Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrllish View Post
    I can't honestly believe people here are defending the guy who is a proven criminal. He runs over a cop and hits a school bus. Is willing to kill kids for his own sake. He's trash.
    Clearly his thoughts upon running away were "Let's kill this busload of children!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Which isnt going to solve the issue of poor people having shit representation at ALL. It only means even well off people will now have shit representation. If that's what you want, you're absolutely insane. If you ACTUALLY cared about justice for those that cant afford it, you'd want incentives for talanted young people just starting out to be public defenders, vs interns at a private law firm.

and if you want to pay lawyers 100k a year, nationalized, that would increase taxes because the money has to come from somewhere.
    And when the well of are at the mercy of the law system they have created but can no longer buy their way out of, perhaps they will go about fixing things.
    Lets face it, few lawyers are worth more than $60k a year at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    And when the well of are at the mercy of the law system they have created but can no longer buy their way out of, perhaps they will go about fixing things.
    Lets face it, few lawyers are worth more than $60k a year at best.
    I fail to see how a race to the bottom is a solution. BTW in my country defense was part of the prosecution some time ago. And trust me, you would not like it.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't honestly believe people here are defending the guy who is a proven criminal. He runs over a cop and hits a school bus. Is willing to kill kids for his own sake. He's trash.
    I cant believe that people like you are defending cops who were acting like a bunch of thugs, of wait I can because far too many peopel will defend the police no matter what they do and far too many people will blame them no matter the facts.

To summarize: Running over a cop and hitting a school bus: very bad, police beating a defenceless driver afterwards, also very bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Deleted
    any person found guilty of a crime should not profit in regards to compensation stemming from there actions from said crime. This includes compensation claims, royalties from books / movies based off the crimes etc.

He ran over a copper, hit a school bus and patrol car. If anything he should be paying compensation to the officer and paying off damages to the vehicles. instead though he will get $1000. which is a lot more than what the damages to the vehicles involved are. Shit makes no sense to me at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    any person found guilty of a crime should not profit in regards to compensation stemming from there actions from said crime. This includes compensation claims, royalties from books / movies based off the crimes etc.

He ran over a copper, hit a school bus and patrol car. If anything he should be paying compensation to the officer and paying off damages to the vehicles. instead though he will get $1000. which is a lot more than what the damages to the vehicles involved are. Shit makes no sense to me at all.
    Why is it so hard to understand that the police do not have the right to break law just because someone else broke it before?
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Deleted
    Then you have to change the law, besides imprisonment the guilty shall be beaten up, until then he is protected from getting beaten (after he surrendered)

Deleted
    He got money for what he did? I don't want to live on this planet anymore!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    Why is it so hard to understand that the police do not have the right to break law just because someone else broke it before?
    not saying that the police are in the right, or in the wrong, That is not the issue. IF anyone breaks a law, citizen, law enforcement, military, politicians etc, then they should be punished and not rewarded.

Yes if it is true that he was attacked then there should be repercussions for the officers involved, but he should not be given cash in the way of an apology.

Deleted
    The man chose his lawyers, did he not?

I see Alabama man and think this

Regardless of what side you are on, he could of killed a police officer. He's lucky he doesn't have it worse.

Alabama man! He's quick, he's strong, he's active.

Deleted
    No wonder the US law system is shit, it's all backwards. A lawyer is supposed to get a percentage (fee) of what the client wins after the lawsuit is over, and not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    not saying that the police are in the right, or in the wrong, That is not the issue. IF anyone breaks a law, citizen, law enforcement, military, politicians etc, then they should be punished and not rewarded.

Yes if it is true that he was attacked then there should be repercussions for the officers involved, but he should not be given cash in the way of an apology.
    If not cash, then what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    As long as the cops dont start kicking and doing things that ought to be considered illegal yeah he shouldnt have anything but his rights where violated when they started to kick him like he was a dead horse. really if the pigs dont want to pay these things perhaps they should stop acting like pigs and act like honorable law enforcement officers that actually can get the job done without kicking on people on the ground

- - - Updated - - -

So you think it is ok that cops beat the living shit out of you or your friends when they are ont he ground already arrested? really you think that is ok?
    I do. He broke the law, then led them on a high speed chase endangering countless lives, and then continued to fight with the police. He is a scumbag and shouldve been beaten more than he was. We arent talking about a random innocent person walking down the street

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Not really sure about that, especially if you happen to be a minority in an area where the police have a reputation for brutalizing minorities.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on whether or not you believe high-speed chases over drugs are justified. He's serving 20 years for attempted murder and that charge seems pretty sketchy given they are charging him with it for striking a police car during a high-speed chase. They didn't charge him for anything related to the school bus.

Edit: Well I skipped a line in reading, but it doesn't really change the point. He ran from a narcotics officer and it went to a high speed chase, endangering the lives of many people over some drugs. In order for things to escalate, the police must chase, I don't think it should ever reach that point.
    So we should just let him get away? Cool, Ill just start going out and committing crimes. I got a fast car so since they arent allowed to chase me if I drive fast, Im all good!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    No wonder the US law system is shit, it's all backwards. A lawyer is supposed to get a percentage (fee) of what the client wins after the lawsuit is over, and not the other way around.
    You really don't know how the legal system works, do you? I mean, it's super that you can comment on something you have no knowledge of, but it gets tiring after awhile.

(how do I know you don't know - because you assume all representation is based on a percentage - called a contingency fee - which wasn't the case here)

Regardless of whether he deserves anything or not, on what planet do his lawyers deserve $459,000? Yeesh.

He fell out of his car unconscious and they beat him senseless anyway
    That sucks
    Last edited by Bryntrollian; 2014-10-24 at 10:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    -Snip-
    He fell out of his car unconscious and they beat him senseless anyway
    That sucks
    They didn't even check on him before they started the beating. The guy might have been pond scum, but you do not beat down an unconscious person out of anger as a law enforcement officer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    They didn't even check on him before they started the beating. The guy might have been pond scum, but you do not beat down an unconscious person out of anger as a law enforcement officer.
    ^ This.

Approach it like a series of smaller issues, and it becomes much clearer:
    1. Does he deserve to be in jail for a very long time for hitting a police officer and a schoolbus? Absolutely.
    2. Should the cops have run over and started beating an unconscious (possibly dead) person - even if a violent criminal? No, they're out of line.

3. Should there be a court case over the beating? Probably not - it should have been thrown out given the circumstances - and this is the most interesting part to me. The case shouldn't have occurred in the first place, and the judge likely allowed it knowing it would make his lawyer friends rich for an easy win vs. government (who clearly acted in the wrong). That the case took so long that the lawyers earned that much - suggests to me that everyone was stalling to hand the lawyers money. Further, that the award was precisely $460,000, and the lawyers fees at the end of the trial were $459,000 - suggests the criminals lawyers were communicating with the judge / police defense attorney, to end the case once the money ran out: $1000 to the criminal was a margin of error.

Now, they could have all collectively colluded like that to ensure the money wouldn't go to the criminal himself - and I empathize with not wanting to give that guy any of the money - but that's probably wishful thinking. More likely there is corruption afoot, perhaps under the guise of not wanting to give money to the criminal - but corruption nonetheless.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2014-10-24 at 10:42 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    When he runs over an officer, fuck yes. If someone runs over one of my friends, you better believe if I get to them I'm going to be raging with only one person to take it out on.
    yes, and its the police's job to STOP that from happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    3. Should there be a court case over the beating? Probably not - it should have been thrown out given the circumstances
    Why?.
    a group of police officers beat an unconscious suspect, those are the circumstances.
    That merits a civil case, Hell it merits a criminal case Too.