Deleted

Looking for advice on a guild situation.

Looking for some advice, after doing just past nazgrim today on mythic with my guild and I something I noticed a while back has become really clear in this patch.

I far outdps anyone in my guild and it feels like they are the reason why we couldn't get past thok on old heroic difficulty, I thought their dps might improve over time but it seems it hasn't and their awareness sucks something fierce.

Now for the advice part, I do like the people in the guild as it is a lighthearted guild which enjoys a joke however my friend has been trying to recruit me into a higher tier raiding guild on the server for a while now as he realities that with my gear/experience/dps I could join them and do well. Howvever I am just conflicted whether to join the guild better suited for progression (which I would like in the next expansion) or the guild in which I like the people.

Sorry for the wall of text just looking for some advice if any of you guys have done similar things.

tl:dr Offered to join a more focused progression guild and not sure whether to leave my current one.

Here's what I ask, what is it that you want? Do you want to go for progression or do you want to play for the fun of the game with people you know you like? Either way you chose don't burn any bridges that way you may reverse the decision at a later time.

Do you have any alts? Perhaps you could take your main raiding character over to your friend's progression raiding guild, and keep the alts in the more friendly guild to hang out with and do alt raids or whatnot, when you're not progressing on your main.

Deleted
    I do have a half decently geared resto shaman alt that I used to heal with and I could do what you suggest with that alt.

As with my main I am more interested in progression as I feel I am at least competent enough to keep up with the others.

If you're more interested in progression, move with your main and keep your alts there.

It sounds like a selfish thing to say, but you can't force yourself to stay with them if you're not having fun. The end objective of this game, as well as any games really, is to have fun. You should have a conversation with them about how you're feeling, be honest about it, if they're as cool as you say they are they SHOULD understand.

If they don't, well... you're better off without them.

I would give that a try then. Be mindful of Samireyn's advice too, though: burning bridges are bad juju. Just explain to your current GM in a calm, civilized manner and I'm sure there won't be any issues - especially since you're offering to heal for them still. ^_^

Good luck! =D

I agree with what was already stated...just keep in mind not all guilds are ok with the alt thing...sounds like yours is pretty laid back so it'd probably be ok but I'd find out for sure. Also, you never know you might like the progression minded guildmates just as much. It's a hard choice no doubt, but gotta go with what will make you enjoy your game time the most.

Depends how much you care about progress or just dicking around.

I prefer usually to get some decent progression (hoping I like the raid team too) because if I'm getting stuck with poor players then I almost don't want to raid period. Even if they are fun folks it gets to you if you are stuck due to the reasons you posted.

I've left more "fun" guilds to join progression guilds and haven't looked back. I'm usually at least neutral and might truly dislike 1 or 2 people at best. Obviously the number might be higher depending on the guild as well as Mythic/25man's having more chances of "unfavorables".

Best advice I can give is to not be a total ass and leave without telling at least a few people your intent. It eases your conscience (if you have one or even care) and reduces potential drama. (again if you care)
    Stay salty my friends.

If you're looking for progression, I recommend moving your main over to a more serious raiding guild. This is the time to upgrade if you're looking for better progression next xpac, as 10M mythic raiding guilds are looking to fill out their roster for 6.0 raiding + WoD.

If you really love the guild you're in currently, you can always leave an alt in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd encourage you to move on. Its clear that you are already considering it, otherwise you wouldn't have made this thread.
    Facts are, you can find good people and make some good friends in a progression-minded environment.
    There is something about the struggle that has really solidified friendships in our guild.

I just urge you to make sure you "doing way more DPS" then the rest isn't because you are decent and they are horrible, instead of you are exceptional and they are holding you back.

I've seen this happen many times, the person who was decent end up leaving a group of friends, never find a good guild, and then just end up quitting the game altogether because they burned bridges with people that they didn't think they could enjoy.
    WoW Moderator and Staff Editor at Stratics-WoW!
    http://wow.stratics.com/ - A World of Warcraft Fansite dedicated to lively opinions on the important topics within the game.
    Co-owner of AcegamesTV!
    https://www.youtube.com/acegamestv - A general gaming network focused on high quality variety content!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krommm View Post
    Depends how much you care about progress or just dicking around.

I prefer usually to get some decent progression (hoping I like the raid team too) because if I'm getting stuck with poor players then I almost don't want to raid period. Even if they are fun folks it gets to you if you are stuck due to the reasons you posted.

I've left more "fun" guilds to join progression guilds and haven't looked back. I'm usually at least neutral and might truly dislike 1 or 2 people at best. Obviously the number might be higher depending on the guild as well as Mythic/25man's having more chances of "unfavorables".

Best advice I can give is to not be a total ass and leave without telling at least a few people your intent. It eases your conscience (if you have one or even care) and reduces potential drama. (again if you care)
    I'm on good terms with a few of the officers and the GM so i'll be telling them the situation after I have had a chat with the GM of the new guild as they know me pretty well I hope it'll go down smoothly.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

I had this similar situation with a guild where a real life friend wanted me to come join his and I was a key raider (while not top dps) with the guild i was in. What I did is what has been suggested I spoke with the gm and officers and explained. They all understood and then I explained to the guild as a whole what was going on.

I have since taken all but 1 alt out of there but when ever i log in to that alt i am always greeted well and hang out with them

10+ Year Old Account
    As with my main I am more interested in progression as I feel I am at least competent enough to keep up with the others.
    Ijust want to pick at this a bit - are you interested in progression separate from your ability to keep up? What I mean is that there are people who are interested in progression because they want to challenge themselves, etc. And then there are people who are interested in it as a status thing. Neither's wrong or right, but be clear on why you are interested in progression. Specifically, will you be satisfied with clearing a tier on Mythic once or twice or will you farm it for all of the gear you need to do as well as you can on the next tier? It's one thing to clear a tier - that feels good. It's another to show up and raid to help your raid farm for gear even if you don't need anything yourself.

What I'm getting at is progression raiding is as much about what the raid needs as what you like.

Sounds like you'd be happier moving on, so I would suggest doing just that. I faced the same choice early Wrath; the guild I learned to raid in with a bunch of good people in TBC only had a few people my skill level and there wasn't any change in sight. So I took the step up, and I met plenty of people there that were a lot of fun, too.

if you have time and want to experience more content, then ditch them. their fault for being bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskaideka View Post
    Do you have any alts? Perhaps you could take your main raiding character over to your friend's progression raiding guild, and keep the alts in the more friendly guild to hang out with and do alt raids or whatnot, when you're not progressing on your main.
    ^ This person gets it.

This is one of those nice (rare) situations in life (...of Warcraft) where you get to have your cake and eat it too. As an added bonus, you open yourself to twice the amount of people to do other stuff with if you so choose. A foot in each guild, hopefully without alienating anyone.

You never even have to bring up seeking faster progression, can just attribute your desire to "play a bit more w/ a RL friend." This way, it has nothing even to do with your current guild, more of a social desire to play with a friend.

Win-win =)

The higher up in the progression tree you travel, the more unfriendly atmosphere you are going to get in. However, if you feel like progress is your thing more then playing with people you like you should go to the better team.

Ive been in this situation a couple of times, and ive always chosen the better guild and it hasnt always turned out great.

New friends can always be bought.

But do you feel better carrying others than being carried yourself ?

When joining a more progress oriented guild, you may find yourself outside any social cliques that already exist there.

Feeling alone and at the bottom of the meters, no earned dkp gives you only the loot none else wants when you get a raidspot.

I'd say try and stay with those persons you like, solve some of their problems with gearing up or help them in general.

Being friendly usually pays of in the long run.