10+ Year Old Account

Dads computer just died, need help with gaming PC.

Budget: ~€1000
    Resolution: 1920x1080
    Games / Settings Desired: High+ settings at 60~FPS
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)None.
    Parts that can be reused: No.
    Do you need an OS?: No.
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?: No.

So, the deal here is that my dad's computer which he has been using since 2007 died yesterday. The thing was still from the prehistoric ages with a 32-bit mobo and all so nothing is really reusable. He's been talking about, well, basically needing a new computer because the thing couldn't do anything without extreme delay.

He also mentioned he wanted a large monitor, one like our recently bought 42 inch TV (TV also died two weeks ago, literally all of our tech is dying lately lol), and his plan was to buy a second TV (link provided at resolution section), but I don't think it's smart to buy a TV which he'll primarily be using as a computer monitor, so I need help with that; a legit computer monitor of roughly same size and below €500 (IF POSSIBLE of course).

To go a bit more in depth: he usually watches YouTube videos or series. He occasionally plays a game or so and he might do a bit of drawing as well. As long as he can play games on medium settings without issues I guess he'll be happy :P

Any help will be MUCH appreciated. I got help from MMO-C before with my own desktop and it's still rocking and I really appreciated the help I got

Edit: I'm wondering if it's better to build a new computer for around the €1k to replace my own computer now so I can give mine to my dad.

My own specs are:
    cpu: Intel Core i5 3570k
    cpu cooler: can't remember
    mobo: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
    ram: can't remember, but 8gb
    SSD: 256GB
    HDD: 1TB
    gpu: EVGA GeForce GTX 680
    psu: 800W I believe

I compared my build to that of Kostattoo's, but I don't know if his build is better than mine or not and if some things should be changed.
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2014-10-13 at 02:13 PM.

Deleted
    groetjes
    ~1k euros can build top gaming pc, from the website u posted something like this is what u can get with ur money that will do all what ur dad wants and more... way more
    i pick up this to fit in ur budget but u can get a cheaper machine and still get what ur dad wants
    Mijn Configuratie
    € 1.022,18*
    » Detail overzicht

CPU-koeler
    Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo, Actieve CPU koeler
    PWM-aansluiting, Retail 1 x € 29,99*
    Grafische kaart
    EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC (02G-P4-3753-KR), grafische kaart
    DVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort 1 x € 164,90*
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i5-4690K, 3,5 GHz (3,9 GHz Turbo Boost) 1150 processor
    FC-LGA4, "Haswell-R", boxed 1 x € 222,90*
    Voeding
    be quiet! Straight Power E9 600W, 600 Watt voeding
    Zwart, 4x PCIe, Retail 1 x € 107,90*
    Behuizing
    Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl, behuizing
    Zwart, USB 3.0, Retail 1 x € 94,90*
    DVD-brander
    Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE, DVD-brander
    Zwart 1 x € 13,99*
    Solid State Drive
    Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE250LW, 250 GB SSD
    Zwart, SATA 600, TLC, Trim, Laptop Upgrade 1 x € 129,90*
    Moederbord
    MSI Z97-G45 GAMING, socket 1150 moederbord
    RAID, Gb-LAN, Sound, ATX 1 x € 129,90*
    Harde schijf
    Western Digital Blue, 1 TB harde schijf
    SATA 600, WD10EZEX, Bulk 1 x € 54,90*
    Werkgeheugen
    G.Skill 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit, geheugen
    F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL, RipjawsX, Lite Retail 1 x € 72,90*

Deleted
    The above is not a top gaming pc with that gpu in it. You went for expensive stuff and with the lowest end (after750) gpu.

You should also get a cpu monitor for this and a separate tv.
    Try this instead:

cpu: i5-4690K 223€
    cpu cooler: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo 30€
    mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI 103€
    ram: Crucial 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit 70
    ssd: Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1, 256 GB 99€
    hdd: Western Digital Blue, 1 TB harde schijf 55€
    gpu: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 364
    psu: XFX PRO550W Core Edition, 550 Watt 59€
    case: Corsair Carbide 200R 55
    ---------------
    total: 1058€ comes abit over but its worth it, if you need to cut down, don't buy the cpu cooler for now, add it later on.

I would suggest you visit the BBG topics on Tweakers.net, they pick from various sites to get the parts at the cheapest places (which can save you quite some money if you just get everything from one place). Their latest BBG is from september but they're currently making one for november.

This is the topic from September with BBG builds for several budgets: http://tweakers.net/reviews/3681/des...mber-2014.html
    Inspecting raid instance floors since 2005

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the posts so far. I looked at Kostattoo's build and shamefully it appears to be better than my own desktop o_o. At least the gpu seems to be better than my evga gtx 680, the processor also "seems" to be better than my intel core i5-3570k @ 3.4 ghz - 3.8 ghz and even the mobo is better than my Z77X-D3H and I bought the desktop a year or two ago for €1500 o.o

Now after having spoken to my dad about it his idea is to just build a new computer for me at the same budget so he will take my computer. Now's the question if the specs Kostattoo mentioned (or any other custom build at around the same price of 1k-1.1k) is better than my current build.

My specs are:
    cpu: Intel Core i5 3570k
    cpu cooler: can't remember
    mobo: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
    ram: can't remember, but 8gb
    SSD: 256GB
    HDD: 1TB
    gpu: EVGA GeForce GTX 680
    psu: 800W I believe

To me, the build Kostattoo posted actually seems better than my build. Granted I'm no genius when it comes to computer at all, thus me asking if it'd be better to build a new computer around the 1k for me so I can give my computer to my dad, or if it's better to spend 500-600~ on a budget gaming PC for my dad.

I'll also be checking out that link, Greandal, thanks

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes the build Kost provided is in every single way better than your build currently. As for if it's worth dropping down to lower budget build, that's between you and your dad. Dropping down to that low of budget means probably an i3 setup with a 750ti GPU (maybe 760) and far less performance for your dad's games. Or you can dish out that cash and provide him with better gaming performance while also giving you a decent upgrade. The new features in a 970 like DSR alone might be enough for you to want the upgrade.

Again, completely up to you and your dad on what's worth your money. Dropping budget will result in a pretty huge loss to the GPU performance and probably also CPU which depending on the games he plays may not be enough for 60+fps on high settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Yes the build Kost provided is in every single way better than your build currently. As for if it's worth dropping down to lower budget build, that's between you and your dad. Dropping down to that low of budget means probably an i3 setup with a 750ti GPU (maybe 760) and far less performance for your dad's games. Or you can dish out that cash and provide him with better gaming performance while also giving you a decent upgrade. The new features in a 970 like DSR alone might be enough for you to want the upgrade.

Again, completely up to you and your dad on what's worth your money. Dropping budget will result in a pretty huge loss to the GPU performance and probably also CPU which depending on the games he plays may not be enough for 60+fps on high settings.
    Thanks for the answer. Seems like we'll just be buying a build around the 1k budget then so I can give my desktop to him. I don't think it'd be efficient to buy a lower end computer which might only last for a little while when I have to upgrade my own desktop in a few years as well, so I reckon it'd be best to buy a new mid end desktop so I can give him mine, which for him will EASILY last a long time.