Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasolina View Post
    and it takes 5 more seconds to see that your article is from 2014 and that by 2015 cameos started to happen:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...cameo#/slide/1
    How many seconds does it take to read the date of a post?

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    This movie is going to suck but it's not because the main four are female.
    This. I loved the original Ghostbusters. I don't think any remake or reboot is going to be good.

Wow, if this had originally been in Cinema/TV Shows subforum, it would have been closed a long time ago. Let's keep in mind that since this is a different subforum, we have different rules and expectations. This is a subforum to discuss (in this case) cinema, and not a place to air out political conspiracy theories or agendas.

Taking off the mod hat, I liked the original Ghostbusters, and don't really have a problem with this reboot because of the cast. I don't remember who dismissed Bridesmaids a couple pages ago, but that was a pretty funny movie. Kristen Wiig and McKinnon have been probably the two strongest performers on SNL for the past half-decade, which, granted, has fallen far from grace, and Melissa McCarthy is flat out fucking hilarious. I don't know the fourth actress.

The question, to me, is if the movie will be any good. The director of this movie directed Bridesmaids (solid) and has been directing TV comedies for awhile now, including episodes of The Office, Nurse Jackie, Parks and Rec, Weeds, Arrested Development, and even guest directed episodes of 30 Rock and Mad Men.

The writer wrote the Heat, which is a fucking hilarious movie with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy, and a bunch of episodes of Parks and Rec.

I'm not dismayed by those credentials. Those look like genuine comedy credentials.

The question to me, isn't whether the movie will be good or bad, so much as whether I find the new ghostbusters as believable and natural in their roles as I did the original cast.

I'm perfectly comfortable with the movie being cheesy, so long as I'm not constantly making poor comparisons from the new cast to the originals.

For me, the major red flag is still Melissa McCarthy, who seems to exist in that "ME FAT WOMAN! ME FAT SO ME FUNNY! FAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT!!" space that Rebel Wilson is currently also mining(Which is just as annoying now as it was when she played the just as horrible fat joke Tooula on Pizza here in Australia). It wasn't funny when when it 1st appeared, and it's still not funny now. I'll be glad if I'm proved wrong.

I'm still hoping it bombs bad enough that studios get scared off from remaking older franchises. I can't think of one reboot that's been beter than the original, and I havea sinking feeling we're going to continue to see them (Well that and freaking "young adult" adoptions that think they're going to be the next Harry Potter (Psst....YOU WON'T BE!))
    Last edited by Icaras; 2016-02-11 at 10:13 AM.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Deleted
    They casted Hemsworth to bring women to the movies lmao. They wanted to make a feminist GB with female cast but in the end the only hot male cast will be the reason women will actually watch the movie.
    And they will of course credit the success to the female cast

What a good time to be a feminist

I dunno, I thought his casting was more an attempt to get us nerds to see it(Look, it's Thor! I bet you internet people forget you hate this now...wait, what do you mean everyone actually likes the Loki guy more in those movies?)...actually probably both, most women I know fancy Chris Hemsworth.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    I'm still hoping it bombs bad enough that studios get scared off from remaking older franchises. I can't think of one reboot that's been beter than the original, and I havea sinking feeling we're going to continue to see them
    I don't think that they are going to get scared off, no matter what this movie or even others do. There's enough of them that make money to be worth the risks to the studios.

I don't know about better than the original, but they haven't all been bad by any means - I quite enjoyed Jurassic World and Mad Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    I don't think that they are going to get scared off, no matter what this movie or even others do. There's enough of them that make money to be worth the risks to the studios.

I don't know about better than the original, but they haven't all been bad by any means - I quite enjoyed Jurassic World and Mad Max.
    Look at the likes and the dislikes on this trailer

Now since this is just an announcement trailer, and not the full one, it doesn't give us an accurate representation, but I'm betting this will be the biggest bomb of 2016.

The comments on the trailer are pretty fucking funny as well
    Blizzard White Knighting is not allowed

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larryg121 View Post
    Due to the death of Harold Ramis, the new Ghostbusters is going to be an complete reboot starring an all-female cast; however, they will not mention the original movie at all nor will there be any cameos from Dan Akyroyd, Bill Murray or Ernie Hudson. It makes sense though, considering that it's an entirely new "world", in which the original characters don't exist and it's set in a modern day setting. So, who is looking forward to seeing what Paul Frieg and his crew do with the reboot of this great American movie?
    Political Correctness gone crazy.

