Question What Type of Multiplayer do you Prefer in a Game?

*First, don't be an ass and say "none", because this thread is about MP games and just.*

Now, most of us here are used to simple MMORPG multiplayer where you are on a server and can interact with anyone else on that same server, or maybe ignore them while you solo the game until you decide to make friends. You share your economy and world with other players. Or, maybe it's a more traditional type of video game where you would enter a match making lobby and be paired up with other random people of equal skill to duke it out or run content together. Perhaps some sort invasion style drop like the Souls series, whre you can either choose to help or kill the player. Whatever it may be, I wanna hear your take on MP.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i lean towards more of an mmo settings with collaborative group play instead of pvp/skirmishes. groups queues in diablo 3 are good. destiny has also really hit it on the spot i think also.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

depends on the game really, some things will work better in one game and fall flat in another. I mostly prefer single player games but if multiplayer is implemented well into a game I can sometimes be tempted to give it a go. at the moment I'm really curious to see how this 1vs4 system in BioWare's new IP Shadow Realms turns out

Does it not entirely depend on the game and its mechanics along with the story and if it fits in there? I would not want to play a game like ME with multiplayer in the campaign, but a mini-game besides it is fine. On the other hand, I really can't imagine not playing Saints Row with a mate just because the game gets so much better from it.

Spec ops: The line is a brilliant single-player game, and would be ruined if played with co-op. While on the other hand, I find Borderlands horrible without the co-op.

A game can have multiplayer, if it is build around it. I am not a fan of the mini-game type of thing like that ME mentioned earlier. Just seems forced. I don't get games having co-op/multiplayer when the game is clearly not meant for it.

Deleted
    I care more about whether the people tend to be arseholes or not. I stopped playing league because the community was so awful, whereas stuck with wow for years and years until the guild I was in filled with assholes. Playing with people is fun no matter what, but only if they're nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Local co-op on the same screen or LAN co-op in the same room. I really hate games with multiplayer modes, both cooperative and versus, that require to connect to a server to be played and once those servers go down, unless there is a big enough fan group out there to create their own servers, the entire multiplayer aspect of the game is pretty much gone forever. IMO every game that has a multiplayer mode and isn't an MMO should have some type of LAN/system link option for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    Local co-op on the same screen or LAN co-op in the same room. I really hate games with multiplayer modes, both cooperative and versus, that require to connect to a server to be played and once those servers go down, unless there is a big enough fan group out there to create their own servers, the entire multiplayer aspect of the game is pretty much gone forever. IMO every game that has a multiplayer mode and isn't an MMO should have some type of LAN/system link option for it.
    Agreed, loved playing Modded CS/HL(though I hate FPS's) and D2, SC, and WC2 just because of the LAN functionality.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    mario party 2 on the n64 was the most fun ive ver had in my life. 4 people knocking out stuff was a blast. then again i was just a kid.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

I'm open to various multiplayer types, i like sandbox team stuff, i like rts online gaming be that team or human vs ai.

mmos these days aren't really massively in their team content, most of it is designed for 20 or less. although i think eve is the shining example, you have effective pvp groups in small and large, that is 10-20 and 50-250 or even more. large scale is nice, but it comes with drawbacks namely ppl dying by the second. to me though the current standard of mmo is what a normal online game has been like for a while. i mean there have been 64 player first person shooters for over a decade thats where you will actually interact with every person on the server. where as diablo 2 for example, you could only interact with 8 ppl at a time, although if you went into the lobbies you'd have your massively aspect of what was generally just a normal online arpg.

if i had to pick just one i think it would be co-operative whatever, sandbox, fps, rts, rpg. i prefer working with another human player rather than against.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-10-18 at 03:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cooperative with no factions, I'm competitive when it comes to leveling or getting gear, but not fighting others. PvP is fine for those that want it, but I'm done with games with factions (wow,rift,eso etc) and games that are always pvp (archeage,aion).

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer coop or team vs team. Can't stand playing alone against someone else: I like to play with people, not against them.