Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I have mono. Booo...

I'm not looking for medical advice, I've gone to the doctor already.

Two things:

1. How long did it last for you, if you've gone through this yourself? My fatigue and symptoms have been dragging on for like three weeks now.
    2. Any sort of home remedies (teas, soup, herbs) that helped to relieve symptoms?

Right now I'm curled up on the couch, drinking Lemon Zinger tea w/lemon + honey.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was sick for about a month, and bedridden for about a week. My immune system was probably pretty shot, since I had caught chicken pox the month before that, and apprenty its much worse to get that in your 20's.

All that made me feel better was a warm hoodie, blankets, and raspberry honey tea.

Be careful where you put your lips next time.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

2 weeks of the worst body ache and soar throat just sucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    From what I've noticed, stuff like herpes and mono isn't usually through kissing or whatever. In fact it often happens through sipping out of a cup that someone else drank out of.
    Hey everyone

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Back in HS, the # 1 ranked heavyweight wrestler had mono. He was out until that last third of the wrestling season if I recall.

You'll have the symptoms for a couple of months if it's like his.

Trying to get a head start on your Halloween costume? Pasty-white, slow moving and moaning? All you need is a bed sheet. Wait, you're in bed already! It's perfect. You're sure to terrify all the neighbor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    1. How long did it last for you, if you've gone through this yourself? My fatigue and symptoms have been dragging on for like three weeks now.
    2. Any sort of home remedies (teas, soup, herbs) that helped to relieve symptoms?
    1. 3-4 weeks.
    2. My mother made soup with chicken stock, boiled with ginger, dried thyme, and oregano. Little toasts on the side with some goat cheese. That's about all I could eat.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Lol. Duly noted

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Trying to get a head start on your Halloween costume? Pasty-white, slow moving and moaning? All you need is a bed sheet. Wait, you're in bed already! It's perfect. You're sure to terrify all the neighbor kids.
    Most of the neighbor kids show up on my doorstep on a regular basis because I'm younger then their parents and they mistakenly think I'm cool and hip, and I give them homemade cookies, lol. Which it looks like I might need to put a stop to, considering that I'm contagious...

Its gonna last a couple weeks at least, its not bad but you dont feel well the whole time.

Edit: Im way to tired to think grammar, well not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Lol. Duly noted
    Straws. Use the straws!

My current remedy for sickness is a Thai soup. Chicken stock, ginger, lemongrass, lime leaf, chili peppers boiled for a while, then off heat soy sauce, fish sauce and coconut milk. Noodles if you want (add before the previous three ingredients).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

My sister got mono, took her a month about if I recall correctly to get better, so seems to be a common frame.

Feel better

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    What's mono....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    What's mono....
    a type of herpes

Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    What's mono....
    "mono" means "one". So "Celista is the One". *enter Neo* Or is it "Celesta has the One"? *enter Trinity*

Sorry... obscure references.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    "mono" means "one". So "Celista is the One". *enter Neo* Or is it "Celesta has the One"? *enter Trinity*

Sorry... obscure references.
    obscure to who, the 3 people alive who haven't seen the matrix? lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Dude, you should upgrade to stereo!

But seriously, I never really got any of those kinds of diseases, chicken pox and etc, I have always been a pretty healthy person besides colds. I mean I have had the flu and staph before but it never got bad. I guess I still have 3 years before my chanes of getting it goes down a lot, but I don't think I will get it. My immune system is pretty kick ass.

Take it easy man(?). Don't push yourself too hard. One tip I can give your is not to take very warm showers, the steam can really take a lot of your energy out of you, which would not help you, one time when I was younger I rember taking a shower and sitting downand I literally had trouble getting my clothes on, it was like all my energy was completely zapped.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

As someone who often cringes at your post in forums. I'm sorry to hear this. I hope you feel better soon!!. But get ready a good 3-7 days of your life is gonna be utter hell on your body.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Dude, you should upgrade to stereo!

But seriously, I never really got any of those kinds of diseases, chicken pox and etc, I have always been a pretty healthy person besides colds. I mean I have had the flu and staph before but it never got bad. I guess I still have 3 years before my chanes of getting it goes down a lot, but I don't think I will get it. My immune system is pretty kick ass.

Take it easy man(?). Don't push yourself too hard. One tip I can give your is not to take very warm showers, the steam can really take a lot of your energy out of you, which would not help you, one time when I was younger I rember taking a shower and sitting downand I literally had trouble getting my clothes on, it was like all my energy was completely zapped.
    I'm not sure what happened that year, but i was the only time I had every really been sick. My cousin, 8 at the time got small pox, but I was vaccinated so I brought her some soup and a get well card. A while later, I notice funny blisters on my chest. Bam, chicken pox... After two weeks of feeling like I was dying, I recover, only for a week later to start to feel sick again, and bam. Mono. A month of wishing I would die so it would stop, and I once more get better. Not a week later, I get strep throat leading to some kind of other tonsil infection. After this I got two peanut butter shots in my ass, and started feeling better within a few days, and havent been sick in years.

Not sure what that was all about, but I wouldn't have wished it on anyone.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zvinny View Post
    I'm not sure what happened that year, but i was the only time I had every really been sick. My cousin, 8 at the time got small pox, but I was vaccinated so I brought her some soup and a get well card. A while later, I notice funny blisters on my chest. Bam, chicken pox... After two weeks of feeling like I was dying, I recover, only for a week later to start to feel sick again, and bam. Mono. A month of wishing I would die so it would stop, and I once more get better. Not a week later, I get strep throat leading to some kind of other tonsil infection. After this I got two peanut butter shots in my ass, and started feeling better within a few days, and havent been sick in years.

Not sure what that was all about, but I wouldn't have wished it on anyone.
    I have sore throats every once in a while and pink eye, but nothing that could stop me from doing things. My family naturally has huge tonsils, and I think I even have bugger one. My gp always talks about me getting rid of them, but I am against it even though it causes problems. I am kinda against having any surgery done or anything(does not help I live in america). I have never had any surgery done to me(unless circumcision counts? Don't remember it) and never have even broken any part of my body. When I was a kid one day I did catch something that made my temperature go over 110f, took me to a hospital but they could not find anything me, after a while and some cold medicine I was fine. Was just one of those wierd unexplainable medical things. Though I recently thought I might actually had an early strand of bird flu, because when I was sick, my bird was also sick.

Besides those things I really have been really lucky.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose