Low FPS / New Hardware Recommendations

Hi,

I recently re-subscribed after two years and have noticed my gameplay is not as "smooth" as it was before. I play on the lowest possible of settings and have only seen slight improvement. I get about 11-14 FPS, I'm not very computer savy but I believe this is not good...

My current setup is:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU at 2.40 GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
    6GB RAM

I have installed the latest drivers and play WoW with no programs in the background, but the problem still persists. A buddy believes it is my GPU since it's always running at >95% at about 210 degrees F, and recommended I upgrade to the GeForce 760 given my budget (combined $400).

Any suggestions to hardware upgrades or what you may believe is the problem is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by fuzzyluvmuffin; 2014-10-19 at 09:14 PM.

Your computer is simply ancient. You need to suffer the lowest settings or upgrade everything.

Deleted
    What fixx said, your PC is so old now it's not worth upgrading at all. I recommend you to save up cash for a brand new rig and play on low settings in the mean time. disable shadows completly as that takes a lot of juice and lower all other settings. Try to play in a lower resolution if you can accept it.

when you're about to buy a new PC, pick a strong CPU since that's what is the most important for wow. Great CPU and good GPU is the best combination if you're on a budget

Deleted
    keep in mind that latelty wow EU has been affected (some people) by major lag, disc and sudden fps drops, i usually hang around 40 in towns, and have been experiencing 12 20 with slows and jams

Deleted
    yeah that too, servers has been acting up real bad lately. I'm seeking refuge in shattrath city to avoid getting kicked out from the server.

Also OP, if you don't want to wait and want actual improvement, get a second hand 2500k CPU with a proper motherboard, they're really cheap and if you overclock the CPU you won't have to upgrade from it in 2-3 years to come. it's super bang for the buck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything Network related != FPS issues. Anything FPS related is purely how your PC can handle what it's rendering. OPs fps are low purely because his hardware is ancient.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Deleted
    For $400, I'd go for this:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($85.66 @ Newegg)
    Memory: PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($67.49 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $403.13
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-20 12:48 EDT-0400

You'll have to reuse parts from your current setup but it should run WoW fairly well.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're going to reuse the PSU (which I wouldn't recommend anyways if it's as old as the PC itself), make sure that it is sufficient for the set up above. Going to need 1 8pin PCI connector and one 6pin PCI connector. The card recommends a 500W PSU, but you could probably get away with slightly lower. You will need around 14A on the 12V rail though to power it.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyluvmuffin View Post
    Hi,

I recently re-subscribed after two years and have noticed my gameplay is not as "smooth" as it was before. I play on the lowest possible of settings and have only seen slight improvement. I get about 11-14 FPS, I'm not very computer savy but I believe this is not good...

My current setup is:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU at 2.40 GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
    6GB RAM

I have installed the latest drivers and play WoW with no programs in the background, but the problem still persists. A buddy believes it is my GPU since it's always running at >95% at about 210 degrees F, and recommended I upgrade to the GeForce 760 given my budget (combined $400).

Any suggestions to hardware upgrades or what you may believe is the problem is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Thats weird because I run wow on a similar setup but I don't ever have issues with FPS like that and I also don't run on the lowest settings

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    If you're going to reuse the PSU (which I wouldn't recommend anyways if it's as old as the PC itself), make sure that it is sufficient for the set up above. Going to need 1 8pin PCI connector and one 6pin PCI connector. The card recommends a 500W PSU, but you could probably get away with slightly lower. You will need around 14A on the 12V rail though to power it.
    Huh, strange for MSI to run 6pin with 8pin, IIRC reference is 2x6pin, and Asus version runs with single 8pin.

Anyway, the power draw of the components I listed is only around 100W higher, if that. 500W is definitely overkill, but 12V rail has to be sufficient like you mentioned. Old PSUs can have multiple rails at low amps, which is a no-go in this case.
    Last edited by mmoc04fee285e2; 2014-10-20 at 05:22 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Huh, strange for MSI to run 6pin with 8pin, IIRC reference is 2x6pin, and Asus version runs with single 8pin.

Anyway, the power draw of the components I listed is only around 100W higher, if that. 500W is definitely overkill, but 12V rail has to be sufficient like you mentioned. Old PSUs can have multiple rails at low amps, which is a no-go in this case.
    http://legitreviews.com/images/revie...back-angle.jpg

Yea it's weird but none the less needed to be noted.

And I'm aware that it will never reach 500W which is why i stated that it's the recommended wattage. average consumer can't distinguish a quality PSU from a bad one so it's there for a safety measure I guess you could say. I wouldn't drop down to anything less than 400W either way even for a quality PSU.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Thats weird because I run wow on a similar setup but I don't ever have issues with FPS like that and I also don't run on the lowest settings
    Could be bad addons in OP's case.