Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    4.4% of the UK population is muslim. Keep pumping that fear.
    Its interesting that you can do scientific studies that support the idea that the UK will be majority muslim in 2050, and people assert that is fear mongering. But then you could say global warming will wreck the environment in the next 50 years, and that is NOT fear mongering..,

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Its interesting that you can do scientific studies that support the idea that the UK will be majority muslim in 2050, and people assert that is fear mongering. But then you could say global warming will wreck the environment in the next 50 years, and that is NOT fear mongering..,
    Can we see these studies?

- - - Updated - - -

Also its interesting you see the challenges climate change brings as analogous to "being a muslim".

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    the only problem I see with this law is.... why the hell is it needed?
    criminal code already exists. For all it needs is law enforcement to enact the law properly..
    From the early days on, the principle was crystal clear "online/internet is not a law free space". Whatever you do, you're responsible for your actions, offline as online.
    So now we get new laws to deflect from the lack of proper law enforcing in the first place? Means we have more laws to neglect? lol
    Some politician wants to be able to tell voters he passed a law that's tough on internet trolls.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I see no issues with this, but then again I am not a UK resident.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    4.4% of the UK population is muslim. Keep pumping that fear.
    And increasing exponentially.

Deleted
    Don't know if it popped up yet:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Starquake View Post

Thank you, know I have a headache. Maybe I should go to the doc, too. That cracking sound when I facepalmed was a bit disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Starquake View Post

And you can't even freaking disagree with him. Like, cyber bullying? Don't you freaking see the X right there, up in the far right corner of your screen? Klick it.

Regarding doxxing etc... I believe that's already illegal. So honestly I have no clue wtf the UK wants to achieve with this

15+ Year Old Account
    If you actually read what the law is designed to combat, the only reason you could oppose it is if you are guilty of it.

There is never any situation where it's justified to send personal, often graphic threats to someone over the internet. Threatening a person or their family with rape and murder (often backed up with personal information about the target) is no different than any other form of harassment.

If I was to come up to someone in the street, told them I'm going to rape them and their children and then reeled off their full address, I'd go to prison too, and I'm glad they are updating the archaic laws for the internet age.

Hopefully more of the 4chan /b/ bottom feeders will start taking a little more responsibility for their online shenanigans with this sort of law in place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    And you can't even freaking disagree with him. Like, cyber bullying? Don't you freaking see the X right there, up in the far right corner of your screen? Klick it.
    There is a difference between someone sending you a mean tweet, and them repeatedly spamming your electronic communications channels (which are kinda mandatory these days) with graphic and violent threats.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post

There is a difference between someone sending you a mean tweet, and them repeatedly spamming your electronic communications channels (which are kinda mandatory these days) with graphic and violent threats.
    I would agree with you if that wasn't already illegal

You can't send people freaking death threats and walk away scot free.

I believe these legislators are literally talking about 4chan trolls spamming their twitter with "you suck". Or raiding Justin Bieber YT with "RIP sweet prince".

Well damn people, this is what you get for entering the internet without proper lurking. Doesn't just apply to 4shit
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2014-10-20 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    If you actually read what the law is designed to combat, the only reason you could oppose it is if you are guilty of it.

There is never any situation where it's justified to send personal, often graphic threats to someone over the internet. Threatening a person or their family with rape and murder (often backed up with personal information about the target) is no different than any other form of harassment.

If I was to come up to someone in the street, told them I'm going to rape them and their children and then reeled off their full address, I'd go to prison too, and I'm glad they are updating the archaic laws for the internet age.

Hopefully more of the 4chan /b/ bottom feeders will start taking a little more responsibility for their online shenanigans with this sort of law in place.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like this was a really well-written post.

Online harassment crosses a line when it has real-life consequences, such as the bullies that continue to harass a classmate online when they're not at school, or when three video game developers are forced from their home due to threats on their life, or when someone threatens to shoot up a school, etc. People like that should be prosecuted.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    It's obviously referring to the threaten your life and you should kill yourself trolls, not your standard MMO-C troll lol,...maybe more like the league of legends trolls...

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I feel like this was a really well-written post.

Online harassment crosses a line when it has real-life consequences, such as the bullies that continue to harass a classmate online when they're not at school, or when three video game developers are forced from their home due to threats on their life, or when someone threatens to shoot up a school, etc. People like that should be prosecuted.
    Am I the only one not seeing it? How is online-harassment anything else but ordinary harassment... legally speaking? If I send someone a death threat over facebook, that person can go to the police and sue me.

I am totally missing the point of this new legislation... Everything that it should cover is already covered by normal laws.

What I see is that people will now be all like "I'll sue you for this, I'll sue you for that" and the moment we start defining "trolling" as whatever the fuck THOSE (legislators) people want, the internet will essentially die

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Aye, I don't really understand why anyone would call internet bullying trolling.
    Ultimately, that’s my take on it.

Internet bullying (including threats of sexual or non-sexual violence) isn’t the same as trolling. That said, we have to accept that as a more… “Experienced” online community, we’re probably far closer to understand what trolling actually is than some twat in the busted British government.

Of course, even defining trolling is difficult. There are lots of different types of it, some far more sophisticated than others. Hell, some people involve themselves in trolling without even realising they’re doing it.

All told, it’s just a bit silly.

Am I the only one not seeing it? How is online-harassment anything else but ordinary harassment... legally speaking? If I send someone a death threat over facebook, that person can go to the police and sue me.

I am totally missing the point of this new legislation... Everything that it should cover is already covered by normal laws.

What I see is that people will now be all like "I'll sue you for this, I'll sue you for that" and the moment we start defining "trolling" as whatever the fuck THOSE (legislators) people want, the internet will essentially die
    I had assumed that the legislation in the OP was more along the lines of harassment (death threats, etc). I'm not British so I'd have to look up how this new legislation defines trolling, then.

Deleted
    I'm from the UK and to be honest i'm a bit confused by this. How is any of this not already covered by current legislation? Pretty sure it is.

Also, it's interesting to see how what the media and general public view as trolling isn't actually trolling. I guess it's a new word to describe harassment.

Hahaha another DailyMAil BS post... I call this BS Simple as that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Child of Curiosity View Post
    Why, exactly?
    Because they are not wanted, the communists did the same thing to educated people, and the empire to Jews and retarded people.

The stuff IS already illegal. I believe the new legislation just increases the maximum sentence from 6 months to 2 years.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Sounds like good news to me, the internet warrior's will not be so gangster in the prison with real gangsters. Threatening people or bullying behind a screen is pathetic and might learn them a lesson.