Poll: Should Raiding be an e-sport?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Raiding as an e-sport.

I'm sure this discussion has been pummeled into the ground, but with the new 20-man raiding set-up maybe it could alleviate some of the discrepancies that arose when it was split between 10 and 25-man.

I've seen a lot of top end raiders tweet about their disappointment that PvE hasn't escalated to the same type of competition that the PvP scene has (not limited to WoW/Blizzard.)

With multiple tournaments and wealthy payouts, I can understand why they would like to have their efforts be rewarded.

So a question of opinion as to whether you believe PvE, raiding in general, should be considered an e-sport?

How would you decide the winner? Speed kills? Difficulty w/ comp? Minimization of wipes?
    Or do you set up a point system based on different factors?

Do you use existing raids that people have cleared? Do you create new ones for the sole benefit of competition?

Or do you think scripted events vs. AI should never be considered true competition?

I doubt PvE has potential as a pure e-sport. In my opinion raiding is fun to do, but not particularly fun to watch. Progression raiding in particular is something I doubt a whole lot of people find enjoyable to watch.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't see raiding ever working as an E-Sport because it's not fun to watch.

Don't think it really works as an e-sport. That said, top streamers in those guilds can make considerable revenue off twitch streaming if they promote themselves sufficiently, just like top PVPers. Unfortunately the world first race is kept private for obvious reasons, but I know the guys at blizzard totally watch it from their lounge room

It definitely isn't an e-sport. It's super boring to watch, and there isn't much strategy other than go fast and kill things. Potentially world first could be, but nobody would watch world first guilds push content 130 hours a week for three weeks, that just isn't feasible. Hell, even races between top guilds when it's on farm would still take hours for one race and would be pretty dull to watch.

There's no way it would work, scripted content can't be an e-sport because it's significantly easier and less dynamic than any type of PvP combat.

As a constant e-sport it wouldnt be that successful, pvp is so much more fun and different to watch a lot of things can happen in pvp that pve is really just hit boss get loot (I know it's not but it's all the same thing every attempt).

15+ Year Old Account
    It's too static to really enjoy it as a spectator.
    Druid since Feb. 06

10+ Year Old Account
    The raid competition at Blizzcon is one of the least entertaining things they do.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be a sport you have to be competing with someone.

A computer is not a someone.

And meters are not a competition.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say speedrunning races for raids like Guild vs Other Guild could be interesting.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Telomerase View Post
    To be a sport you have to be competing with someone.

A computer is not a someone.

And meters are not a competition.
    So fitness isn't a sport?

Deleted
    It's hard enough for these team managers to control teams of five people (i.e fnatic cod4 days) let alone a full 20-25man roster of people all wanting money, endorsements etc etc

15+ Year Old Account
    Bad idea for the same reason that single-player campaigns are not compelling eSports.

Fights are too predictable, too much unbalance between raid setups, not enough entertainment value (see point one).

The reason PvP works as an eSport is because you're against other players, that adds a level of unpredictibilty that player vs environment doesn't have.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninthelora View Post
    So fitness isn't a sport?
    sport
    spɔːt/Submit
    noun
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
    "team sports such as soccer and rugby"

No it isn't. The whole BASIS of the word spot is that in some way it is competitive.

Deleted
    lol no a pve event a esport? dream on hahahah

Challenge Modes would probably be better suited for it since they don't take hours to clear. There was a Challenge Mode tournament at Dreamhack Winter 2012, but unfortunately it was arranged in the last moment and I assume not many knew about it since only somewhhere between 2000-3000 people watched the final, which was streamed.

Deleted
    No. I mean NO.

- painfully boring to watch
    - balancing is lightyears worse than in 'accepted' e-sport like CS, SC2 or League
    - individual skill hard to judge and relatively low (most people will be reasonably unimpressed by both the 30-apm shaman who managed a chain heal just in time and the 34-apm paladin who always steps out of fire oh so nicely)
    - virtually no face or name recognition in 20 man groups

Deleted
    LOL people really think a pve content will be a competitive esport? Dream on it's boring and scripted. Give it up.

Quote Originally Posted by hypetrain View Post
    LOL people really think a pve content will be a competitive esport? Dream on it's boring and scripted. Give it up.
    You're under the assumption that I want it to happen. I don't care really as it doesn't affect me. I would just curious as to what the mmo-c consensus was.

I don't see PvE as an eSport thingy.