The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Need reliable Mumble host

I'm in charge of providing Mumble for my guild, and having used cheapmumble.com for a couple of months now, we really need to get a new one - having issues with random disconnects, server crashing and just generally being a pain. Anyone able to suggest a good host?

Edit: Might be worth mentioning we're a EU guild, so preferably looking for someone from EU with good suggestions.
    Last edited by Telanore; 2014-10-23 at 09:34 PM.

While I don't know of any mumble hosts, I could recommend raidcall which is free and had 0 issues with it ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guild has been using http://nfoservers.com/ for quite a while now and we never really have any problems.

Oh God, Raidcall is atrocious.

We've used Multiplay for Mumble for the last couple of years. The vast majority of the time it's absolutely fine, but occasionally they get DDoSed :-/

Quote Originally Posted by ThePants999 View Post
    Oh God, Raidcall is atrocious.

We've used Multiplay for Mumble for the last couple of years. The vast majority of the time it's absolutely fine, but occasionally they get DDoSed :-/
    That's the same for most other providers, occasionally there are issues no matter what.

OT: nfoservers and mumble.com are both amazing providers.

Personally i've always used Typefrag, they're pretty good about letting you know when maintenance is going to happen, and i've never had an issue with them getting attacked or anything, (though im sure it probably has happened lol)

what's wrong with www.mumble.com ? Used them for a while. Alternatively, get yourself a VPS and host one yourself Would likely cost less per month in terms of $/per slot.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

If you have a reasonably decent connection (which most EU people have nowadays anyway) a very basic connection and computer can handle mumble just fine, it does not take very much bandwidth and even less computer resources. The mumble server (murmur) is included in the client package and is quite easy to set up.

If you're really going for cheap above all or just want that extra control and freedom. Coupled with a dynamic dns host it's a perfectly good option. I ran a mumble server with ~20 users on a quite generic 100/10mb fiber line (albeit I believe it was 10/1 back then) and a decent but ~3yo computer and never noticed it was running. Changed away from it eventually because I wanted to do some other stuff with the PC that made it less convenient for people to use but as our guild website provider (enjin) has a fairly decent mumble solution that doesn't matter much. Been setting up a server on a linux machine just to have as backup along the way.
    Last edited by Perryn; 2014-10-23 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perryn View Post
    If you have a reasonably decent connection (which most EU people have nowadays anyway) a very basic connection and computer can handle mumble just fine, it does not take very much bandwidth and even less computer resources. The mumble server (murmur) is included in the client package and is quite easy to set up.

If you're really going for cheap above all or just want that extra control and freedom. Coupled with a dynamic dns host it's a perfectly good option. I ran a mumble server with ~20 users on a quite generic 100/10mb fiber line (albeit I believe it was 10/1 back then) and a decent but ~3yo computer and never noticed it was running. Changed away from it eventually because I wanted to do some other stuff with the PC that made it less convenient for people to use but as our guild website provider (enjin) has a fairly decent mumble solution that doesn't matter much. Been setting up a server on a linux machine just to have as backup along the way.
    I would look into this as well! If you have decent connection. Here's what the official mumble wiki says about Murmur bandwidth.
    Worst case scenario: Number of users × Number of talking users × 133,6 kbit/s. With less aggressive quality settings, it's ~60 kbit/s, and the bare minimum is 17.4kbit/s.
    So you'll want about a 5 to 10Mbit/s connection.

Deleted
    I host my own mumble server and it's probably most reliable one i use, because having your own mumble server that runs 24/7 is better than having it hosted who knows where.

Maybe setup some low powered server that runs 24/7 and setup services you need yourself. I run mc server/any other game server i play, mumble, web, my own file hosting, i mean it's great if only you and your friends use it.

So maybe you or your guild mate can set it up!
    Last edited by mmoc1f5e8fd9f1; 2014-10-24 at 06:33 AM.

We used to use multiplay but we got fed up of the ddos attacks and went elsewhere which is a shame seeing as I had used them for hosting of various servers for a long time but when the server starts lagging out on progress you have to look elsewhere.

We are currently with Typefrag.com and while it is more expensive then multiplay the server has been rock solid, from what I can tell its hosted on amazons AWS which is a pretty serious set of hardware to try and ddos. You could also host the server yourself on Amazon I'm not sure if they are still offering free micro instances on ec2.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Appreciate all the suggestions, think I'll go for Typefrag as I've seen a lot of good responses from them Would've hosted it myself, but I don't really trust my computer for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Merany View Post
    I'm in charge of providing Mumble for my guild, and having used cheapmumble.com for a couple of months now, we really need to get a new one - having issues with random disconnects, server crashing and just generally being a pain. Anyone able to suggest a good host?

Edit: Might be worth mentioning we're a EU guild, so preferably looking for someone from EU with good suggestions.
    Hello Merany, this is Nick from CheapMumble.

We're sorry to hear that you've had a negative experience with CheapMumble, and we apologize for the issues on our London server yesterday. While we haven't experienced any server crashes, the node's provider was unfortunately under a DDoS attack. This has since been remedied and appears to not be occurring further, however we are closely monitoring it in case it changes.

In order to make things better, I would like to offer you a free 3 month renewal on your server as well as the option to move to one of our DDoS-protected EU locations (Roubaix, France or Frankfurt, Germany) to avoid this issue from happening again.

If not, I understand. This sort of downtime is highly unacceptable and we do our best to avoid it. We've actively removed providers having consistent issues like this in the past and hope that this will not be an experience most of our customers endure.

Thank you,
    Nick

10+ Year Old Account
    I've used Typefrag for several years and they've been highly reliable. My guild uses Ventrilo and we're North America, but they also offer Mumble and Teamspeak servers for the same prices ($0.40/slot and you can switch between softwares at will) and they offer server locations in Germany and Ireland.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters