Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    No. We already haves laws and rules that protect animals, which they are.

We dont even give humans human rights, maybe once we can get people to not let other people starve or be homeless? But then i guess that would upset the holy prophet ayn rand and her caliph rand paul, to go against her philosophy of eternal human suffering.
    Last edited by arandomuser; 2014-10-10 at 07:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Rich hit the nail on the head. Let the monkey tell the court what kinds of rights he or she'd like and then we'll discuss it.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2014-10-10 at 07:28 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

i do believe they should have some kind of rights set up. especially apes and bonobos, due to their much more peaceful ways.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    The chimp should tell the court what he wants and the law should stand by it.
    I second this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Should humans have human rights?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Sentient rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    They're not human, so no on the human rights thing, but I'd love it if they made privately owning primates illegal. That's like owning a 2 year old human child for the next 40 years.
    A 2 year-old that can fucking ruin you if it's having a bad day...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    More reason not to keep them as pets!

If any animal is given special protections it should be primates first and foremost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should they have rights?

Yes, in that they should not be mistreated. We humans should not hunt and torture them, aside from legitimate hunting purposes (meat, population control) and if we do hunt them, should kill them with as little pain as possible.

Should they have human rights?

No, they are not human, nor do they have the cognative abilities to understand how to utilize those freedoms. I mean, how exactly is a chimp capable of utilizing his second amendment rights? I don't think we should let them bear arms.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    A woman got her hands and face ripped off by an angry chimp. Never seen a human toddler capable of doing the same.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Chimps, and apes in general, are kind of a grey area when it comes to "animal rights" vs "Human rights"

See, we share >99% DNA with apes, chimpanzees in particular are virtually genetically identical, with a few minor differences. Apes are sentient, meaning they have concepts of "self", they are able to learn sign language and carry on intelligent conversations with humans, and it's been suggested that they have religious concepts in the form of the belief of an afterlife, and have been observed mourning the loss of members of their family.

These are all things we associate with humans.
    they also eat their own young

no they shouldn't have human rights, because they're animals duh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    We share a surprising percentage of dna with a banana too...
    If I remember right, we share 42% DNA with mice and we share genes with trees to metabolize sugar.

Sharing genes is not a good measure of whether some species deserves to be treated with the same rights as generally afforded to human beings. In that ~1% difference between us and chimps is the ability to reason, to use logic, and to make judgments, far beyond what the smartest chimps can do. That 1% puts us on a different pedestal, makes us stand out, enables us to build civilizations and courts of law. We get more rights because we're smart enough to be responsible to handle more rights (despite that some humans seem to fail at doing just that, see: ISIS.)

For another species to be afforded the same rights as us, they'd need to be on a level equivalent to ours. Such a species does not exist on Earth and has not yet been found in the cosmos.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Not human rights but they should have some rights at least. They do feel more than other animals and are closer to humans.
    There are people with severe congenital brain damage who have IQ below 50 and they have human rights so primates should get the basic rights. They should not be people's property.
    Last edited by mmoc2ee9170beb; 2014-10-11 at 09:15 AM.

So how will this impact my chimp army?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    A woman got her hands and face ripped off by an angry chimp. Never seen a human toddler capable of doing the same.
    Toddlers play the long game...years of psychological torture. Way worse.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're not human, so no.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No point, they might not even be related to us at all... I'd say set clear animal rights. Respect them or go to jail.