Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Hunters seem boring after 6.0

For the first time since Vanilla I feel like my hunter is boring to play. The shot priority systems is too basic. Not sure if its just because the haste scaling down, or what. I actually liked the the button bloat of mist. It was somewhat challenging to play perfectly. Am I the only one who feels this way? I think serpent sting should make a come back. But for the first time, I find myself reconsidering playing a hunter in the next expansion. Survival, and BM are very simple, and MM is all about focus management. The stationary buff will make MM be considerably more fun to play in the future when steady shots don't take over 1.5 seconds to cast.

Pocketful- 110 Priest- Savant - US Proudmoore

I am holding out to see how they play at 100 but I don't mind the changes for the most part. I miss Kill Shot for SV though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

Yeah, that's kind of what Im thinking too. MM could be alot of fun with shorter cast times. Reminds me alot of the WOTLK playstyle. We shall see, maybe ill boost a shaman that I have always wanted.

Pocketful- 110 Priest- Savant - US Proudmoore

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz has said that you're supposed to get the complexity from your talent choices. Are Hunters like Warriors where your offensive talents are mostly irrelevant, or is this an issue that'll be solved just by reaching 100?
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

If you think serpent sting should make a comeback, thank god you are not a dev.
    It was a mindless spell that you mostly just pressed once / fight, how would that make hunter more fun to play?

Quote Originally Posted by royen View Post
    If you think serpent sting should make a comeback, thank god you are not a dev.
    It was a mindless spell that you mostly just pressed once / fight, how would that make hunter more fun to play?
    SrS should make a comeback... as a new name for Arcane Shot, 'cos it makes no sense that arrow of arcane energy poisons you...

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Blizz has said that you're supposed to get the complexity from your talent choices. Are Hunters like Warriors where your offensive talents are mostly irrelevant, or is this an issue that'll be solved just by reaching 100?
    Two of our level 100 talents are essentially passive and the third is... well it's not passive, but it's also not very good (difficult to use efficiently and likely not strong enough even if you manage it). Overall most people consider MM and BM to be fine (fairly simple ability priority but complexity in the form of Sniper Training for MM, BM basically unchanged from MOP) but survival to be missing an element of some kind.

My guess is blizzard spent too long trying to make their new version of Lock and Load work, and by the time they realized it wasn't going to they didn't have enough time left to try something else. The result is survival has no cooldown, no execute, no DOTs to manage (I don't count applying black arrow on cooldown or serpent sting as management since there's not really any gameplay there besides tabbing arcane shot onto a second target every 15 seconds), and no special features. The only proc is lock and load, which is unchanged from MOP and just means you hit explosive shot another few times when it lights up.

Damage tuning is also questionable but that's a different story.
    Dibbler <Electric Sheep> - Mythic raiding 7/7, 2/3, 10 hours/week

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Are you serious? Either you didn't play your hunter in TBC or you didn't know how to play one. There was a one button macro in TBC that maxed your dps. One. Button. Don't give me this "not since Vanilla" junk. Now, if you are talking about PvP that's a completely different story. We couldn't cast on the move, we had to use actual melee abilities (remember Wing Clip?), we used mana and had a drain mana shot, we had scatter shot, and many others that have gone by the wayside. But for maxing dps in PvE hunters are now nearly infinitely more complex. There are even decisions to make sometimes.

Also I don't see where we are any less complex than prior to 6.0. SV lost Kill Shot. There was no complexity to KS, use it on CD when available. BM lost Rapid Fire. There was bare minimal complexity to RF, use it on CD but not during BW. MM and BM lost Serpent Sting. Cast it once and then forget it exists, no complexity. Losing a couple buttons that have brain dead requirements is not losing complexity. If you find hunters boring now then I'm not sure what was exciting about them in 5.4. Which of the abilities that are gone now were what made hunters exciting for you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thursley View Post
    Two of our level 100 talents are essentially passive and the third is... well it's not passive, but it's also not very good (difficult to use efficiently and likely not strong enough even if you manage it). Overall most people consider MM and BM to be fine (fairly simple ability priority but complexity in the form of Sniper Training for MM, BM basically unchanged from MOP) but survival to be missing an element of some kind.

My guess is blizzard spent too long trying to make their new version of Lock and Load work, and by the time they realized it wasn't going to they didn't have enough time left to try something else. The result is survival has no cooldown, no execute, no DOTs to manage (I don't count applying black arrow on cooldown or serpent sting as management since there's not really any gameplay there besides tabbing arcane shot onto a second target every 15 seconds), and no special features. The only proc is lock and load, which is unchanged from MOP and just means you hit explosive shot another few times when it lights up.

Damage tuning is also questionable but that's a different story.
    So it is much like Warriors, where our later talents really don't matter or aren't choices. Pick Ravager, use it with Bloodbath. Pick Dragon's Roar, it's lowest in your ability priority. Lame!

What I did try of Hunters on the beta, I found MM with Focusing Shot an interesting change, but that was a few months ago. I'll try some stuff when it's live in November, see what I like. Disappointing to hear that SV is no good to play. Sounds like Arms.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    MM could be fun if they made Camouflage into a dps cd. Something that stands apart, like this :

You meld into your surroundings, currently empowering your aimed shot, reducing the cast by half, and increasing damage 5x.

