10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy Raid / Group Frame gone in default UI

Hi guys,

Until yesterday evening I was all fine with my UI, because I didn't know that there was something crucial missing: my Raid / Group Frame.
    Because I mainly did quests and soloing, I didn't even get to notice that they were missing. Well, until yesterday evening.

I went to kill the Headless Horseman multiple times and noticed that the frames were entirely missing. I then invited my GF to a party to check if the party frames show up - but guess what, they didn't. I then disabled some of the Addons one by one and reloaded the UI, but without success. I got mad and renamed the Interface folder in my WoW directory to have a clean Interface-Folder. But even then NO GROUP OR RAID FRAMES showed up.

tldr: even with NO addons enabled, my raid and group frames don't show up. Ideas?

Deleted
    What about if you rename your WTF folder?

10+ Year Old Account
    I will try to rename the WTF folder today evening and see if that helps. Thanks

EDIT:
    Worked, but now I will have to figure out which saved config file is causing this. This will take a loooong time ...

EDIT 2:
    Okay, things are getting weird now. I brought it down to the very specific Character Folders inside the WTF/Realm-Directory.
    I renamed all the folders inside my realm directory (Phai to _Phai) and logged in. Started WoW and disabled all my addons. Upon logging in, I checked if the Group Frames are visible again, and whoohoo, they were there. So I shut down WoW once again, renamed the _Phai back to Phai again, and funny enough, they were still visible (even though I did not change anything on this existing Phai-Folder and thus the Addon Settings).

In pure joy I reenabled all the other Character folders aswell, renaming them back to their original name.

When I logged in again on Phai, the frames were gone. So enabling the settings for OTHER CHARACTERS broke them again.
    I don't know how this is even possible, since settings are not shared, right?

The final solution was to delete the AddOns.txt files in all the character name folders and reenable the addons by hand. This ultimately fixed the issue. I have no clue why this happened, but it seems that there is some strange cross-setting stuff going on with my addons.
    Last edited by phai; 2014-10-22 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Solution

Deleted
    The AddOns.txt files are a bit weird in that they are (used to be?) saved as diffs of the previous character's config. Thus, every character's config will only contain those addons whose enabled/disabled state is different from the one directly above him in the character list.

I've run into some issues with that when moving characters up/down in the menu shortly after that feature was introduced (I think this has since been fixed - not sure.)

Addons such as HideRaidFrame completely disable the default raid frames

Even if you stop using addons like that one, the enabled/disabled state setting will still persist per character in the AddOns.txt files
    It's similar to the ACP addon and the new ingame addon list, but then specifically for blizzard addons

* Basically rephrasing what Treeston already said.. while both being 1 week late
    Last edited by Ketho; 2014-10-27 at 05:31 PM.