... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    What constitutes 'too much'.
    Ask your doctor
    Or gogle it on internet.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    I'd support it if they would just offer small things like free or cheaper memberships to things that keep them healthy like gyms etc..

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    A easier fix would be banning all the food that causes this. Or force stores too prevent fat people buying too much sugar and fat and other unhealty products.
    It goes against freedom tho.....

However there is a way too patch things up. A simple law that prevents young people from eating junk food (same for alcohol and cigs). And a lot of school hours teaching a healty life. If parents bring there kids too lets say...mcdonald-- they will see warnings of kids getting fat due too junk food.
    It would also be good for economy. Every resturant who sells a junk food too a single kid = out of biznis and huge penalty.

I belive that a conter to that argumente is that , that type of food tend tio be cheaper, no idea if its true just what i heard, another one is that a part of the people that eat that type of food do it cause they dont have the time to cook theyr own food.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Ask your doctor
    Or gogle it on internet.
    Most doctors I know are using a fairly outdated nutritional model that says fat is bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I'd support it if they would just offer small things like free or cheaper memberships to things that keep them healthy like gyms etc..
    That gave me na idea, how about if you could get some reduction on taxes for having, and participating, on gyms menbership and the like, also maybe reduces taxes on exercices machines and the like.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Couple of problems with this.

First off, I wasn't stupid enough to let myself get to be five thousand pounds or whatever, where's my reward? Surely if fat people get something for losing weight thin people should get something for not being fat in the first place.

Secondly, what's stopping me from just gaining 150 pounds and then losing it, then gaining it and then losing it again. If being healthy doesn't qualify you for a reward by itself, then in order to participate I'd have to gain 100 pounds first just to be able to play their game. That hardly seems fair.

Pretty stupid idea really, if fat people are too stupid to take care of themselves because they actually value their life then I don't really see why paying them to get fit is a good idea, they obviously don't care about themselves to begin with why would they care about money?
    The problem: Healthcare for the overweight costs a lot of money. (5 billion / year based on the article)
    The proposed solution: Reward people for losing weight. (whatever numbers they crunch to meet their goal in savings)

Thin/fit people are not part of the problem and rewarding them would only cost money, which is the exact opposite of the goal of saving money. I'm also pretty sure that vast majority of the fat people would rather instantly get thin/fit than get the reward.

What is stopping you from gaining 150 pounds and then losing it is that the reward can't possibly be big enough for it to be remotely worth the trouble and effort. If rapidly losing weight would be such a simple task I don't see how obesity would be such a major problem. And life isn't fair anyway.

Being fat isn't being too stupid to care of yourself either. Just gaining 100kcal extra a day can make you gain 100 pounds of weight in 10 years. Weight gain during such a long period of time is hard to notice. You don't really notice it unless you stumble on a picture of yourself 5 years ago or something. Being fat being such a taboo also makes people less likely to openly talk about their weight or tell their friend that he has gained some weight. I would guess that's how majority of overweight people have gained weight. Small differences in your daily routines can make a massive difference over long periods of time.

In the end being overweight usually comes down to ignorance, the same exact thing your post oozes. Simply calculating a break point where rewarding weight loss per person will be cheaper than the cost of treating the health problems will ensure money will be saved and general health will be improved. Everyone wins. The worst case scenario is that no one loses weight and nothing changes...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NPEC View Post
    That gave me na idea, how about if you could get some reduction on taxes for having, and participating, on gyms menbership and the like, also maybe reduces taxes on exercices machines and the like.
    The issue is not only the cost of gymnasia.

The issue is that people, especially in the US, work excessively long hours and have neither the time or the energy to spend exercising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Wanna know how to erase obesity?

Subsidize personal trainers - most people don't know shit about proper diet and exercise nor can they afford the advice and help from someone that does.
    Subsidize gym memberships- most people can't afford one.
    Either require an hour of every work day be set aside for exercise (not really practical) or pay someone an hourly wage for going to the gym or working out. If someone got a $15 per hour wage (with a cap on how many hours) they would easily have motivation to work out. It also helps keep people skinny.

You have just taken the 3 biggest things out of the equation for people to be fat. Ignorance, time and money.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The issue is not only the cost of gymnasia.

The issue is that people, especially in the US, work excessively long hours and have neither the time or the energy to spend exercising.
    I knw that and what i said was not a "fix all solution", it was just away to improve the reward system being debated.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Bloody fatties! Get off your arse and lose some weight you horrible fatty!
    If you're paying people to change it will never be real change. Besides, the incentive is to be healthy not cash in on your bad eating habits. Nothing worse than fat people.

Quote Originally Posted by Anium View Post
    Nothing worse than fat people.
    Nothing???

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Nothing???
    Sorry yeah. Fat people moaning about how they should be entitled to more because of their weight issue Just because you're 3 times my size doesn't mean you have 3 x more rights, fatty!

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It's from the Mirror. Neat to see if it works. I've always wondered why we don't pay people for positive behavior, kids to get good grades, people to stop smoking, etc.
    I'd also consider rewarding detached-from-reality holier-than-thous for abstaining from talking. Awarding vile ignorance with money would be a travesty though. I suggest cup cakes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well then i demand a prize too, you know, for actually having self control.

Only Americans can get payed to be normal

Stop subsidizing corn, corn prices rise, companies stop using it as a cheap filler.

The leading contributors to obesity are soft drinks and snack foods which contain sugar in the form of high fructose corn syrup, which is added both as a flavoring base and a preservative.

Can't think of a more revenue neutral means of reducing obesity than ceasing a subsidy which subsidizes one of the causes of obesity.
    Last edited by Lord Havik; 2014-10-23 at 08:43 AM.

Certainly a lot cheaper than having to pay for the consequences of obesity.

Give it a try - what could be possibly worse than a bludgeoning mountain of medical debt and expenditures related to obesity?
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Is it just me or is everyone banging on about the US when its from the UK Mirror, and referenceing the NHS throughout the OP...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Just wait until the Progressives in the future decide that fat people are a burden to society and the gene pool, and decide to just remove them from the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Is it just me or is everyone banging on about the US when its from the UK Mirror, and referenceing the NHS throughout the OP...
    Looks like it lol.