Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Do you mean college college or university? I don't understand the difference. In the UK we seem to refer to 16-18 as like, well, you go to "6th form colleges" but 18+ is university but don't americans just have like.. school, highschool, higherschool or something, and then college = university?
    In the US it goes Elementary k-5, Middle school 6-8, and high school is 9-12. College is a generic term for higher than that. Some areas they have a junior high instead of middle school where it is 6-9 and high school is only 3 years but not much anymore.

I went to college twice once to have a good time and once to get my actual degree. First time was amazing still have friends from those days but I barely went to classes. Now my second time at it I was on overage 14 years older than everyone else and I mean that is hard to get past but the school part was a lot easier this time. For the most part classes are easy if you go and pay attention. Sure some of my programming classes had me working 50+ hours a week on homework but I got through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    So it's like... university lite?
    basically yes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I have numbed the feeling off stress at uni with copious quantities of alcohol.

It's going pretty well.
    We should study together.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    From how OP describes it it looks like a stricter high school where you learn every possible subject?

No idea if that's right.

Anyway in my country you finish high school at 18-19 of age and if you go to any higher education after, like university or technical studies or medical studies, or whatever it's specialized in something and not "I had a class of maths and history and this and that". That sounds like high school to me.
    The OP is using "college" interchangeably with "university." He attends Florida State University which has 44,000 students and is ranked as the 95th best university in the U.S. Community college in the U.S. is a form of higher education in the U.S. after high school which is usually just cheaper and offers specialized trades like welding if you want to do that. You can transfer from a community college to a university if you want to save money.

Honestly OP, you should change your post. You are confusing non-Americans.

Chelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeriedk View Post
    What is College?

Now its your turn.
    University for me = "Personal Responsibility". I have two ~4h classes a week and this huge amount of free time is driving me nuts.

Deleted
    I cried when I had to leave the books of the library.

Like a little fucking bitch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    University for me = "Personal Responsibility". I have two ~4h classes a week and this huge amount of free time is driving me nuts.
    I have 9-6 every monday. I have more on a monday than you have in a week.

God damn.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    We should study together.
    Bring your own beer and sure. I study chemistry. Good luck.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

sorry but i couldnt be bothered reading all that thing...

well for me college in simple words is just a Bshit...

It trains you on how to react on formal aspects of life, but other than that well you'd be better of getting working experience on the field that you want.

Now Masters is different depending on the Uni and PHD ... well its like working anyways. So ye college wont give you anything other than basic knowledge of formality and maybe your field.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    University is nice. I like the fact that (over here at least) they grade you based on your exam results and essay/lab reports rather than attendance. I like studying the subjects alone and not sit on the lectures. I also like the fact that the subjects are not so broad anymore, but you can go really deep into the subjects you are interested in. Plus here I sometimes feel like I'm actually contributing to something when working with my departments on researches and stuff.
    I got 1:1s in module I never once attended.

I fucking loved it. Philosophy of Education lectures? I've got BOOKS MOTHERFUCKER!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tratra View Post
    sorry but i couldnt be bothered reading all that thing...

well for me college in simple words is just a Bshit...

It trains you on how to react on formal aspects of life, but other than that well you'd be better of getting working experience on the field that you want.

Now Masters is different depending on the Uni and PHD ... well its like working anyways. So ye college wont give you anything other than basic knowledge of formality and maybe your field.
    All my wuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    College was fun, in some ways more fun than high school, in some ways less than high school. But being an adult with a smoking hot wife, no kids, and a combined income of around 175k a year blows them both out of the water.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    College was fun, in some ways more fun than high school, in some ways less than high school. But being an adult with a smoking hot wife, no kids, and a combined income of around 175k a year blows them both out of the water.
    Don't forget your sick Lambo.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    College was a 2 year waste of facepalming at fellow moronic uninteresting students
    Yeah, pretty much. All throughout high school and now into my senior year of college, I've been surrounded by idiotic "dudebro"-esque males.

In general though, college has been pretty easy. My mother was all like "OMG COLLEGE IS SO HARD, NO PLAYING, ALL STUDYING ALL THE TIME" but I've found it to be overall not too hard or stressful. Currently sitting at a 2.9 GPA or so, hoping to hit a 3 by the time I graduate in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    University is nice. I like the fact that (over here at least) they grade you based on your exam results and essay/lab reports rather than attendance. I like studying the subjects alone and not sit on the lectures. I also like the fact that the subjects are not so broad anymore, but you can go really deep into the subjects you are interested in. Plus here I sometimes feel like I'm actually contributing to something when working with my departments on researches and stuff.
    Yeesh, what college do you go to? At mine, every single class has a "no attend = fail" policy. Anywhere between 3 and 6 unexcused absences (depends on the class) will either drop your grade by a letter, or just fail you immediately.

Not that I mind, really. Paying all this money to come here; not going to skip class for no reason.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2014-10-28 at 05:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. All throughout high school and now into my senior year of college, I've been surrounded by idiotic "dudebro"-esque males.

In general though, college has been pretty easy. My mother was all like "OMG COLLEGE IS SO HARD, NO PLAYING, ALL STUDYING ALL THE TIME" but I've found it to be overall not too hard or stressful. Currently sitting at a 2.9 GPA or so, hoping to hit a 3 by the time I graduate in the spring.
    Isn't 3 just plain mediocre?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's a place to broaden your horizons. Meet new people and make life-long friends.
    Last edited by cubby; 2014-10-28 at 05:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Don't forget your sick Lambo.
    I drive a 5 year old Mazda 6

- - - Updated - - -

It is. But really unless you graduate summa cum laude or something, employers don't care about your GPA in college.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Not everyone can be a straight-A student. (especially when you're forced to take fucking calculus classes that have nothing to do with your major)

3.0 is a B average.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2014-10-28 at 05:18 PM.

Deleted
    I drive a 5 year old Mazda 6

- - - Updated - - -

It is. But really unless you graduate summa cum laude or something, employers don't care about your GPA in college.
    Last I checked summa cum laude isn't actually a set distinction at all, but rather is set arbitrarily by the awarding institution.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Ehhhh...

The harder fields, like engineering have internships that actually pay but since a lot of people want to be in the hot internships like Boeing they cut off people below a 3.0 GPA to filter out all the applications.

So GPAs can land you a better paid internship but if you're doing a PhD in gay and transgendered studies you're probably working for free anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Ehhhh...

The harder fields, like engineering have internships that actually pay but since a lot of people want to be in the hot internships like Boeing they cut off people below a 3.0 GPA to filter out all the applications.

So GPAs can land you a better paid internship but if you're doing a PhD in gay and transgendered studies you're probably working for free anyway.