Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    You're broadening the definition of slavery to ludicrous degrees in order to justify your point. That's a very interpretive take on the word "slavery" and not how most would use it in this context.
    Most people don't consider co-existence and interdependence to be slavery.
    You are a slave to the man... Man...
    Last edited by Felya; 2014-10-13 at 04:22 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudjumper View Post
    its not? you dont work for someone else but try to live independently, you are punished. its a soft form. regardless of if you think it or not, slavery been around for ages, just like rape, incest, murder, fights, ect. flame wars? everything an aspect of the human mind which will never change.
    Nonsense. If you want to go off and live independently, you are free to try it. You may not be very successful, but you have the ability to try. You're not a slave. You choose to live under the contraints you live under because it's better than the alternative.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    its not? you dont work for someone else but try to live independently, you are punished. its a soft form. regardless of if you think it or not, slavery been around for ages, just like rape, incest, murder, fights, ect. flame wars? everything an aspect of the human mind which will never change.
    You are now fine with rape, incest and murder, just like slavery? Wtf?

Edit: even autocorrect couldn't believe it...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    You at a slave to the man... Man...
    Fight the powah.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Perhaps instead you can look at it like this. They're a particular brand of Muslim that has evil beliefs and practices. The majority of Muslims don't share those beliefs.

That's not a "no true Scotsman" fallacy. It's, "Yeah, they're Scotsmen, but they don't represent the majority of Scotsmen."

They're Muslim in the same sense that Mormons are Christian. They believe in the same God, reference some of the same texts, but in the end, their fundamental beliefs differ so drastically from the mainstream that it could be considered a totally different religious sect.
    You have a point as far most others not carrying things to extremes. A similar situation could be if there were a group of people who wanted to impose the laws of Deuteronomy on a region. They'd be correctly identified as totalitarians and far outside the mainstream. Nevertheless, the written words in that book of the OT say what they say. A barely detectable number of people who follow religion based on the OT think it should be used as a literal law. I do think it's fair to contrast that with the large majorities who want Koranic / sharia law implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    I see no problem with what ISIS is doing or their reasoning.
    ... Yeh ... That's stupid.

No, you just can't afford a place to live most of the time. If you don't work for your slave master, you get physically punished or killed. This is just idiotic to conflate slavery and society.

Not just prostitution. The sort of prostitution where you're taken from your home country, your passport taken away, thrown into a brothel ("Massage parlor") in some major city, and told you have to have sex with the men who come in because otherwise they'll kill your family back home. It's a common situation in the US. I have no issue with prostitution generally. I have a problem with sex slavery.
    For starters, ISIS says sex slaves are legal, the US says prostitution and slavery is illegal. Don't self loath so much.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    What they do is wrong on numerous scales.

By normal human nature you almost always want to decide which is worse in a scenario with numerous bad/offensive ideals. I find it hard and unjust that my mind is trying to figure out what is worse. These people carrying out these acts or claiming to do it in the name of Islam. Both are so offensive.

They have warped beliefs and use it as an umbrella to carry out their anarchist ideals.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Deleted
    Not just prostitution. The sort of prostitution where you're taken from your home country, your passport taken away, thrown into a brothel ("Massage parlor") in some major city, and told you have to have sex with the men who come in because otherwise they'll kill your family back home. It's a common situation in the US. I have no issue with prostitution generally. I have a problem with sex slavery.
    Problem with prostitution is that even when legalized and controlled, it still attracts criminals and abuse, we have a legal red light district in my city and only but a few of those girls speak the native language (its even a selling point where they have a sign on their window that says they speak Dutch).

You're not going to tell me that all of those prostitutes are exchange students that want to earn some cash on the side. I have no problem with legalized prostitution btw, I just want to aknowledge that the branch will always attrack criminals and abuse, even when we have a police station right in the middle of it. (the girls even have a button to call for help in case the client would go to far)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    For starters, ISIS says sex slaves are legal, the US says prostitution and slavery is illegal. Don't self loath so much.
    I'm not self loathing, nor am I suggesting that the US is as bad as ISIS. At all. I'm just recognizing that we do still have a problem here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly probably not all that far off, though the Viking mythology is soooo much cooler.

I've been watching the HBO series "Vikings,".
    Don't you mean the History Channel series?
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Don't you mean the History Channel series?
    Whatever the hell it is. I just know it showed up on Amazon Prime at the same time as all of the HBO Season 1's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Problem with prostitution is that even when legalized and controlled, it still attracts criminals and abuse, we have a legal red light district in my city and only but a few of those girls speak the native language (its even a selling point where they have a sign on their window that says they speak Dutch).
    We have that problem out of control in Europe, because we've jumped the gun on the EU regulations..
    Those ass clown law makers outright overlooked mechanisms that could have been clear, but weren't for them.
    What do you expect, when you lower all borders, and then lose the regulations on the outskirts of the territory on top? Traffickers use it.. For all they need to manage is to get past the first border, and they're within the construct. Legal prostitution is a very good thing. Lacking the protection (regulation) of it, is a very bad thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Whatever the hell it is. I just know it showed up on Amazon Prime at the same time as all of the HBO Season 1's.
    yeah, that's the history channel series... I haven't watched it yet. Still on my to do list.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    We have that problem out of control in Europe, because we've jumped the gun on the EU regulations..
    Those ass clown law makers outright overlooked mechanisms that could have been clear, but weren't for them.
    What do you expect, when you lower all borders, and then lose the regulations on the outskirts of the territory on top? Traffickers use it.. For all they need to manage is to get past the first border, and they're within the construct. Legal prostitution is a very good thing. Lacking the protection (regulation) of it, is a very bad thing.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, that's the history channel series... I haven't watched it yet. Still on my to do list.
    It's alright. Nothing special.

Honestly probably not all that far off, though the Viking mythology is soooo much cooler.

I've been watching the HBO series "Vikings," where the main character is Ragnar Lothbrok, and it keeps occurring to me that Ragnar may be the protagonist, but he's really a bad guy. I mean his MO is sail to town, murder a bunch of civilians, take their stuff, enslave some folks, and repeat the following year.
    Yeah, the Vikings were basically pirates with a side-line of extortion and slave trading. They would turn up and start burning down your city and massacring your citizens. For a fee (i.e. a large pile of money, gemstones and valuable metals and some slaves) they would leave. For about a year or so, when they would return and the scenario would repeat itself. They also liked to split the ribcages of the conquered (and still very much alive) leaders, and unfold their lungs in the shape of an eagle as a tribute to Odin.

While they did settle in the North of England, and did trade and build ships, that wasn't all they did.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    What they do is wrong on numerous scales. ... They have warped beliefs and use it as an umbrella to carry out their anarchist ideals.
    They're not anarchists at all. They're authoritarian / totalitarian and have quite a few rules with centralized decisionmaking and imposition of laws.

Interestingly, some 'partisans' are striking against IS in some areas:
    http://news.yahoo.com/guerrilla-grou...154056815.html

Wolverines!

[sorry for obscure Red Dawn reference - I don't think the guys fighting IS are looking to establish democracy, but the sad fact is they can't be worse than IS]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    Those muslim terrorist groups always say such stupid shit. I am so tired of it and the "scare" effect wore long ago. Probably around the time that Iraqi PR guy was shouting every day about the Americans being defeated (while pretty much seeing tanks rolling through Bagdad at that last day).
    The Iraqi Government under Saddam Hussein wasn't a 'muslim terrorist group', many of the senior members were Christians.

Deleted

Yeah, opening the borders has done good things for the outer most nations, however it did make fighting human trafficking a tad harder :/

10+ Year Old Account
    We have several other ISIS threads going right now, can we please keep discussion consolidated to them?

Additionally, there's too much religious discussion/debate going on in here; remember it is a forbidden topic on MMO-C.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |