Deleted

Is it IS or ISIS?

Whenever I hear it on the news or in articles it's always just IS but on here it's always ISIS

As near as I can tell, "IS" refers to "Islamic State", while ISIS refers to "Islamic State in Iraq and Syria". Presumably, IS could be used more broadly. Take this with a grain of salt, I'm a bit confused by the lack of settling on one name as well.

Deleted
    IS, ISIS, ISIL, they seemingly have quite a few attached names.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    IS, ISIS, ISIL, they seemingly have quite a few attached names.
    And Da'esh, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The group refers to themselves as the Islamic State now (hence IS). Swedish media has used the term IS for quite a while now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic...and_the_Levant
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Whenever I hear it on the news or in articles it's always just IS but on here it's always ISIS
    The US govt uses ISIL exclusively in statements.
    I can see the confusion about the name, feels like everyone has their own name about em lol
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Wait, I know this.

It's... I

Uh..

In Australia, after news broke stories / media blitz of people with the actual real name Isis being unhappy they were now associated with a terrorist group, the media began using only IS or Islamic State. Before the media Blitz, it was always referred to as 'ISIS', then became 'IS' pretty much immediately after.

The main story that day was a young girl whos name was Isis, after the Egyptian goddess, and how her parents were devastated

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...irl-named-isis
    http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2014/0...islamic-state/
    http://www.christianpost.com/news/mo...change-127202/

I honestly thought the ISIS -> IS change was due to these stories, at least in Australia. What country are you in? (edit - England - maybe it didnt happen there, or the media didnt bother to follow through with changing the name, because in Australia its only referred to as IS now)
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2014-10-13 at 01:10 PM.

I.S. or I.S.I.S. or I.S.I.L.

Doesn't really matter. They're a bunch of nutters in a far away land with expensive military equipment now being dropped on their heads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    After news broke stories of people with the actual real name Isis being unhappy they were now associated with a terrorist group, the media began using only IS or Islamic State.
    Quite honestly, I support that notion...
    First of all Isis is a goddess.. From her stems the female name.. I know one woman whose name is Isis. So, yeah. Totally understand it.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Nobody cares. They are going to be stopped soon since even Muslims do not approve of their ... state.

This topic deserved it's own thread? You could have just posted this question in one of the already existing ISIS threads.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this has been answered and there is really no area for discussion not already covered by our other open threads.