First time build, need a guiding hand

A little background first. So a few years ago my store-bought computer died while playing WoW. More specifically, the graphics card died. I started playing games on my laptop and made plans to get a new graphics card for the old tower. Then I decided that that wouldn't be worth it, and that I ought to just build a whole new machine and get it over with. And I continued to use my laptop.

A couple days ago, my laptop went the way of my old tower. WoD is coming up, and I do not intend to miss out on the launch. I need a tower. I want one that I won't have to replace again for a good, long time. But I'm also on a budget. So here's my info:

Budget: I want to come in under $800 with the OS included.
    Resolution: I have a perfectly good monitor that can do 1680 x 1050, but I do not mind going below that within reason.
    Games / Desired Settings: Mainly I'm going to be playing WoW on this thing. I've been playing it on Low. Anything better than that would, of course, be an improvement.
    Other Usage: I develop games at a hobbyist level. So far it's been simple stuff that doesn't require unusual amounts of power. The laptop did the job well.
    Parts that can be reused: Everything in the old tower that isn't the graphics card, but all that stuff is at least seven years old now, so...
    Do I need an OS?: Yes.
    Do I need peripherals?: Nope. My peripherals are all much younger than the old tower and still have quite a bit of life in them.

As for a current parts list, I'm nowhere near at the level of making one of my own, because I tend to get bogged down in details. But I've seen a few lists I've been thinking about, particularly Marest's budget gaming 600 build and the Setup of the Month - Dolphin (the setups of the month are the primary reason I'm even thinking of going this route). However, I see comments on hardware in these ranges along the lines of "you shouldn't go this low." So I just want to know some points where I could beef them up without going overboard on cost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Deleted
    This is relying a little bit on rebate ~$70, will this work for you?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.98 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($32.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $799.13
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-23 22:29 EDT-0400

The CM CPU Cooler isn't a must.

I recommend an SSD, maybe you can use the HDD from your current PC for storage or add something later on?

A DVD if you need one is ~$15-20

Deleted
    A little different approach than above. Picked a little better mobo and no cpu cooler, you can add that when you want to overclock and instead of ssd an hdd. The benefit was mostly in a far better gpu.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($169.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Cooler Master K280 ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: Rosewill 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $797.19
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-24 02:16 EDT-0400

Deleted
    The benefit was mostly in a far better gpu.
    Right that was my thought as well but honestly for 1680x1050 for the 750ti is great, hell even for 1920x1080 and I personally would rather have the SSD along with it.

Deleted
    Yes its an option, but i would prefer the better gpu. An ssd you can add later, its half for hdd, which you many need to buy later on anyway. Also it will not give him/her a straight performance upgrade as a better gpu does. The gtx750ti is a good low wattage gpu but it like a last resort gpu for gaming to me at least.

Options are options

Deleted
    The gtx750ti is a good low wattage gpu but it like a last resort gpu for gaming to me at least.
    You're also not gaming at 1680x1050 which is the key point here. You get a lot for your $50 (SSD vs HDD) in my opinion, it's also possible the old HDD could be used for storage but only OP knows that.

Start saving for a 1080p monitor and maybe a next gen AMD/Nvidia

Thank you both so much. I pulled the trigger on it today. After much deliberation I went with Kostattoo's build but with Notarget's power supply. I'm looking forward to getting all these boxes, heh.