10+ Year Old Account

Particle Density not saving properly

Every since MoP was released, I've had a problem with particle density in-game. Up until the MoP pre-patch, the particle density in game made spells look amazing. When casting fire spells, for example, there were blazing fires in my Mages' hands when the setting was on ultra. Now, though, it isn't even close. Currently, when set to low, spells are almost invisible - and when set to ultra, there are only mere embers in my hands. Ultra now looks about as good as 'Good' did before MoP.

I've tried altering this in the config.wtf file, but to no avail. using the SET particleDensity "100" command, for example, has no effect. Whenever I launch WoW it seems to do nothing, and when I exit WoW again the line is deleted from the config.wtf file and replaced with an empty line, as if the text was deleted.

Do any of you guys have a solution for this? Seems to be a problem with it saving. It's very strange too, because the SET spellEffectLevel command is working just fine, and saves properly.

I have tried deleting the config.wtf file so WoW automatically creates a new one. This did not help. Thinking about trying a re-install/download of WoW, but I want to hear if you lovely people know of a solution first. If it's any help, I am using a 27" monitor which runs at 60fps and 2560x1440 (1440p).

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I just figured out something. I *can* set particleDensity to 100 through the CVar command in-game, but 100 looks exactly the same as it does on Ultra setting. Ultra = 100, it seems. Too bad 100 looks like total crap. Any idea if it's possible to go above that threshold, or if it's possible to increase the quality otherwise?

Someone elses ultra:

My ultra:
    Last edited by Rinoa; 2014-10-10 at 09:53 PM.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Altered-Time.com - the #1 Mage Theorycrafting community.

Maybe you have the images in your post backwards, but the second image (yours) is substantially higher quality than the first image.

You should post a screenshot of your graphics settings and say what spell you're casting.

Here's flash heal with a particle density of 10..

And here's molten armor with a particle density of 100:

As you can see it's fairly dependent on the spell.
    Last edited by semlar; 2014-10-10 at 11:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, the picture itself is higher quality. The first image is taken as a screenshot of a video of someone elses, the second is taken from my own character in-game. The point was that their fire when casting is vibrant and flaming, while mine is a mere ember.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Altered-Time.com - the #1 Mage Theorycrafting community.