Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Quiting smoking.

Hey guys!

So I had to go to the hospital last night, long story short i could't feel my leg and my heart anymore. And the docter basicly told me that the best medicine and advice he could give me was to stop smoking.

And I am trying now. It's been a few hours since I woke up and I only had one smoke. Usually i am already down to 3 or 4 by now so..it's not going to bad. But i plan and not smoking another one today.

So any of you guys have any tips for me ? I know it's basicly just say NO and my friend already recommended me some gum but, besides that..?

Deleted
    http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette

Haven't smoked since December 24th 2013, all thanks to ecigs

Are e-cigs healthy?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

e-cigs are just nicotine and water vapour, the parts of tobacco smoke that are damaging are the other chemicals along with the tar.

i wouldn't say they are healthy but technically speaking they aren't much more damaging than a cup of coffee, being that nicotine beyond its addictive quality is about as harmful as caffeine.

i find it hard to not smoke aswell, i find if i'm doing something then i can ignore the urge better. keep busy maybe?
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-10-14 at 08:45 AM.

Just look for Allen Carr's "Easyway to stop smoking". His book helped me a lot ( 5 years and a half sine my last cigarette ). I was smoking around 30 cigs per day for about 9 years.

Good luck !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Are e-cigs healthy?
    It is still being researched, so far I don't think any credible scientist and sources have said healthy but less unhealthy than standard cigarettes.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can go either cold turkey and stop it altogether, or you can gradually lower the amount you smoke (as you have done already). The gradual decreasing helps with your physical withdrawal effects, but mentally it only delays the inevitable decision of "not a single smoke ever again", which you have to make eventually. And that is the hard part of quitting smoking. Good luck with your quitting!
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    e-cigs are just nicotine and water vapour, the parts of tobacco smoke that are damaging are the other chemicals along with the tar.

i find it hard to not smoke aswell, i find if i'm doing something then i can ignore the urge better. keep busy maybe?
    that´s highly controversial, as there usually are artificial flavours in them... so as long as it´s not proven i wouldn´t go around stating that e-cigs are risk free and totally cool
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Are e-cigs healthy?
    The health risks attached to nicotine are fairly minor (similar to caffeine I think), the health risks of vaping with an e-Cig depend on the manufacture of the device and juice which is currently unregulated (so don't go for the cheapest I guess).

Most of the damage from smoking comes from the other toxins found in the tobacco and paper (plus additives from the manufacturers) as well as the physical damage from inhaling burnt plant matter.

Deleted
    E-cigs haven't been studied enough by unbiased parties to give a straight answer to that. But the consensus seems to be that it's healthier than smoking. I've been smoke free for half a year with e-cig now. And I plan on quitting completely before the end of the year.

E-cig lets you kick the poisons in cigarette smoke without forcing you to drop nicotine and the habit all at once. I've dropped from a pack a day to 6mg nicotine fluids in half a year. Pretty soon I'll be able to cope without any nicotine in it... And then it's just about kicking the habit of going out for a smoke.
    Last edited by mmocf5c758552d; 2014-10-14 at 08:50 AM.

Well, first they need to be as inaccessible as possible. You say you plan on not smoking another one today. Does that mean you have the convenient option to do so? Get rid of your cigarettes. Sure, you can buy more, of course, but there's something about them being right there that just makes it too easy. Get rid of them. Don't keep them around just in case you want one. Remind yourself of what's at stake.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Getting over the mental addiction is the key, the actual physical addiction to smoking is tiny, most people don't actually feel it, it's why you don't wake up at 4AM because of it, or why you can be busy and not notice it, Once you tell yourself, and truly believe, that you don't want to smoke, it will be easy, there are a variety of books that can help too, the one I know of that has the largest following is "Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking" (No, not the comedian) that works for around 95% of people who use the program, and the books are not expensive, so give that a go if you want to stop!

And good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    that´s highly controversial, as there usually are artificial flavours in them... so as long as it´s not proven i wouldn´t go around stating that e-cigs are risk free and totally cool
    i wouldn't suggest someone who doesn't smoke to start on e-cigs and think it'll be fine, i also don't think they replace a real cig that well either being that i tried one for a while and couldn't really tell if it was working for me or not.

the one i tried didn't have any flavor it actually says on the pack of vaporizers that its just nicotine contained in a solution that is simply water.

15+ Year Old Account
    /lights a cigarette
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I am not a medical expert, but judging from your symptoms it seems plausible to me that it is blood vessels being constricted. That is something nicotine does, not tar. E-cigs also have nicotine. Do not start that without discussing it with your doctor first.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Deleted
    Thanks for the replies guys! Makes me smile to see how many of you went through sorta the same and did quit so i know i can do it aswell!

Ye i've been looking into that E-cig thingy and i might just get one nicotine free with red bull taste ( my friend sells them online so..i can get one pretty cheap ).

But basicly there are risks with E-cigs but they just haven't either found them or cared hard enough for it ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    i wouldn't suggest someone who doesn't smoke to start on e-cigs and think it'll be fine, i also don't think they replace a real cig that well either being that i tried one for a while and couldn't really tell if it was working for me or not.

the one i tried didn't have any flavor it actually says on the pack that its just nicotine contained in a solution that is simply water.
    i would recommend to drop smoking and not do e-cigs instead, or if you still want to be addicted well then look out on what you put into that little burning battery

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh and some practical "tools" I used to make myself smoke less: drink a glass of water every time you smoke a cig. Drink it before you smoke. I tell ya, if you aren't sweating much, you can't smoke more than 10 cigs a day. Another one I did was 10 push ups before each cigarrette. So basically I did 10 push ups and drank a glass of water before each cigarrette. The amount of cigarrettes I smoked went down to 5 or so per day quite naturally that way.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    depends on the person involved to be honest.
    I was a 20 a day smoker at one point, then I just turned round and said to my self, fuck it Quitting time and stopped.
    Sure I was a cranky bastard for a few days, and I had cravings for weeks and still get the occasional craving for one, but it is the best thing I even done.

If you cant quit with will power alone, a few things to try

Mints - Suck on one when you get a craving.
    Patches - Never used one but I have seen friends stop with the use of them so they do work.
    E-Cigs - Seen lots of people using them as an alternative, your still getting a nicotine fix so not sure if it really counts as helping you quit. as an alternative to the carcinogens you inhale from a normal cig though I can see the benefit.

Best thing I found though was putting the money you would spend on a packet of cigs in a jar where you can see it, you can then see exactly how much it was costing you, and how much it is saving you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Henkdejager View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys! Makes me smile to see how many of you went through sorta the same and did quit so i know i can do it aswell!

Ye i've been looking into that E-cig thingy and i might just get one nicotine free with red bull taste ( my friend sells them online so..i can get one pretty cheap ).

But basicly there are risks with E-cigs but they just haven't either found them or cared hard enough for it ?
    probably, or there´s a lobby behind it, who knows