What is the best strategy to get into a guild at this point?

I haven't played WoW much since WOTLK. Back in WOTLK I was a fairly hardcore raider, and cleared heroic content while it was still relevant. I dabbled a bit in cata and MOP, but nothing to extensive. I want to hop back into the game now, but I have no recent experience and no character geared up enough to prove myself to any worth while guild in SoO. I'm thinking I should just wait for WoD to drop then rush myself to 100 and gear up as fast as possible to hopefully pug in order to get myself some relevant experience. How would you suggest someone who is fairly new to the raiding scene, but wants to raid Mythic go about getting their foot in the door? Thank you.

The way I see it is it's either:

A) Who you know
    B) What you know

With the latter being a longer, drawn out route. If you don't have any contacts that can get you a sneaky HC clear or whatever to convince a guild to let you join, you'll have to work your way up. Join a HC guild > clear with them > join an average mythic guild > do half the raid with them > join a top mythic guild > ???. That's if you're actually good though which is the deciding factor.

I also wouldn't bother saying you used to be a hardcore raider, I read a lot of apps and to be frank; apparently every single person that ever played World of Warcraft at some point since release and now used to be a hardcore raider but then went casual/quit, it doesn't give any merits.

Good luck!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    I also wouldn't bother saying you used to be a hardcore raider, I read a lot of apps and to be frank; apparently every single person that ever played World of Warcraft at some point since release and now used to be a hardcore raider but then went casual/quit, it doesn't give any merits.
    Also there's the fact that Vanilla hardcore raiding was easier than Mists LFR raiding, no exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Also there's the fact that Vanilla hardcore raiding was easier than Mists LFR raiding, no exaggeration.
    Started in TBC, didn't get to witness this (though I've heard stories!).

That and the varying opinion on what defines a 'Hardcore Raider'. Take OP:

Quote Originally Posted by Johnx014 View Post
    Back in WOTLK I was a fairly hardcore raider, and cleared heroic content while it was still relevant.
    If he means during the 30% nerf, then me and the OP have wildly differing opinions on what qualifies a 'hardcore raider'.

If he means during the 30% nerf, then me and the OP have wildly differing opinions on what qualifies a 'hardcore raider'.

When I say relevant heroic content, I mean that the majority of bosses were cleared prior to nerfs.
    Last edited by Johnx014; 2014-10-30 at 09:24 PM.

The good news is, the beginning of the expansion is the best/easiest time to get a fresh start with a new guild. But Anzen has pretty much the right idea, knowing people that can give you a good word goes along ways; I've gotten a trial and a raid spot before without the application process just on the word of a former guildy within said guild on more than one occasion. References are very helpful.

Anyways, I've found that nearly any decent guild will take a good look at someone who is clearly knowledgeable about their class and passionate for raiding. You can certainly mention heroic content in Wrath, but that's really not enough; those logs are long gone and every spec has changed quite a bit since regardless. It's really not evidence you were a good raider on it's own; as a 25 man raid leader in Wrath, I can tell you we had plenty of people that got those heroic achievements that didn't carry their weight.

The best thing you can do is just fill out an application for the guild and do it well. Or, if you know some people in guilds you are interested in that may be able to speak on your behalf, talk to them, even if they aren't a high rank in the guild.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2014-10-31 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnx014 View Post
    When I say relevant heroic content, I mean that the majority of bosses were cleared prior to nerfs.
    Not sure what it was about this comment, but for some reason I just had a hard time believing it - so for *no good reason* I decided to fact check you a little bit - as Anzen said earlier in the thread, you don't need to quantify having been a former 'hardcore' raider - especially when it seemingly consists of one tier :P

Now, my memory may not serve me correctly, but I'm fairly confident that Paragon killed H: Lich King with the buff at 5% - that was on March 26th. From what I can gather, you cleared the endwing bosses much, *much* later than that. Not sure what it is about ICC content, but people love to claim they cleared a lot of it without buffs. Most of them, including you (and me!), did not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    I think your statement leaves me questioning if you ever raided at ALL in Vanilla.

@ op - Demonstrate that you can play your class.

If you are a DPS, show logs and reasoning about your class/your approach to playing.

If you are a healer, logs are a good idea as well.

If you are a tank ; No clue.

But overall - I think that it has a lot to do with how you present yourself and what you can bring to the table.

Just don't be bad and be a socially agreeable person - And people will give you a chance. Not saying that you are bad or social inept - Simply stating.

Best of luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Always provide logs, no matter which role you apply as. Logs are as important if you apply as tank as well. simply cause the raid lead/recruitment team can see how you play your class (more or less by the CDs usage and survivability).

Second to logs is the way you manage to present yourself to a guild via the application - whether it's a forum post/form or live chat over voice. Majority will decide on the info you provide are you suitable for their guild or not. If you tight lipped and are not putting much effort into your application, then you most probably could be lazy enough to slack on raids as well and you will have less chance of being accepted to a guild. More info, longer answers to various questions (not speaking of 1000 word esseys here :P )

I would say that best way to get into a guild now is to choose a guild who is looking for the class/role you play. Might take several applies though. Get into ariding with them. If you crow tired of their lack of progression/company it is much easier to apply to new one later on if you have some progression or raiding history to show. Guild jumping is not for everyone, but most of the time is the only way to get into the guild you like.

As others have said, it's unlikely that a top guild will recruit you right away.
    You probably have to go for an in-between guild that is able to clear like 50% of Mythic, and from there jump to a better guild.