Let the visual of the spell make the hunter kneel on one knee and zoom slightly into the target.

Will never happen, but I would like it :P

Deleted
    It's not a hunter problem, is a blizzard/wow problem. I realy wanted to play in wod but so far i only find a couple specs actualy reasonably interesting to play atm. Most (almoust all) are so dumbed down and feel so slow that i can't even grasp the idea of why not many more people threaten to quit atm.

Realy, i'm not trying to QQ just for the sake of it, most of the specs i've tried so far are so simplistic and slow that it seems i'm playing a diferent game, most of them have a 3-4 key rotation, with 1-2 extra keys for resource management/burst CD.

The only specs i'm finding fast and with some fun rotation is prot warrior (gladiator @ lvl 100) and elemental shaman spec randomness (with elemental blast talent). Some specs are absolutely dreadful (locks, DKs, feral druid comes to mind), so hunter is not realy the single problem.

Deleted
    playing MM, the boredom for me is mostly from the amount of spamming steady shot that has to happen, most of our abilities now use almost up to half of our focus, so we make one or two attacks, then have to spam steady for a bit, then use another attack. the worst part is I still always have enough focus when my abilities come off of cooldown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by knightpt View Post
    It's not a hunter problem, is a blizzard/wow problem. I realy wanted to play in wod but so far i only find a couple specs actualy reasonably interesting to play atm. Most (almoust all) are so dumbed down and feel so slow that i can't even grasp the idea of why not many more people threaten to quit atm.

Realy, i'm not trying to QQ just for the sake of it, most of the specs i've tried so far are so simplistic and slow that it seems i'm playing a diferent game, most of them have a 3-4 key rotation, with 1-2 extra keys for resource management/burst CD.

The only specs i'm finding fast and with some fun rotation is prot warrior (gladiator @ lvl 100) and elemental shaman spec randomness (with elemental blast talent). Some specs are absolutely dreadful (locks, DKs, feral druid comes to mind), so hunter is not realy the single problem.
    Yep.

Pretty much every single spec has been extremely dumbed down. I knew awhile ago I wanted to main a tard if I play next expac but after the patch and how boring each spec was now I went to try all my other classes. They're all this way, sad to say, and many have it way worse. That plus no real stat balancing/reforging/min maxing I can't imagine playing class/character wise is going to be very exciting. Here's hoping boss strats/abilities are really complicated...

Yea i agree with you OP about the SrS. My key bind for #1 is still empty, nothing feels right in its spot. Id like to see it back. Also, seeing 0 debuffs on your target throws me off too. Miss that HM and SrS ticking up there. I tried MM out a bit, didnt really care for it. It does resemble the armor pen play style from WotLK, but still feels like its missing something. Probably the CDs.

All in all, I agree, my class I've been playing for 8 years has become bland. Yes, button bloat was an issue for the Hunter class, but it was a bit extreme. Who knows, maybe it'l get better next expansion when more gets added to talents >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are finding the spec boring then perhaps it's time to step up to more challenging content. Even with the nerfed-to-all-hell SoO, I am not finding MM at all boring.

tldr: any spec will seem boring if you are playing in a faceroll difficulty setting.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Offensive talents don't really make a difference. None of them greatly affect gameplay at all, not in the slightest. They are all either direct damage cooldowns (like murder or glaive toss) or passive effects that barely affect gameplay. Even TotH only reduces the number of necessary steady shots.

There are no talents that will change the way hunters play enough so that we are no longer so lakcluster in gameplay.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Trialtm View Post
    Yea i agree with you OP about the SrS. My key bind for #1 is still empty, nothing feels right in its spot. Id like to see it back. Also, seeing 0 debuffs on your target throws me off too. Miss that HM and SrS ticking up there. I tried MM out a bit, didnt really care for it. It does resemble the armor pen play style from WotLK, but still feels like its missing something. Probably the CDs.

All in all, I agree, my class I've been playing for 8 years has become bland. Yes, button bloat was an issue for the Hunter class, but it was a bit extreme. Who knows, maybe it'l get better next expansion when more gets added to talents >.<
    Put your potion in the bind. You'll hit it once per fight like before anyways.

I think they did a great job culling the bloat.

10+ Year Old Account
    After playing hunter in 6.0 (Main swapped to it as well) and on the beta, I can say that I agree that they're a little barren. I do agree with Conjor though, it's not that boring, I've been having a lot of fun as MM figuring out where you're going to move to try to maintain Sniper Training keeps me thinking. And I'm happy to see MM at the top for the spec to be because I've loved it since Wrath.
    Two things I do miss from MM is HM and my Piercing shots, though Piercing shots is not really anything I cast, I still liked getting a crit and seeing some bleed ticks, made me feel like my shots had more impact, if that even makes sense lol. HM I liked more for PvP than anything, being able to mark a rogue so they couldn't stealth without popping Cloak / Vanish was helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Conjor View Post
    If you are finding the spec boring then perhaps it's time to step up to more challenging content. Even with the nerfed-to-all-hell SoO, I am not finding MM at all boring.

tldr: any spec will seem boring if you are playing in a faceroll difficulty setting.
    TY

/10char