Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why do casters sheath their weapons?

Hey guys,

It has always bothered me seeing casters unsheathe their weapons when they are casting.
    Wouldn't it be cooler to see casting animations while they have their weapons at hand?
    I feel this is something blizzard should have adjusted while they were doing remodels, is it too hard to do?

It would be kinda cool to have the weapon manipulating the spell before it was released
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I liked the way Rift had their casters using weapons during combat. It would be nice to see, but not if it would mess up how fluid combat is (like in Swtor how animations messed up combat during channels).
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Deleted
    My undead warlock had a bug where he wore his sword and off-hand while casting. Now I'm sad because I saw what it looked like and will never see it again Maybe one day...

Perhaps we should legitimately ask blizzard about adding this ?

Deleted
    Because the weapons weren't designed to be used in combat. In order for it to work and look good they would have to remodel and redesign every single caster weapon in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Because the weapons weren't designed to be used in combat. In order for it to work and look good they would have to remodel and redesign every single caster weapon in the game.
    yes, that makes sense but with all these upgrades i think it would have been cool if they had done so

Why? They're not being used in physical combat, make new casting animations that use the sword or staff to conjure the spell. It'd be some work but no more than they've done for the character remodels.

Shooting spells through your sword/dagger would look a bit ridiculous. not so much with a staff/wand/offhand though. And you don't need new animations really, just disable auto sheathing. It won't look perfect, but hey.

i always thought we should use our weapons. I mean, they give us all that spellpower, they are obviously a point of focus where you empower your spells.

Go to the bathroom and pull your panties up with one hand. That is why you sheath your weapon.

Blizzard is too lazy to change casting animations. We're stuck with stat sticks while we waver our ominous looking hands in the air.

10+ Year Old Account
    No they don't. They'd need to make fitting animations for each type of caster weapon and do so for each race. Hell they could even make just one casting animation including all weapons. Sure it would take some time, but not nearly as time consuming as you make it out to be.

Another point would be that people will moan about not casting with their hands anymore.

i don't even care about the animation they can keep the same animations i want my weapon equipped

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ponies View Post
    Why do casters sheath their weapons?
    It's not safe to run with sharp objects.

It has always bothered me seeing casters unsheathe their weapons when they are casting.
    You mean sheathe their weapons? Because otherwise your title makes no sense. But ok.

Wouldn't it be cooler to see casting animations while they have their weapons at hand?
    No.

I feel this is something blizzard should have adjusted while they were doing remodels
    Ok.

is it too hard to do?
    It's not, since it's a frequent bug to have your weapon stuck in your hand, and it looks ridiculous. Not everything needs to look like LotR.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill

Dragon age 2 staffs enough said
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    Dragon age 2 staffs enough said
    elder scrolls staffs. using them like spell rocket launchers is pretty badass

The reason they do I believe is because some people prefer casting with hands and some prefer casting with weapons. Wouldn't surprise me if when WoW was in its earlier days the devs just picked one.

Now though the option to do so would be great.

I think atm though they are concentrating on other vanity enhancements like those class-specific accessories like quivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Deleted
    Blizzard should make caster animations where we use our weapons. It would make casters that much more bad ass.

Guild Wars 2 has it too for the Mesmer class for example which is my favorite class in the game because you can be a bad ass that shoots spells from a sword or what have you. Imagine a ele shaman being able to shoot his lightning spells from his weapon like Marvel's Thor.

Of course all of these new animations for every class would cost at least 10 raid tiers and as we know Blizzard is also too damn cheap to hire more people so stuff like this will never happen. They can't even get walking animations right for some of the races so how will they ever be able to make elaborate weapon casting animations?

Btw: Hello mmo-champion community, i'm new here.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is a good idea. They could continuously point their staff at the enemy while channeling, hold the staff back then point forward on release for timed casts, and lift the staff up in the air for instant casts.

It would make casting feel much cooler imo.

Deleted
    From a lore perspective, what purpose does weaponry even serve to a caster? Is it still just a stat-stick to them? Just curious, really.