Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    All good. Yeah, it's not 1:1 wage to price because wages aren't the entire expense. For me, specifically, I have food cost, property, utilities, equipment...
    I know, glad to have someone with more first hand knowledge then me. I have helped run my own business with a friend, but it was always a 2 man job so couldn't really apply it here, but the 60 hour weeks did suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I wonder how much a basic burget at Burger King in Denmark costs? No cheese, single patty. It's less than a $1 here. I don't think I would go to Burger King if it wasn't cheap.

living-wages-served-in-denmark-fast-food-restaurants.html?_r=0

COPENHAGEN — On a recent afternoon, Hampus Elofsson ended his 40-hour workweek at a Burger King and prepared for a movie and beer with friends. He had paid his rent and all his bills, stashed away some savings, yet still had money for nights out.

That is because he earns the equivalent of $20 an hour — the base wage for fast-food workers throughout Denmark and two and a half times what many fast-food workers earn in the United States.

“You can make a decent living here working in fast food,” said Mr. Elofsson, 24. “You don’t have to struggle to get by.”
    In Australia it's the same, I'm 24 and could get $23-24 at mcdonalds or other fast food places.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Beign a Dane in a high paid job (IT) I can safely say that our Country in many aspects are great, but it has its downsides too. We have taxes on literally everything you can think of. We have taxes on water, gas, petrol, ice cream, nuts, fats, sugar, lettuce, bottles, glas you name it, and there probably is a tax on it. A car in denmark, and I am talking about the tiniest of models (no accesories) costs about 13-14k USD. If you want to buy a good car like for instance a bmw again of the lowest possible selection youd end up paying 66k plus USD. Also our VAT which is on everything you purchase is 25%.
    Lets take another example ambercombe & fitch t-shirts will set you back 51USD not to mention jeans from levis is around 86USD on sale. Costs of renting a place is also pretty high a 50-70 (2 room apartment) square meters is gonna net you from 775USD per month and upwards

Back to the US. Should the minimum wages get a bump ? hell yeah they should in my book. Big coorporations stacking up billions in profitsm while neglecting the ones who earn them that money should be ashamed. Come to think of it, if the lower classes gets more money they can buy more things = corporations get some of the money back. The problem in US is the extreme capitalism they have, where the ones with wealth gets richer and richer by the year while the rest is left in the dirt. There should be a maximum on how wealthy you can get, cause there comes a time when no matter how many houses & cars you own that none of it will matter any more. But you could do some good by raising the living standards of others instead.
    Last edited by Fathr; 2014-10-29 at 12:33 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why does it matter? If the owners of the store there can pay their workers a good wage and still be profitable than that is a good thing. But best to keep in mind some prices are relative. The cost of living here in the US can vary a great deal from state to state and also from cities to cities. Same for cost of goods.

I once had a job offer in California when I still lived here in Ohio as I do now. It was tempting because it was like a 30% raise. But then after some research, I discovered it was not near as large raise as I thought. The cost of housing in that area I was to work at...was much higher than here. Like 50% higher. And the overall cost of goods were higher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fathr View Post
    Costs of renting a place is also pretty high a 50-70 (2 room apartment) square meters is gonna net you from 775USD per month and upwards
    "2 room apartment" means a single bedroom and another room of everything else, right?

Around here, you'd be looking at 900+ for such an apartment not in the crime-y part of town.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fathr View Post
    Back to the US. Should the minimum wages get a bump ? hell yeah they should in my book. Big coorporations stacking up billions in profitsm while neglecting the ones who earn them that money should be ashamed. Come to think of it, if the lower classes gets more money they can buy more things = corporations get some of the money back. The problem is US is the extreme capitalism they have, where the ones with wealth gets richer and richer by the year while the rest is left in the dirt. There should be a maximum on how wealthy you can get, cause there comes a time when no matter how many houses & cars you own that none of it will matter any more.
    That is how a free democratic society works. There are no limits on how well you can prosper, or should there be. Does the min wage need to be raised? Of course and I do support what the President proposed which was 10.10 a hour. However, some states may need more than that. And like we do in Ohio, the min wage here is increased each year based on the inflation index. Which was voted into law a few years back. I also support higher taxes on the rich. But in no way would I ever want to tell a person this is the max you can earn dude, no matter what.

Isn't Denmark an expensive country to live in?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Denmark is amongst the most expensive countries in the world to live in coming from a Dane

Romania says Hi.

1,5 $/h is the average fee around here.don't know in fast foods, but 2$/h tops imo. starting a work in the continental factory for example ( which pays higher than loca/private companies) you start with 2-3$/h and work yourself up as the years pass by to 5-6$/h.
    executive directors get around 10$+ /h at big companies.
    so...still wanna qq about payments?
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    MMO champion has the weirdest fucking threads of any board ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That is how a free democratic society works. There are no limits on how well you can prosper, or should there be. Does the min wage need to be raised? Of course and I do support what the President proposed which was 10.10 a hour. However, some states may need more than that. And like we do in Ohio, the min wage here is increased each year based on the inflation index. Which was voted into law a few years back. I also support higher taxes on the rich. But in no way would I ever want to tell a person this is the max you can earn dude, no matter what.
    There should be no limits on how well you do, but there should be limits on how much you depress your workers to do it. I honestly think they need to institute a ratio between what the top can make relative to what the lowest man in the company makes. If you average employee makes less than $14,000 per year, there is no way in holy fucking hell the CEO should be making 35 million plus benefits or the owners making 2.2 BILLION. Looking at Walmart on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Icemix View Post
    so...still wanna qq about payments?
    How much is an apartment, how much do you pay in utilities, healthcare, transportation?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Yes. That said, the minimum wage is still sufficient (combined with government health care and other aid) for every working Dane to have a very nice living standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Is $20 8 euro?
    Yeah, math is really really really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    How much is an apartment, how much do you pay in utilities, healthcare, transportation?
    The problem with a question like (specifically the apartment part) that is that the answers can vary massively, and getting a true like for like comparison is pretty much impossible.

