Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I don't much care for lawyers.

Guy gets violated by police then violated by lawyers.

us-usa-alabama-police-id

An Alabama man who sued over being hit and kicked by police after leading them on a high-speed chase will get $1,000 in a settlement with the city of Birmingham, while his attorneys will take in $459,000, officials said Wednesday.

The incident gained public attention with the release of a 2008 video of police officers punching and kicking Anthony Warren as he lay on the ground after leading them on a roughly 20-minute high-speed chase.

Warren is serving a 20-year sentence for attempted murder stemming from his running over a police officer during the chase, in which he also hit a school bus and a patrol car before crashing and being ejected from his vehicle.

Under the terms of the settlement of Warren's 2009 federal suit, in which he accused five Birmingham police officers of excessive force, his attorneys will receive $100,000 for expenses and $359,000 in fees, said Michael Choy, an attorney representing the officers on behalf of the city.

The agreement was reached last month and approved on Tuesday by the Birmingham City Council.

The city settled to avoid further litigation and the risk of a higher payout, Choy said.

Warren's attorneys, Wendy Brooks Crew, Alyson Hood Rains and Cameron Hogan, did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.
    The piece of shit gets what he deserves. The city admits wrong-doing on a settlement, and the guy, who is a piece of shit, get the shellacking he deserves. Or do you think multiple violent count felons deserve a fortune?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The piece of shit gets what he deserves. The city admits wrong-doing on a settlement, and the guy, who is a piece of shit, get the shellacking he deserves. Or do you think multiple violent count felons deserve a fortune?
    The issue is... did the lawyers get what they deserve?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    The issue is... did the lawyers get what they deserve?
    Sure, why not. They've been working on the case for more than, what, five years now.

Also, most people don't realize that attorney's fees are typically approved by the court in most cases, and (usually) always in cases like this. So it wasn't just the attorney's trying to screw someone over - this is all sanctioned by multiple third-party people.

This reminds me of Rodney King. Regardless of his race he would have gotten that well-deserved ass kicking.

So we had one criminal running from the police for breaking the law,
    officers turned into criminals when arresting them by breaking the law,
    and lawyers being lawyers which is pretty close to criminal itself many times.

So 3 criminals ended up in a Mexican stand-off and the Lawyers won and walked off with all the winnings.

As sad as it is, it is hard to feel sad for either of them in here and yet still be mad at the lawyers......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I don't much care for lawyers.
    Is that.. Is that a Jurassic Park reference?!

If so, you sir have won +10 interwebs from me. Well done.

OT: I get it, cops get pissed off if you lead them on a high speed chase.. But, even so I don't think or believe that gives them any right to beat and kick the shit out of the runner.

Their job is to arrest. Period. It's up to the court system to allocate punishment.
    Last edited by Violent; 2014-10-24 at 02:30 AM.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post

So 3 criminals ended up in a Mexican stand-off and the Lawyers won and walked off with all the winnings.

As sad as it is, it is hard to feel sad for either of them in here and yet still be mad at the lawyers......
    It was a case that took half a decade, its expected that the lawyer gets paid a lawyer salary on the hours he spent on that case.

Think of it this way. Attorney fees are separate from the case's fees, and are pre approved. The time of a profession is valuable, and you cant expect a lawyer to bother with a case for 5 years and get a cut of 1000$ only, you would have no more lawyers if that was the case.
    Last edited by cityguy193; 2014-10-24 at 02:32 AM.
    Chronomancer Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xar226 View Post
    Because two wrongs make a right?

He committed a crime, and he is going to spend a significant portion of his life in jail for it.

So did these cops -- they beat the crap out of him. That's illegal. Period. What did they get? Not a damn thing. The taxpayers will foot the bill for their crimes.

Justice in America.
    good to see not everyone here is spewing police state propaganda

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    It was a case that took half a decade, its expected that the lawyer gets paid a lawyer salary on the hours he spent on that case.
    That would work out to about $71,000 per year, which would not be a bag wage and would actually be a little low if that was his only case, but I highly doubt it was.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That would work out to about $71,000 per year, which would not be a bag wage and would actually be a little low if that was his only case, but I highly doubt it was.
    (No clue on law) He'd of work on other cases right?

Just saying that its still a professionals's time. He could have 2 other cases or 10, it wouldnt really matter. Thats his salary, and its different from a 1000$ settlement.
    Chronomancer Club

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by waldor22 View Post
    the police should have got 20 years, and the man should be free right now.

if you think otherwise you might as well go lick some more boots.
    I'd lick boots to avoid that.

Or even drink from one.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Lol, says the guy who's never used a lawyer. I love when people, who know nothing of the law of what real lawyers do, bitch about lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Camel View Post
    (No clue on law) He'd of work on other cases right?
    Yes, most judges typically have multiple cases unless they are insanely high budget and high profile.
    This guy probably had at least 10 other cases going at any point in time, probably more.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I hope you don't honestly believe this lawyer actually worked on this case from 9-5 daily for 5 years... Because that's really the only scenario where I could see this kind of money warrented to him. No, he did not, he filed w/e papers he had to and never touched the case again probably for months at a time while the system does what it does, drag it's feet. The length of time on this case is mostly irrelevant since the ratio of work to time passing by is astronomically small for the lawyer.
    You really have no idea how lawyers work, do you?

Lol, says the guy who's never used a lawyer. I love when people, who know nothing of the law of what real lawyers do, bitch about lawyers.
    Actually, I have seen them in action. Most of them are decent, but when you see the bad ones, they take evil to an art form and give the rest a bad name.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    the police should have got 20 years, and the man should be free right now.

if you think otherwise you might as well go lick some more boots.
    Lol, speaking of propoganda machine, crazy is over that-away.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I have seen them in action. Most of them are decent, but when you see the bad ones, they take evil to an art form and give the rest a bad name.
    That is very true, but the vast majority of them are good people out to help their clients (and yes, to make money).

10+ Year Old Account
    so after your arrested you would like to be beaten? bet the police love you
    I'm normally pro police and do tend to be bias in their favour. My experience with Australian police has been positive, same with the police when I've been in America. That said, the police did cross a line here. Not enough of a line to let the other guy go free, like you suggested.

That is very true, but the vast majority of them are good people out to help their clients (and yes, to make money).
    Yes, agreed but that is just one of those where the bad apples really do spoil the bunch for most people. Lex Luther could take hints from some of the bad ones.