Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravasi View Post
    When the world suffers SOMEONE must get involved, someone who can FIX things. Isn't that the fucking point of society?! You would just stand aside at a mugging because it's not your fucking business to involve?! You make me so fucking sick!! It's people like YOU that are dragging down society with your non-involvement "because it's not my business".
    It's not our business and we don't have enough info to decide what our response should even be. We shouldn't act like some headless chicken when we see a conflict somewhere in the world. Fucking think for once.

How would you like the whole world to gang up on you just because you declared your independence? It's their business, they should sort it out. You can argue however you want, if Assad is a maniac or not, but if he is, at least he is a known maniac.

No, we aren't going to be responsible for another bloodshed. You aren't going to drag us into it.

When the world suffers SOMEONE must get involved, someone who can FIX things. Isn't that the fucking point of society?! You would just stand aside at a mugging because it's not your fucking business to involve?! You make me so fucking sick!! It's people like YOU that are dragging down society with your non-involvement "because it's not my business".
    Why aren't we putting sanctions on countries that supply aid and comfort to this group ISIS?. That would be the most effective way to start anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Iraq was stable, now look at it. North African countries were stable also, now look at them.
    Right - but that's not the opposite of the US overthrowing the Saddam regime. Also still need to support your original claim, that the same people who wanted saddam to stay in power were the ones who overthrew middle eastern governments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The problem is that when people say 'involvement' they want a half-pregnant approach. You cannot have foreign intervention to stabilize a situation and still have self-government.

And that's the core of the issue; these conflicts are generated for want of stable political establishment. Foreign intervention is nothing more than a Band-Aid in that case.
    Which is why a permanent military presence is required. Maybe it will take 50 years to eliminate the dangerous characters and for the country to borrow western values and stop adhering to their own that encourage conflict, but it can be done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is why a permanent military presence is require. Maybe it will take 50 years to eliminate the dangerous characters and for the country to borrow western values and stop adhering to their own that encourage conflict, but it can be done.
    Colonialism isn't very fashionable these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Where does your info graphic come from? Are the numbers real or made up?
    Wiki, sourced by this:
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...22893/abstract

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    It's not our business and we don't have enough info to decide what our response should even be. We shouldn't act like some headless chicken when we see a conflict somewhere in the world. Fucking think for once.

How would you like the whole world to gang up on you just because you declared your independence? It's their business, they should sort it out. You can argue however you want, if Assad is a maniac or not, but if he is, at least he is a known maniac.

No, we aren't going to be responsible for another bloodshed. You aren't going to drag us into it.
    Turkey is allowing the US to use it's bases. Drone strikes from Turkey will take a very short time and there will be many of them per day. Are you okay with this?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Colonialism isn't very fashionable these days.
    This is a different situation. It's not colonialism, it's peacekeeping and it seems to be mandatory.

Are the numbers on your info graphic real?

Turkey is allowing the US to use it's bases. Drone strikes from Turkey will take a very short time and there will be many of them per day. Are you okay with this?
    Turkey is not allowing the us to use its bases, they were offended that we implied that.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a different situation. It's not colonialism, it's peacekeeping and it seems to be mandatory.
    A permanent military presence and political control constitutes colonialism to a tee.

Not that I'm actually -opposed- to colonial imperialism, but it's not considered acceptable practice these days.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Read the post above.
    I'm not OK with any strikes, but if Syrian government agrees with it, I can't complain.

The only time we should be involving ourselves in any wars is if its in our national security best interests.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only time we should be involving ourselves in any wars is if its in our national security best interests.
    Isolationism doesn't work in a globalized economy.

Isolationism doesn't work in a globalized economy.
    Global economy has so far been a net loss for us it seems, since we are 17 trillion in the hole.. I think some isolation would be good.

Turkey is not allowing the us to use its bases, they were offended that we implied that.
    us-and-coalition-forces-can-use-our-bases-for-attacks-against-islamic-state-turkey

"Turkey will let US and coalition forces use its bases for attacks against Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria and Iraq, American defence sources have said."

"The sites, they said, included a key installation within 100 miles of the Syrian border, and Turkish bases include Incirlik in the south. US defence secretary Chuck Hagel has said America wanted access to the Turkish bases."

The US will be in Turkey 50 years from now. We used to have bases in Turkey during the Cold War.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Global economy has so far been a net loss for us it seems, since we are 17 trillion in the hole.. I think some isolation would be good.
    The 17 trillion dollar hole is precisely because the US engaged in conflicts which were not economically relevant. The global economy is what sustains the US as a power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obama's not going to invade anybody.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why aren't we putting sanctions on countries that supply aid and comfort to this group ISIS?. That would be the most effective way to start anyways.
    Because the major country doing that is a major "Ally" of us and in Nato?
    You're a towel.

us-and-coalition-forces-can-use-our-bases-for-attacks-against-islamic-state-turkey

"Turkey will let US and coalition forces use its bases for attacks against Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria and Iraq, American defence sources have said."

"The sites, they said, included a key installation within 100 miles of the Syrian border, and Turkish bases include Incirlik in the south. US defence secretary Chuck Hagel has said America wanted access to the Turkish bases."

The US will be in Turkey 50 years from now. We used to have bases in Turkey during the Cold War.
    This article is a little fresher I think.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...enia_Coalition

This article is a little fresher I think.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...enia_Coalition
    "Air Base, located about 50 kilometers inland from the Mediterranean Sea in southern Turkey, is home to the U.S. Air Force's 39th Air Base Wing and about 1,500 American military personnel and is key to protecting NATO's southern flank"

I was wondering what we did with that Air Wing. Looks like the US has had troops in Turkey since 1960's.

-- Capt. Copeland