need internet provider advice

recently moved to a new house. the local provider is AT&T. for whatever reason they claim to have no open ports to hook me up and have no desire to do so in the future. was wondering if anyone knew of other options for me. been using dish networks satellite internet and have high latency issues, 750ms on a good day. was thinking on cellular hotspots but have read mixed stories on that. I have 5 bars of 4g lte here. any ideas would be appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are in america right?

Did you check here if they dont lie to you?
    http://www.att.com/shop/internet.html

I recommend you check all of those companys and ask them:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

One trick i know...tell them that some other company offered you a better deal than them and they will run too your door.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would help to know where you are located. It's not like a city and state is going to give us you're address unless the population of said city is 1.

Fiber>Cable>DSL>Satellite>Cellular

Remember with Cell, you will have data limits.

I've had DSL only for a while (because I'm in a 'rural' area, and Comcast refuses to service my house). The DSL spikes to 500-700 MS ping during peak hours, so I bought a 4G LTE router from Verizon. Gets me 100-120 ms ping with only 2-3 bars. Playing games like WoW and League of Legends will burn almost no data unless you have them updating while you play.

I should have thought to include location. I'm in rural western KY. not really in any town.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I am forced to use satellite as well, I've had it for almost 4 years despite having cable internet within walking distance. Despite that, Timewarner says that they service my road, if you were to look it up; however, they are not obligated to service the 'entire' road if do not wish too...

For a while there, they wanted to charge me by the foot, for cable extension to my house... however it is about 5-15$ PER FOOT, not including installation. This includes a large majority of the road they 'say' that they service, have the cable up for, but do not have 'activated'. In the end, it amounts several thousand dollars to get satellite our the door (800$ uninstallation total from hughesnet, 400$ for ending the contract plus the cost of the remainder of the month, and another 400$ for the physical removal of their satellite) and cable up and running (which their rep told us it would be about 1880$ for their extension to us... despite having the cable UP already... then their normal installation and setup fees...

I live in South Carolina.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Fiber>Cable>DSL>Satellite>Cellular

Remember with Cell, you will have data limits.
    You have data limits with Satellite too.
    Last edited by Lady Dragonheart; 2014-10-18 at 02:45 PM.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    You are in america right?

Did you check here if they dont lie to you?
    http://www.att.com/shop/internet.html

I recommend you check all of those companys and ask them:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

One trick i know...tell them that some other company offered you a better deal than them and they will run too your door.
    He just said ATT doesn't service his area.

OT, call all the providers, see who does service your area and go from there, no advice really needed here.

Quote Originally Posted by saeahawnen View Post
    I should have thought to include location. I'm in rural western KY. not really in any town.
    This is the US?

Either way, try linking it to your cell phone to play with for a while and see if the delay improves. I think it would be "perfectly fine" to play from LTE under the circumstances, but you would be wise to disable all kinds of downloads (including patch ones) and use that off of your actual connections, this is due to near non-existant data caps with wireless services.
    &nbsp;

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    He just said ATT doesn't service his area.

OT, call all the providers, see who does service your area and go from there, no advice really needed here.
    Pretty much, you just call every provider - also visit their local setups too. Customer Service usually just gives you the run-around though. I recommend find a way to contact someone up the chain, if you can.

If you cannot, you simply have to 'adapt' to playing on satellite like the rest of us.
    Raid, Dungeon, BG, and Arenas in the dead of night (after midnight to about 8 in the morning). Avoid populated areas, like the shrine, SW, Org. When you're in combat, move 'before' the enemy even starts casting by anticipating it. (For example, I move in a circle around a Timeless Isle crane so I can already be moving once it begins casting it's wing buffet, since on a satellite your character cannot be out of the way due to the constant 2-4 second lag.) Also, tell your best friends to keep you both on battletag AND as a character to character friend (since Battle.net can DC when your latency is high, but you can still be online).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    This is the US?

Either way, try linking it to your cell phone to play with for a while and see if the delay improves. I think it would be "perfectly fine" to play from LTE under the circumstances, but you would be wise to disable all kinds of downloads (including patch ones) and use that off of your actual connections, this is due to near non-existant data caps with wireless services.
    Most people in rural enough areas to be limited to satellite also don't get phone service strong enough for internet use at all.
    For example, my smartphone rarely is able to get one bar and its hotspot ability gives me about 15kbs of connectivity with constant DCs (moreso than Satellite gives me, at least).
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart Maiden View Post
    Most people in rural enough areas to be limited to satellite also don't get phone service strong enough for internet use at all.
    For example, my smartphone rarely is able to get one bar and its hotspot ability gives me about 15kbs of connectivity with constant DCs (moreso than Satellite gives me, at least).
    From the OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by saeahawnen View Post
    was thinking on cellular hotspots but have read mixed stories on that. I have 5 bars of 4g lte here. any ideas would be appreciated.
    &nbsp;