They don't seem to, but I might be wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwait View Post
    They don't seem to, but I might be wrong.
    I believe they can if you have the Floating Butterfly glyph

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/16561637/
    Chi Explosion now deals reduced damage to secondary targets. Damage to the primary target remains unchanged.
    Good. this means they`re not afraid to tune the 4 ChiEx. so our single target doesn't have to suffer (as much).
    Last edited by Justwait; 2014-10-31 at 03:19 AM.

Totally new to the monk, but I really want to be able to offer my raid group a dps/heal hybrid in the expansion. I have never played an energy based dps before so I have a quick question: Haste increases energy regen, right? What is the intended energy state for a monk? Is it like the mana of a ranged class and technically not a problem to manage with enough haste? Or is the intent to make monks focus more on resource management than mana users?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm deciding between enhancement/resto shaman and ww/mw monk and weighing the differences.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beenie View Post
    Totally new to the monk, but I really want to be able to offer my raid group a dps/heal hybrid in the expansion. I have never played an energy based dps before so I have a quick question: Haste increases energy regen, right? What is the intended energy state for a monk? Is it like the mana of a ranged class and technically not a problem to manage with enough haste? Or is the intent to make monks focus more on resource management than mana users?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm deciding between enhancement/resto shaman and ww/mw monk and weighing the differences.
    Haste increases energy regen, yes.
    Currently you want to get haste to a level where you never run starved while using Energizing Brew and Fists of Fury on CD to regen energy.
    There is certainly more of an emphasis on pace with energy classes. We don't necessarily have to worry about it, but more than Enh shaman who, to my knowledge, have mana as a nearly unlimited, always there, resource.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

15+ Year Old Account

Good. this means they`re not afraid to tune the 4 ChiEx. so our single target doesn't have to suffer (as much).
    Just for clarification, it is using the same calc as our FoF cleave calc

Group of 5:

Primary: 100% damage
    Other 4 targets: 20% damage each

I'm actually OK with this - would much rather have them nerf ChiEX cleave and keep our ST higher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaje View Post
    I'm actually OK with this - would much rather have them nerf ChiEX cleave and keep our ST higher.
    From what I understand, our single-target will remain strong. And honestly, our cleave should remain strong as well, despite this mechanic change.

It might actually make RJW worth using for AoE now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysmera View Post
    From what I understand, our single-target will remain strong. And honestly, our cleave should remain strong as well, despite this mechanic change.
    I would be 100% happy if this happens. Even with the ChiEX AoE reduction, we are still an extremely strong cleave class with FoF, RJW, and ChiEX, Chi Burst, etc. If our ST remains strong then we are better off going into WoD then we were previously.

My guess is that this change will just allow us to use our other AoE abilities more and not just spam ChiEX for an entire fight - making our AoE rotation more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    It might actually make RJW worth using for AoE now though.
    Seems like a safe bet - now we just have to figure out how many targets it takes to make keeping RJW up 100% of the time worth it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaje View Post
    Seems like a safe bet - now we just have to figure out how many targets it takes to make keeping RJW up 100% of the time worth it again.
    Our survey says....

"Probably Three!"

The change to CX makes me believe that WW is actually getting some dev attention; to the point that it feels like someone important has started playing it and gone, "hey maybe those monk folks were right in saying they should be rewarded with better dps for being one of the harder dps classes."

Hopeful thinking?

Interesting turn of events for CX indeed and perhaps the change most indicative in recent times of where Blizz wants WW to be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliansfist View Post
    "hey maybe those monk folks were right in saying they should be rewarded with better dps for being one of the harder dps classes."
    Afaik that was never their stance. The classes / sometimes specs should be more or less balanced, regardless of how easy or hard they are. Just look at e.g. arcane / feral in the past.
    I'm wondering if they buff ChiEx now, that it isn't that far behind Serenity in single target (if it still is after the latest buffs). And Hurricane Strike really seems to stay... meh. That was somehow expected because of its mechanics and PvP implications.