Ultimately this whole thread is pretty pointless, yes the typical wage is higher than a like for like job is the US, however the cost of living is far higher, with much higher cost for pretty much everything plus very high taxation rates.

Deleted
    As a Dane I can almost certainly tell that guy havent got an avarage danish name.

OT: Yes minimum wage in Denmark for people above the age of 18 is pretty high and its a great thing. 1 basic burger would cost around 2 dollars. But what the articel isnt saying is that Denmark (despite having low income as you do when you get minimum wage) have some of the highest taxes in the world.

Denmark is also one of the "best" countries to live in when it comes to social aids. For god sake we have been electedthe most happy country in the world several years in a row now.
    Last edited by mmoc1c0a963c28; 2014-10-29 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavinath View Post
    As a Dane I can almost certainly tell that guy havent got an avarage danish name.

OT: Yes minimum wage in Denmark for people above the age of 18 is pretty high and its a great thing. 1 basic burger would cost around 2 dollars. But what the articel isnt saying is that Denmark (despite having low income as you do when you get minimum wage) have some of the highest taxes in the world.

Denmark is also one of the "best" countries to live in when it comes to social aids. For god sake we have been electedthe most happy country in the world several years in a row now.
    We are http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/20/tr...ries-to-visit/ though I personally would swap for Schwitzerland in a heart beat if I could (Due to their much lower taxes and equal social services etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    The only problem with denmark is, it is freaking hard finding a job even flipping burgers.
    Which is why I am a student at least that pays better than being jobless.

also to answer your question.

A proper system that has min wage that makes people able to live comfortable as long they are not idiots and take loans everywhere.
    hard? it's not hard where i live at least.
    i pretty much got thrown a job in the face the moment i turned 16 at the washinstation at a restaurant, earning 11USD/hr, got promoted to chefs assistant at 17 and earned 25USD/hr. my workhours varied, but it would typically be 40-50hrs/month or so (sometimes more, i logged 30-36hrs worktime in single weekends friday-sunday during certain seasons).
    i had no expenses other than my cellphone as i lived home at that given time and studied (and as a student, living home i got 240usd from the state) so aprox. 1130USD/month -> 13500USD/year as a 17 year old student, i could probably have earned more if i didn't have school to take care of.
    so to sum up; at a age of 17, working part time, i earn the ''small'' sum of 1860USD less than someone who works fulltime (40hrs week, 4 weeks a month, 12 months/year) in the US at mcdonalds.

on top of that free health care and education.

i had the job all the way through highschool and quit when i had to move for my education

so all in all, i earned almost the same at 17 compared to someone whos 25 and flips burgers in the US.

at the current given moment, i'm getting paid 2140usd/month as an apprentice (arborist).

i honestly can't see why they have to be so darn greedy and yell communism every time the slightest wellfare are suggested is the US.
    Last edited by freezion; 2014-10-29 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavinath View Post
    For god sake we have been electedthe most happy country in the world several years in a row now.
    Well maybe it's all the anti-depressants that help. Denmark is second behind Iceland in consumption of them.

fast food workers earn much more on more advanced countries because everyone has graduation and no one wants to do manual work, not the same in the US neither in my country

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    With that 20 dollars an hour, you can buy 4 - 5 big macs.

With 8 dollars per hour, you can buy 7 big macs.

Seems the danish have a lot less buying power.
    Where can I get 7 big macs for 8 bucks? I wanna go there...
    With 8 bucks I get 2 big macs.. And if I wanna go for a big mac meal, I can get one... It's 5.80 here before taxes in Omaha, NE.
    And Omaha, Nebraska in general, is one of the cheapest regions of the country.
    I've done - relevant to the thread, a comparison of costs of living between Omaha, NE, and Aarhus, Denmark.

This is what I got:
    http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-li...n/omaha/aarhus

Aarhus is 50% more expensive than Omaha.....
    But this is all relative to be seen...
    An average McD worker makes some 8 bucks an hour.. means with literal translation you could say, the Aarhus employee should get 12 bucks to be on par with the Omaha worker. Yeah, well that's not how we can count, since the Danes happen to have some of the highest taxes in Europe.
    Means, the guy in Omaha is better off on that end too, since he lives in a tax paradise, compared to Denmark? Well that isn't the case either, since for the Danes all their social benefits are baked into their taxes, and they'll never have to come up with excruciating expenses for emergencies caused by health conditions etc., they don't suffer pay loss when sick and such things.. They're much better covered and protected from hardship that can ruin their fellow Omaha coworkers life forever.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."