Not going to waste my money seeing it. Ghostbusters the Video Game was the last real installation to the series. Sorry folks.
    Fuck Paul Feigg and his Lesbian feminazis. I'll take the delight that was Venkman's womanizing any day over this hyper triggered bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nye the Spy View Post

Now since this is just an announcement trailer, and not the full one, it doesn't give us an accurate representation, but I'm betting this will be the biggest bomb of 2016.

yeah, that's me right about now

10+ Year Old Account

The people who care about announcement trailers and vote/comment are people like many of us on here - and we clearly don't care for it. But we can't be the intended audience for this, so its possible that it will do ok. I personally agree with you though, I think it will be a bomb as well. But even if it is, that's certainly not going to stop the reboot-train for other older movies. There have been enough successes that studios will think its worthwhile to keep trying.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

It's an announcement for the trailer, with a small clip provided. The clip in itself sucks because it looks like a generic action film.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    The people who care about announcement trailers and vote/comment are people like many of us on here - and we clearly don't care for it. But we can't be the intended audience for this, so its possible that it will do ok. I personally agree with you though, I think it will be a bomb as well. But even if it is, that's certainly not going to stop the reboot-train for other older movies. There have been enough successes that studios will think its worthwhile to keep trying.
    It will make enough on name recognition alone. Despite what we think or feel, enough people will hear "ghostbusters", see the big name funny-person cast and see the memorable logo and it will be enough draw to make a tidy profit.

If it actually looses money I would be extremely surprised. You have to remember, we are not the target demographic for this movie. This movie is strictly aimed at kids, tumblristas and people who don't care about movies but know the ghostbusters name.

This is not a funny comment but I feel it pretty much sums up what many of us think about the movie

Quote Originally Posted by Random Youtube Comment
    'Ghostbusters is back and fully rebooted'. This is what I have an issue with.. Ladies? Sure! Get some ladies on the team! All ladies? Whatever, not sure it makes a whole lot of sense but I'm actually okay with a full female team. All the original cast members returning for minor cameos? This is why I'm frustrated. Why not pass the torch? Why not continue on from what they built in the beginning? You've got all the original cast members in it anyway. Come up with a clever and fitting way that Egon died during an experiment and pass the torch onto these new ladies. Why restart a new "canon"? I'd love to see the remaining guys similarly to where we saw them in the beginning of Ghostbusters 2. Old, out of shape, unwilling to put the tan back on and strap a proton pack to their backs. I do not want to see the original actors driving cabs or being scared bellhops. Have respect for the original actors and the original fans and give us some closure on where the original guys ended up. Then pass the torch and make sub-par crap movies for the rest of eternity. At least we got to see the guys one last time before the movies turn into the modern crap that all movies are now.
    I mean, extreme ghostbusters got that right. Though it was only Egon and Janine (I don't remember if they ever addressed what happened to the rest of the team) they were there training and helping a new generation. It seems like this movie just will ignore the previous ones. Why? Why not make a proper sequel instead of pretending that the other movies never happened? I know Harold Ramis passed away, but why instead of using the opportunity to honor him instead he, and the rest of the original team, gets erased?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    It will make enough on name recognition alone. Despite what we think or feel, enough people will hear "ghostbusters", see the big name funny-person cast and see the memorable logo and it will be enough draw to make a tidy profit.

If it actually looses money I would be extremely surprised. You have to remember, we are not the target demographic for this movie. This movie is strictly aimed at kids, tumblristas and people who don't care about movies but know the ghostbusters name.
    That's the other issue I have. Everything that surrounds the movie seems to be more interested on it having a female cast than what story it is going to tell. "Hey guys, look The Ghostbusters are all female now! Isn't that great?" "Yeah, that's ok, but what's going to happen in the movie? What's the basic synopsis?" "Who cares? All the main characters are women!" "Yeah, that's nice, but..." "What? You don't like women? Are you a misogynist?". I Can't tell if the movie will be any good, though I don't really have any hopes for it. Someone mentioned that it has competent people behind it, so who knows, maybe it will be actually good (I can't tell as I don't know jack shit about actors/writers/directors).

Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    It's an announcement for the trailer, with a small clip provided. The clip in itself sucks because it looks like a generic action film.
    And that's why I said we can't get an accurate representation yet.
    Blizzard White Knighting is not allowed

Deleted
    Trailer is out...

Were I meant to laugh at any point? I'm not sure...
    Last edited by mmocced9c7d33d; 2016-03-03 at 11:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why we need new Ghostbusters of any gender.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    To be fair that could be said of the bulk of the movies that come out now, if not all of them.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Because somebody thought they could make money with this.
    I for my part will do my best to prove them wrong. Except the critics go crazy over this movie. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    Trailer is out...

Were I meant to laugh at any point? I'm not sure...
    My 80's childhood feels irreversibly soiled. I still want to believe this is just a bad cosplay.