Putting a new GPU in an old system?

Hey guys,
    I asked for some build advice on here a while back, and everyone was super helpful.

I have another question now. It's become clear to me that I won't be able to afford all the parts to build a completely new system before WoD launches. However, I have enough money that I could buy the GTX 970 GPU and a new PSU to go with it. I could put it into my current system, and then into my new system when I have the funding to buy the rest of the parts (new mobo, CPU, RAM, etc). But is that even worth doing? My current system is pretty old as far as computers go.

Current specs
    Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
    Chipset: AMD RD770
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3000 MHz
    Physical Memory: 4096 KB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Hard Disk: Western Digital WD5000AAKX-001CA0 ATA Device (500GB)
    DVD-Rom Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST a
    Monitor Type: Samsung SyncMaster - 19 inches
    Network Card: Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
    DirectX: Version 11.00
    Windows Performance Index: 5.9 on 7.9
    Nameless hunter pets make me rage. You have been warned.

Where World of Warcraft isn't so heavily dependent on the CPU as it used to be, you should be seeing better results from your current set-up.

I personally would continue saving and begin with the CPU/MB. If you're getting itchy to pull the trigger on some type of upgrade before WoD, spend the $350 you have now and just hop into a new CPU/MB. You will get more of a benefit with a new CPU/MB and using the existing GPU, rather than adding a GTX970 onto the CPU/MB you currently have.

There are more tech savvy individuals here than I. I am sure some of them will be able to get you a more definitive answer then, its early in the AM, I am just getting ready for work.

On a side note, hows the recruitment going? I don't seem to see Lycan on too much now a days.
    Excellence, completed by Shyama!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would definitely take the plunge on the GPU and PSU. While your current CPU isn't great, especially for raiding, it's adequate at least. That GPU is ancient, and more than likely holding you back.

Yeah. My brother built this system for me about 6 years ago, so it's way past time for a new one. I will be building a new one myself eventually, but I'm mostly wondering if my current CPU can handle a cutting-edge GPU or if it will be throttled. I had hoped to have enough money to do a complete build before WoD, but since that's not going to happen, I'm trying to bandage my system the best I can in the meantime (while selecting parts that I plan to use in the new build anyway).

I have about $500 to spend right now (about half of what I plan to spend on the new system as a whole). I have my parts already picked out; I'm just not sure what is worth putting into my current system right now, or if I should just wait until I can build the whole thing.

Papi: Recruitment is actually closed for WoD (for now, at least). We've got a solid Mythic roster at the moment. Lycan's been on quite a bit lately; he's almost always online whenever I log on.
    Last edited by merlin2oo2; 2014-10-26 at 12:57 AM.
    Nameless hunter pets make me rage. You have been warned.

Marxman is giving you more accurate information. I did misinterpret the information I was finding.
    Excellence, completed by Shyama!