Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post

Uh no, I specifically said that, unlike Daenerys, there is nothing redeemable about ISIS.
    Then why compare them to a fictional character that liberates enslaved people? You sound like a ISIS sympathizer with such a comparison.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Algathor View Post
    Then why compare them to a fictional character that liberates enslaved people? You sound like a ISIS sympathizer with such a comparison.
    Remember that Daenerys' prime mission is still to retake Westeros, using 3 dragons no less, which will cause untold destruction of human life. Something that she does not take into consideration.

She also disregards the very reason why the Targeryans don't rule anymore, because her father, the Mad King, was a tyrant and there is no indication that people would want the Targeryan dynasty back which caused so much evil. (You know kinda like how jihadists are angry over Kemal Ataturk abolishing the last caliphate in 1924 and refusing to understand the reasons why it was done.)

So I'm not entirely sure she's such a good person, though I will admit that the moral comparison fails. That doesn't mean there aren't other parallels which I listed above.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Actually, Ned Stark would be a conservative, if you want to use the actual definition of the word instead of thinking that American political orientation is relevant to anything not America.
    Well not in terms of foreign policy.

Also he did display some of that liberal naivete, trusting a little too much in people's goodness. Or as other characters remarked, didn't know how to play the game.

Not bashing the character or the show, just making an observation.
    Last edited by mmoc8a3727531d; 2014-10-13 at 01:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well not in terms of foreign policy.

Also he did display some of that liberal naivete, trusting a little too much in people's goodness. Or as other characters remarked, didn't know how to play the game.

Not bashing the character or the show, just making an observation.
    Are you in any way aware of what the word "conservative" actually means?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Are you in any way aware of what the word "conservative" actually means?
    In a general sense, maintaining the status quo. "Conserving" it as it is now.

In the US in particular and in particular foreign policy, defending your interests abroad, by military intervention when necessary. Liberals tend to be softer and some are pacifists or believe that the US should never interfere unless directly attacked. Conservatives believes in peace through strength. They don't wait for the enemy to become so strong as to overwhelm them.

Deleted
    Just to turn this around, surely the US foreign policy would be a better parallel for Daenerys?

White person coming into a foreign land, conquering with her dragons (air superiority), using mercenaries (PMC's), the places she conquers quickly falls back to its old ways as soon as she leaves (Too many conflicts to name), until she finally ends up having to stay in one of the cities she conquers to keep control of it (Iraq/Afghanistan) despite constant guerilla attempts to depose her regime.

15+ Year Old Account
    Remember that Daenerys' prime mission is still to retake Westeros, using 3 dragons no less, which will cause untold destruction of human life. Something that she does not take into consideration.

She also disregards the very reason why the Targeryans don't rule anymore, because her father, the Mad King, was a tyrant and there is no indication that people would want the Targeryan dynasty back which caused so much evil. (You know kinda like how jihadists are angry over Kemal Ataturk abolishing the last caliphate in 1924 and refusing to understand the reasons why it was done.)

So I'm not entirely sure she's such a good person, though I will admit that the moral comparison fails. That doesn't mean there aren't other parallels which I listed above.
    well that´s easy, when you draw parallels as you see fit while leaving out comparable stuff or just ignore reasons... with your idea of parallels or similiarities everything is comparable to everything
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    well that´s easy, when you draw parallels as you see fit while leaving out comparable stuff or just ignore reasons... with your idea of parallels or similiarities everything is comparable to everything
    Anything is possible when all you do is start with an agenda, roll it around in shit for a bit, throw it at your keyboard, and post what ever comes out.

Both command armies of dickless warriors that were conditioned from birth into unquestioningly adhering to a set of rules and principles prescribed to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Just to turn this around, surely the US foreign policy would be a better parallel for Daenerys?

White person coming into a foreign land, conquering with her dragons (air superiority), using mercenaries (PMC's), the places she conquers quickly falls back to its old ways as soon as she leaves (Too many conflicts to name), until she finally ends up having to stay in one of the cities she conquers to keep control of it (Iraq/Afghanistan) despite constant guerilla attempts to depose her regime.
    Okay you can look at it that way too.

Which reminds me, US troops should have stayed in Iraq to deter ISIS.