[e] There are some things they don't balance, because they don't see it as a problem. How easy or hard a spec is to play is one of them. I think that's good, it promotes playstyle diversity. But there are also other things, e.g. raid support, which won't get balanced, which doesn't really have that many advantages. Compare for example monk and feral: feral heals a lot more while just doing dps, has an arguably more useful movement speed ability for the raid, a battle rez, offtank capabilities with HotW, ae roots or ae knockback, and vortex - compared to an aoe stun, a single target sprint and better cleave damage. I'm a bit sad that they, while gutting other hybrids offheal / passive heal capabilities for the raid, they also gutted monks, which were already by far the worst, and they made sure it stays that way.
    Last edited by mmoc48c29aaf6e; 2014-10-31 at 12:28 PM.

I'm not too unhappy with the ChEx changes. I see it as a bit like the capping of Uplift. I'd rather be balanced around a spell that does a reasonable and predictable amount of damage than be nerfed because I have one ability that eclipses the damage I do from everything else under the right circumstances.

With the change to ChEx, I wonder if they'll take off the bandaid buff that they hotfixed in a couple weeks ago or if they'll leave it in place? And if they leave it in place, will they bake in the effects to the abilities so we don't have a WW hotfix modifier that we have to apply to half of our abilities?

My only concern now is that, at most, it'll do a tad less than double the damage per chi of a 3 chi ChEx on a single target as AoE. Where does that put ChEx in the order of things for level 100 talents? I doubt it makes HS a contender, but will we almost always take Serenity unless there are adds out for the vast majority of an encounter?
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-10-31 at 12:34 PM.

Do we have any weights to go along with our stat priority? Does ilvl of items trump secondary stat allocations? I know mastery is crappy but is it so bad that a heroic crit/haste neck beats a mythic crit/mastery neck?

Quote Originally Posted by Kioga View Post
    Do we have any weights to go along with our stat priority? Does ilvl of items trump secondary stat allocations? I know mastery is crappy but is it so bad that a heroic crit/haste neck beats a mythic crit/mastery neck?
    An increase in ilvl doesn't just mean an increase in secondary stats. It means an increase in your primary stat, as well. Agility has lost value compared to crit, haste, and even mastery, but it's still our best stat by a fair margin. Also, mastery is our worst secondary stat, but it still has a positive effect on our DPS. Basically, your best bet is to sim your DPS and get stat weights. Put those into AMR, and AMR will give you a pretty good idea of what is and is not an upgrade. As a general rule, though, going from gear from one difficulty to a higher diffuclity will likely mean more DPS. Going from normal to warforged, you might be better off sticking with non-warforged if the stat distribution is better.

Here's a graph showing the trendlines for DPS increase per point of stats for 2-3 minute fights in BiS gear. Don't know how that fits with your situation, but that's about all I can provide for you.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...at=interactive
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-10-31 at 07:11 PM.

About The Class
    As a class, Windwalkers are a melee DPS specializing in AE and doing mediocre-to-terrible single-target damage.

Lol, this line is hilarious. Nice write up/guide by the way! Debating on either playing my Monk as dps or my rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeties View Post
    About The Class
    As a class, Windwalkers are a melee DPS specializing in AE and doing mediocre-to-terrible single-target damage.

Lol, this line is hilarious. Nice write up/guide by the way! Debating on either playing my Monk as dps or my rogue.
    That could actually be amended. At the moment, we are very high output single target. They buffed a number of our abilities for single target damage a couple weeks ago. The buff amounted to a 15% increase to our single target DPS. Blizzard also just neutered a big chunk of our AoE at level 100 by capping the damage from Chi Explosion. It might be more accurate to say that we're average to above average AoE and (if the buffs stay in place) high single target damage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocias View Post
    That could actually be amended. At the moment, we are very high output single target. They buffed a number of our abilities for single target damage a couple weeks ago. The buff amounted to a 15% increase to our single target DPS. Blizzard also just neutered a big chunk of our AoE at level 100 by capping the damage from Chi Explosion. It might be more accurate to say that we're average to above average AoE and (if the buffs stay in place) high single target damage.
    I would have to agree, but I wouldn't change it JUST yet. They just did their first pass at level 100 damage adjustements and Monks were barely touched besides Chi Explosion.

Woah Chi Exp nerfed really hard, went from being top AoE spec since day 1 of beta to mediocre, that's a pretty big last minute change why didn't they make this change sooner?

At least hopefully now our 20% buffs from 6.0.2 will stay or at least not get completely revered for WoD raiding

The only fights Chi Explosion would have been awesome on are Tectus, Beastlord Darmac, Operator Thogar, Blast Furnace for all the others having strong single target is probably more important