Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    EJ died mostly because rogue theorycrafters got "bored of the class".

You can see it perfectly in the late Aldriana's blog posts: most if not all of them (MoP launch time) were about the class core issues and ideas on how improve the class depper mechanics and rotations, all keeping in mind that redesigning a class is not an easy task

In the end we didn't get anything new. Old guides started to remain valid for bery long periods of time; only real changes were happening with set bonuses or trinkets changing the EPs in a way you did stack a different secondary stat.

Fast forward to today, theroycrafting got a small bump mainly because of Sub becoming viable (and definitely more interesting than combat/assassination) and because of the new stats (multistrike in primis) something was shifting around.
    However, now that new stuff has been analyzed and explained, there's not much more to do. Blizzard streamlined the class/gear in a way that you still need some degree of skill to master, but you don't need much to gear accordingly.

And basically theorycrafters have lost their work.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithildine View Post
    And without strange censorship... I love MMO-Champion
    Relevant to this comment, while it's not strictly a problem, most people have probably noticed Coldkil and I don't post nearly as much anymore (comes with the territory of having quit the game or lost internet), and most things that aren't reported probably don't get read. If anyone's passionate about the quality of these forums and feels like stepping up from amongst our active posters, PM me for more info.

Please note that this thread isn't for discussing moderation in general - if you've got questions, feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nykko View Post
    Does that mean EJ and Shadowcraft Excel sheets are no longer a thing?

I've known Icy-Veins and Noxxic have been... Less than appealing for some time.

Arena Junkies I think is still a -Updated- resource, is it not?

Most of my old-school resources where at ManaFlask for the longest timer, but since Ensidia has stopped raiding their website is pretty empty anymore other than some streamed-streams, Refuge Forums are not updated very often, (Or at all in some cases.)...

Ravenholdt I may take a look at here shortly to see what they are about.

SimCraft I haven't been liking lately. Not sure why, but something seems... Off.

Rawr.exe hasn't been updated in forever either.

- - - Updated - - -

Another site that was very well alive during the beta, but has since stop updated frequently was Sentry Totem... A little sad, really. They did a lot blog and website work to get where they are at now...
    Yeah Noxxic is pure garbage for pretty much every class/spec and any other nonsense info they put up. It is often outdated information or my personal favorite when they use the same generic copy and paste information for multiple specs. This was also true for their SWTOR info. Nobody should visit it for anything other then a laugh.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

As Coldkil fairly mentionned, there's not much left to theorycraft in the current streamlining trend ... :/

*<ad>*
    Hello,

We welcome you over at #ravenholdt on the quakenet irc server.
    There's is quite a lot of discussion going on in a friendly atmosphere.

Topics vary frequently. We have a lot of simulation talk together with developers from SimulationCraft as well as ShadowCraft.
    We have theorycrafting, testing and calculating with educated mathematicians.
    There's log reviews and raid tactics with experienced raid leaders.
    Tips, tricks and performance enhancing drugs from world top raiding rogues.
    Guides on how to survive your work day, including extremely cute red pandas.
    Good ol' banter from bitter old people.
    One PvP interested rogue!
    Girls!

Active on both EU and US times!

Come join our community today!
    *</ad>*

Since it's an irc chat, you either need a client (Such as mIRC, XChat, irssi or equal) or can join through a webclient (such as http://ravenholdt.net/index.php/irc ).
    Also since it's a living chat, it's not in the form of topics. But asking and people will link you to reports/topics/scientific articles or whatever needed. We welcome all questions, it's a great place to be

Back in TBC Aldriana joined up into the guild I was in and fun fact: back then he was a keyboard turner! Even then he was super involved in the EJ forums and obsessed with spreadsheets. Just thought it funny that a guy that involved in theorycrafting was a straight up keyboard turner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, what happened to THOTTBOT???

Ravenholdt is much better than EJ for pve and obviously EJ was always useless for pvp. The place was over-moderated for the usual reason of neckbeards given too much authority, the end result being that a lot of rogues providing solid data were banned for poor English or some other spurious reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Paincake View Post
    For some reason I considered Elitist Jerk a rogue dominated forum back in the day, just saw a post of the creator of Shadowcraft saying a goodbye as well on EJ forums. It is of course sad when passionate and talented theorycrafters are no longer there, but oh well. Everything has its end...
    would you mind linking that please? couldn't find it on the shadowcraft thread. thanks.

Deleted
    Moderation there could seem excessive for a newcomer, but it meant the quality of information and discussion there was usually better. Broader audience here has some benefits, but you also need to spend time to filter out nonsense/false information more often. Anyway it's history now and I think I'm not the only one to have fond memories of EJ at its prime.

icy veins and noxxic for sure now

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kael View Post
    Relevant to this comment, while it's not strictly a problem, most people have probably noticed Coldkil and I don't post nearly as much anymore (comes with the territory of having quit the game or lost internet), and most things that aren't reported probably don't get read. If anyone's passionate about the quality of these forums and feels like stepping up from amongst our active posters, PM me for more info.

Please note that this thread isn't for discussing moderation in general - if you've got questions, feel free to PM me.
    Of course not, I was just pointing that I tried a few times to post some theorycraft elements and was warned or even censored on EJ and I still do not know why. A lot of posters were in the same situation and these strange censorship events certainly did not help EJ to maintain a live forum with good an interesting discussions.

PS : thank you to both of you for the good job you are doing here !

Personally I hated EJ. Questions weren't allowed for the most part. Could find a 100 page long thread and asking about something would usually get flamed and or responses of look through the thread to find the answer yourself which honestly searching through 100+ pages sometimes just wasn't really possible. Hypothetical questions about variant uses of talents were always flamed. Pretty much to post on EJ you had to already know the answer and have paragraphs of math to back it up pretty much making the forums useless. I mean if you already know the answer to something what's the point to those forums?

EJ was seen, at least in the moderators eyes, as a place to discuss new ideas and not a forum to propose them. You could only really propose questions to things you'd already worked on, asking for critique and such. This worked fine when it's community was bustling with like minded people, but once they retired they didn't really help people move into their boots and hurt anyone for trying if they did it badly.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

we are working on putting up all the old guides for people. hopefully it will be soon
    elitistjerks.co

Quote Originally Posted by elitistjerksco View Post
    we are working on putting up all the old guides for people. hopefully it will be soon
    elitistjerks.co
    Is that a troll? xD

(also - dat necro)

What's the prevailing opinion on roguedpsguide.com?

Seems like one of the few relic comparison resources

EJ went casual

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinezor View Post
    EJ went casual
    ^^^^ .

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinezor View Post
    EJ went casual
    So are they now Casual Jerks or Casual Nice Guys?