10+ Year Old Account

What was the biggest mistake in the Halloween movie series.

Now Im not talking about the remakes or the last 2 movies in series. From what I understand the original idea for the series was to make a different movie every Halloween. My question is do you think their mistake was making a sequel to the first movie, making the 3rd movie different or going back to the first story for the 4th movie? For me, I feel they still could have tried to do a different story after the 3rd movie and going back was their mistake for the series. Do you feel they should have just stayed with the Micheal Meyers story or could they have kept the different movie each Halloween even though they made a sequel to the first movie?

Once they kept on with the same movie with H2, they should have just did that. H3 was terrible, as a Halloween fan, but might've been tolerable otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like with many horror franchises, continuing it when the first film was great. Halloween was an awesome film, and I always love that iconic theme that came from it. They didn't really need to continue the story because it just became the same old crap after that: A vague semblance of a plot, Myers tries to kill relative, kills people in varying ways.
    I hate how many horror film series just drag on when there have been some clear conclusions. Take Saw III-that had some conclusive plot threads right there, and there had to be 4 more films after that! I know that many horror films are cheap to produce nowadays, but just because it was profitable doesn't mean tired stories have to be brought back out time and time again. Horror is a genre that needs more creativity and less periods of nothing-nothing-nothing-BANG!
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Exerus View Post
    Now Im not talking about the remakes or the last 2 movies in series. From what I understand the original idea for the series was to make a different movie every Halloween. My question is do you think their mistake was making a sequel to the first movie, making the 3rd movie different or going back to the first story for the 4th movie? For me, I feel they still could have tried to do a different story after the 3rd movie and going back was their mistake for the series. Do you feel they should have just stayed with the Micheal Meyers story or could they have kept the different movie each Halloween even though they made a sequel to the first movie?
    I was gonna say part 6 was the worst mistake in the series(and as god awful as it was, also one of the worst mistakes in horror movies, ever), but since you ruled that out...then the release of Halloween 2. That movie essentially established Myers as a "franchise" villain, which in turn killed the original Halloween "concept" of being a series of standalone stories. With Myers appearing in 2, people expected him to be a part of the series from then on out, and so him not being in the third one condemned that movie(and thus also the idea of Halloween as a series of standalone horror movies) to failure, and so instead of getting a series of possibly good and/or original horror movies, we got another generic slasher series(leading up to the creation of Halloween 6, one of the worst horror movies in history).

Aside from killing the original concept for the Halloween movies, with 2, much of the suspense and atmosphere of the first movie has been thrown aside in favor of gorier, Friday the 13th style deaths and cheap jump scares, with little concern for logic(has anyone EVER seen an operational hospital as dark or as empty as the one in this movie?). It also retroactively ruins the surprise ending of the first movie, since anyone who sees it now KNOWS Myers came back in 4 sequels, and so won't be surprised when Loomis looks out the window and finds the body gone.

Creating them.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

I liked the 3rd movie. I think the addition of the "Thorn Curse" was the biggest mistake they could have made, other than casting Busta Rhymes. Honestly, the Halloween series is at it's best when it's about a kid who, for no apparent reason, just snaps; this is my chief complaint about the Rob Zombie remake as well, other than Zombie's penchant for making everything about white trash/rednecks.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    they should have stopped at the first two i think. it wrapped up fairly well. but the 70s and 80s had the slasher craze that everyone liked. it begged the industry to pump out sequel after sequel. the same way the industry right now is begging for remakes and reboots of classic series/movies.

from what i know, season of the witch(3rd) was the original pilot idea for the halloween franchise but was scrapped took a total turn with the mike myers story. after the success of the first they then wanted to make it so each Halloween movie was its own story, but the market wanted a sequel so bad it caved. then they went to the oringal idea for the 3rd and people said (wtf). so knowing the success of mike was still good they reverted back to the mike myers story.

edit - reading other posts Stormcall pretty much said the same thing i did.
    Last edited by DiscoGhost; 2014-10-28 at 01:46 AM.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.