Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

The acronym GG and it's use.

I just don't understand why it's used most of the time. I'm getting a bit annoyed with this, which might be a bit strange to some, I understand. So be gentle with me.

I can understand when a game is actually good, when its tough, even and hard-earned. But when the opposing team completely wrecks you and they go "GG" I just don't get it. It wasn't a good game, it was a terrible game.
    Okay it was a good game for you that won it, by why say GG in that case? That just makes it a taunt.

Some people say saying GG is a courtesy, but I don't get that either. Why say GOOD GAME, when it's not actually a good game? The meaning is lost. It seems like nobody actually cares about what it means, but repeat it out of habit. Not courtesy, not respect, but habit or even spite.

I also notice that it's in a vaaaast majority of the cases, only the winners that say it. Again, doesn't that just mean that it wasn't a good game at all? If the losers say GG, then it was a good game. If the winners and nobody else says it, it's nothing short of a taunt of those that act superior.

What I will say that I find much more respectful, to a losing team, is WF for Well Fought. They stayed, they fought, they made a fight out of it. Well fought. Was it a good game? No, they got steamrolled. I won't disrespect them by calling it a good game, because it wasn't good in any other way than for the winners.

I sincerely wish GG actually meant it was a good game, for everyone. In most cases of its use, I find it to be an insult or a taunt used by victors under the guise of courtesy and politeness.
    When and if I point this out, I'm told I've got a "negative attitude" and such. But to me it's the complete opposite, I want GG to mean what it should mean, GOOD GAME. I sincerely find that its lost its meaning. I want courtesy and sportsmanship to have MEANING not to just be some words you blurt out at the end of a game without meaning it.

Agree? Disagree?
    Last edited by Noomz; 2014-10-12 at 12:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's called being a good sport.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see it as a courtesy. When I played soccer in high school (and only because we had to play a sport because we had no gym class) we'd shake hands with the opposing team after the game, no matter who lost or by how much. I see "GG" as the same thing.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcon View Post
    It's called being a good sport.
    lol gg ez game gg

is what hes talking about, purely to be an ass

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Part View Post
    lol gg ez game gg

That's not what he said at all.

When you loose - it's a common courtesy to congratulate your opponent for beating you - hence a GG.
    When an opponent wrecks you and throws GG at your face to spite you - he's a dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Next time I beat someone in a game I'm gonna say "try not to get raped as hard next time."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Part View Post
    lol gg ez game gg

Yeah except.... Thats not what he's talking about, so GG EZ SCRUB 1v1 nub.

If you dont want it to be used for courtesy, how are going to know when everyone in the match actually enjoyed the game?

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    yes their doing it on purpose to rub it in, more or less. their jerks.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people are bad losers, and some are bad winners. People showing a lack of sportsmanship isn't new.

I shared a moment of my life with you to play a game. That is always and indisputably an expression of our nicest side as human beings: we played together. A game is always a good game for me. If you have the audacity to put extra meaning to it, I guess that's your prerogative; but I enjoyed it all the same, and I had a good time with you.

Deleted
    ive only personally seen it used by some of my guildies when we beat a boss in raid, and maybe a couple times when a boss has gone down in lfr

edit: as for pvp stuff, i would assume it can be used to congratulate your opponent on a game well played, even if they didnt win they still played hard and did well. thus, gg.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's like saying welcome, goodbye, etc. It is a courtesy and habit. Some will of course take that and be mean, and most will understand when a game wasn't fair. It's just being nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    God made humans to give handjobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

It can be read many ways.
    1. It's a show of sportsmanship which is why I use it. You played the game and tried to win, gg better luck next time.
    2. It's rubbing in the fact that you lost, which is what most people use it for because they are dicks. Just shrug it off.
    3. It's no longer good game, but simply a mark of the game coming to an end.

No matter what GG is common courtesy in any game and I feel more insulted when it isn't used at all, or at least replaced with some kind of acknowledgement of the game.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

10+ Year Old Account
    its a courtesy to the other team no matter what. did you not play any competion growing up? you always shook hands and said good game at the end out of respect. dont be so uptight

I think a lot of people use it as a serious "good game", but I always spell out good game if I win to avoid sounding sarcastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    yes their doing it on purpose to rub it in, more or less. their jerks.
    You don't know that. They could be entirely genuine.

I dont even recall saying GG to anyone unless Im talking about GG Allin.

If it was really good I might make an actual thought out comment, otherwise I might just leave something like "Have a good one, dont suck a fat one"

I think you're putting way too much thought into this. I've read some incredibly lengthy posts, and even with your nice formatting and well-flowing thought process, I could only bring myself to read about a third of that. Sorry!

10+ Year Old Account
    This topic only comes up with gamers...

GG means "good game". It a term used in just about any form of competition as a sign of good sportsmanship, that the game was just a game and any thing that happening during the competition stays with the competition. Its simply a sign of respect, win or lose.

This is why outsiders poke fun at gamers because so don't even have the social skills to grasp the concept of sportsmanship.