Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Insect identification please

So I just got this apartment last week. I'm moved in. I've noticed these insects out on the balcony and smashed all of them. I found 2 in my apartment tonight. I'm assuming they crawled under the screen door or something. this is getting fixed. My only concern is that I hope this isn't some sort of roach. I know it isn't a good picture but can somebody possibly identify this bug. They aren't very big. maybe the size of my fingernail.

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/...ps48c34fb9.jpg

That's a bug. :P

I'm looking through http://www.pestworld.org/pest-guide/ right now, maybe there's something there.

Honestly closest I'm finding is Stink Bugs....but even then they dont' look exactly the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    looks like a member of the Heteroptera http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteroptera scroll down for anatomy and see if it matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    looks like a member of the Heteroptera http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteroptera scroll down for anatomy and see if it matches.
    Oh boy, so my Stink Bug finding might not be far off!

http://www.pestworld.org/news-and-vi...nderway-in-us/

That's what led me to stink bug

it does look like a stinkbug, shoulda put something next to it for size comparison. Be wary though that also looks like a bedbug as well.

Deleted
    did u take that picture with a potato? All I see is a brown dot.

My guess is a roach, or a stink bug? Hard to see. Does it have wings?

Also worth noting, there's been a big boom in stink bug populations across the north east

That's a stink bug.
    Beta Club Brosquad

I've ruled out bedbugs and stink bugs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    That's a stink bug.
    ugh so I need an exterminater then don't I

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    ugh so I need an exterminater then don't I
    If it's bad it seems like it.

http://www.pestworld.org/news-and-vi...nderway-in-us/

There's a little guide in there of what to do.

Looks like crabs to me.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    I, too, wanted to post that answer. But I would check google pictures, wikipedia's pictures are not similar to what I have in mind

Looks to be a stink bug (also known as a shield bug).

Once one comes in, you're gonna get more. They leave a scent trail behind that other stink bugs can sense letting them know that your home is suitable place to hunker down for winter.

http://npic.orst.edu/pest/stinkbug.html

The NE is being overrun by the Chinese brown marmorated stink bug. Damn things are everywhere now.

Welp emailed my landlord. This needs to be taken care of before it gets out of hand. Thanks for the help guys.

I dont think your suppose to squish them, when you do this it releases the smell 10fold to others and they will flock to your home. Best to just get rid of them by moving them away if possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a stink bug. I'm sure I could find a dozen or more dead ones in my apartment for comparison.

Looks like this. Stink Bug

My apartment complex as a whole is getting overrun with them. This year we're actually getting more of the black and white mottled ones, they're a bit longer and skinnier than the one you have. I'm not kidding, I have killed probably 50 of them in my apartment alone in the past month. I've had to burn incense to cover the smell >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Drvr02RT View Post
    I dont think your suppose to squish them, when you do this it releases the smell 10fold to others and they will flock to your home. Best to just get rid of them by moving them away if possible.
    They release different scents for different things. Squishing them causes them to jettison all their "stank juice" out of their scent glands. It's god awful.

The attraction scent is a pheromone.

Pretty positive squishing them just nets you a big dose of the stank.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    That's a stink bug. I'm sure I could find a dozen or more dead ones in my apartment for comparison.

Looks like this. Stink Bug

My apartment complex as a whole is getting overrun with them. This year we're actually getting more of the black and white mottled ones, they're a bit longer and skinnier than the one you have. I'm not kidding, I have killed probably 50 of them in my apartment alone in the past month. I've had to burn incense to cover the smell >.>
    Longer and skinnnier? Those may be Boxelders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post
    They release different scents for different things. Squishing them causes them to jettison all their "stank juice" out of their scent glands. It's god awful.

The attraction scent is a pheromone.

Pretty positive squishing them just nets you a big dose of the stank.

Longer and skinnnier? Those may be Boxelders.
    Nope. I think they're called Western conifer seed bugs. I have no idea if they're officially considered stink bugs, but they do leave a mighty smell when you squish them. And actually, I was wrong, they're more brown with lighter brown spots. I just normally see them in dim light, so they look blacker than normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Nope. I think they're called Western conifer seed bugs. I have no idea if they're officially considered stink bugs, but they do leave a mighty smell when you squish them. And actually, I was wrong, they're more brown with lighter brown spots. I just normally see them in dim light, so they look blacker than normal.
    Oh, yeah I know of those.
    We had a boxelder BAD back when we first moved into the current family home. Got rid of them, then those Damn stink bugs showed up like a year later.

never dealt with the ones you got though. But I'm sure they'll be the next to show up if my luck holds.

They're stink bugs.

They don't do anything at all.

Just put them outside.