OS?
    no i have a windows disk for that, just forgot to put that in the second post

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    no i have a windows disk for that, just forgot to put that in the second post
    In that case, I recommend going for the first build on the list, and swap out the OS for a 256GB MX100 SSD. Should bring you a couple dollars over 1k. If you really want to go lower, you can drop on the GPU or not add the SSD, but the SSD saves you a lot of loading time and boot time and the GPU itself is one of the best price per dollar GPUs out right now. It's almost as good as a 780i at a $350 price point. It can handle any game you throw at it on Ultra at the moment.

In that case, I recommend going for the first build on the list, and swap out the OS for a 256GB MX100 SSD. Should bring you a couple dollars over 1k. If you really want to go lower, you can drop on the GPU or not add the SSD, but the SSD saves you a lot of loading time and boot time and the GPU itself is one of the best price per dollar GPUs out right now. It's almost as good as a 780i at a $350 price point. It can handle any game you throw at it on Ultra at the moment.
    would that case hold both an SSD and a HDD? i suppose i could put bi intense games on the SSD and movies/documents/etc on the HDD

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    That case can hold 8 HDDs. Not 100% if that case has an adapter for SSDs, but they aren't like harddrives. You could mount a SSD pretty much anywhere you like. People have been known to mount them in the back of the case to hide them away even or just lay them in the bottom. They don't have a disk so vibration isn't an issue.

Deleted
    At Candyfresh's first build as others said you can put an ssd in there.

I went with something similar but different parts, came a few bucks over:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.96 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.99 @ Mwave)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($118.98 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($73.80 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($349.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design FD-CA-CORE-3300-BL ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($50.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1016.69
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-10 12:49 EDT-0400
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2014-10-10 at 04:50 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    8 HDDs *starry eyed*
    Keep in mind you're still limited to the motherboard's options though. Motherboard above has 4 SATA ports, which are used for both CD drives as well as hard drives. In this case: 1 SSD, 1 HDD, 1 DVD Drive, and one spare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind you're still limited to the motherboard's options though.
    No, you can just toss in a controller card if you need more for some reason.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    No, you can just toss in a controller card if you need more for some reason.
    Eh true, didn't even consider that option.