Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Getting rid of an entire group of people is pretty...well..psychopathic.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

So brave of the Op to want to get rid of him/herself for the good of society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I'm going by the documentary but the psychiatrists seem pretty confident in their ability to diagnose psychopaths. It's hereditary, not learned.
    So we should cull them? Are you gonna be first in line?

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    As has been stated above, sanctioning/proposing (etc) this, would that not make you "as bad" as us?
    As "Us"? Are you claiming to be a psychopath?!

That being said, yeah, you'd have to be pretty heartless yourself to accomplish such a feat. Might even make someone into a psycho by doing that.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Getting rid of an entire group of people is pretty...well..psychopathic.
    Welcome to humanity, where everyone but my own little group can go jump off a cliff or as actually happened, be forced off a cliff for profit
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    — Winston Churchill

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    That's the joke

I don't feel emotions as much as other people seem to, but I don't think I'm a psychopath.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

That being said, yeah, you'd have to be pretty heartless yourself to accomplish such a feat. Might even make someone into a psycho by doing that.
    You can't make a psychopath. They covered that in the documentary. You're born one. You can't teach someone to be a psychopath.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    You can't make a psychopath. They covered that in the documentary. You're born one. You can't teach someone to be a psychopath.
    It's a debatable point really, research i'm familiar with actually indicates that your social upbringing and environment are more conductive to your mental development, and Psychopathy is not an actual diagnosis to my knowledge, it's a collection of traits banded under the name.

So it's plausible Mark the 10 year old who was raped by his uncle developed a coping mechanism of inflicting the emotional pain unto animals, that would then later manifest in his core psyche as he enters puberty; Possibly developing into personality disorders that would branch out into the classification of "Psychopathy".

Genetic tendency towards lack of empathy doesn't necessarily mean you will be violent. Even MRI results proving you are such a person, doesn't dictate that you will be a threat to society. Just means that your worldview and through processes don't entail a certain consideration of emotional...flavor in your decision making.

Eh, instead of killing someone who is a Psychopath I'd rather sit down and have dinner with them and ask them questions to understand the worldview.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should we just rid ourselves of them? Lock them away forever, take them out back and shoot them?
    No of course not.

There is a great anime you should watch about psychopaths called Psychopass. It covers how society would handle a situation like that where they constantly monitor everyone's brainwaves and issue them a psychopass and if it breaks a certain point they are put down.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lokinrond713 View Post
    Welcome to humanity, where everyone but my own little group can go jump off a cliff or as actually happened, be forced off a cliff for profit
    Reminds me of bulls that meet cliffs, the animals can not stop because they have the rest of the herd, so they run off the cliff. The whole herd ends up dieing.

Most herds have evolved where you are not supposed to stop or you will just run into each other.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    It's a debatable point really, research i'm familiar with actually indicates that your social upbringing and environment are more conductive to your mental development, and Psychopathy is not an actual diagnosis to my knowledge, it's a collection of traits banded under the name.

So it's plausible Mark the 10 year old who was raped by his uncle developed a coping mechanism of inflicting the emotional pain unto animals, that would then later manifest in his core psyche as he enters puberty; Possibly developing into personality disorders that would branch out into the classification of "Psychopathy".
    The scientists talked about that too. They don't think Mark will become a psychopath. Psychopaths have an actual physical problem whit their brains that they were born with.

You'd be better off watching the documentary than to have me explain it. From the way the psychiatrists were talking, this small group is responsible for a huge amount of pain and chaos.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Reminds me of bulls that meet cliffs, the animals can not stop because they have the rest of the herd, so they run off the cliff. The whole herd ends up dieing.

Most herds have evolved where you are not supposed to stop or you will just run into each other.
    Im pretty sure ur more likely to run into eachother if u just keep running....
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    — Winston Churchill

10+ Year Old Account
    We probably should be tracked constantly if I were being completely honest. It could preserve liberty and still make society safer overall.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

It all depends. Do you view psychopaths as having a mental disability. If so, do you view the mentally disabled as responsible for their actions?
    Are you trying to enact order for order's sake or out of malice because of you hating the the person for their acts instead of hating their acts.
    If you do think it's not really their fault and feel sorry that does not mean they go all free reign as well, to be clear.

They say that because the terms "psychopath" and "sociopath" both relate to the same thing the only difference being that people who think of it as being a trait you are born with ("nature") say psychopath whilst people who believe that it is more based on outside influences ("nurture") say sociopath. Except that both terms are used less than they used to. The point is if it's a documentary about "Psychopaths" it's going to be extremely on the nature side of it.
    Side note this is based entirely on a college Psych class I took in college so I'm by no means an expert and possibly doing some bullshitting in the eyes of experts...but that still sets me up above someone who watched a single documentary and decided that we should rid society of all psychopaths

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    It all depends. Do you view psychopaths as having a mental disability. If so, do you view the mentally disabled as responsible for their actions?
    Are you trying to enact order for order's sake or out of malice because of you hating the the person for their acts instead of hating their acts.
    If you do think it's not really their fault and feel sorry that does not mean they go all free reign as well, to be clear.
    It is far from a disability if one has control over it (which is often a choice).
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

What is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    In the documentary they interviewed this psychopath who was in prison. He talked about how when he was a kid he plotted the murder of his brother. He lured his brother up onto the barn roof and pushed him off, down onto a mechanical hay rake where he was impaled. And the psychopath talked about it like you might tell me about how you painted the garage door.

Here's the strange part, the psychopath seemed like a nice guy.

-- Capt. Copeland