Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account

Smile Which talents Did You Choose?

Since this new patch, my damage just sucks. My ilvl 550 ele shaman does the same damag as my 575 Spriest. So I was just wondering if one of my reasons could be my talent choices. My talents are as follows

-Desperate Prayer
    -Body and Soul
    -Insanity
    -Void Tendrils
    -Twist of fate
    -Halo

Also, I have only been playing WoW for about 2 years. I appreciate it if your advice is kept a little simple. Thanks!

Power Infusion and Mindbender since Mindbender benefits from haste now.

For short encounters, PI/MB is fairly potent. With the recent buff to mastery, you might see slightly more damage using SI. ToF is worth spec'ing on any encounter where you can game more than 50-60% uptime. Insanity at level 90 just feels weird since we can't bank 5 orbs to get to full channel durations off, imo MB and FDCL are both better talents atm.

Realistically, however, if you're playing your Priest to do big dick damage at 90, you're just gonna have a bad time. The whole spec is balanced around level 100 and the perks we get on the way there.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    thanks for yall's answers. will change my talents up!

That being said, PI + MB (+reflective shield glyph) is hilariously fun in PvP and is pretty decent in PvE. At the moment, everything is on complete farm, so encounters will be short, and usually pop hero on the pull, making PI+MB even stronger.
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

Deleted
    Tof and insanity since bosses die in less than a minute

Quote Originally Posted by Tycheh View Post
    Tof and insanity since bosses die in less than a minute
    How would ToF and Insanity favor short fights in any way? They're both about consistent damage. Execute phases are shorter than ever making ToF a very narrow window, and shorter fights means less adds means less ToF padding. Insanity is better the more uses of it you get, so shorter fights means less insanity means less dps. Meanwhile, PI and Mindbender are both cooldowns, providing burst, which favors short fights, and especially since you'll be popping heroism on the pull along with PI and Mindbender. Mindbender seems to do significantly more dps than shadowfiend for some reason, but it probably should anyway.
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atonement View Post
    How would ToF and Insanity favor short fights in any way? They're both about consistent damage. Execute phases are shorter than ever making ToF a very narrow window, and shorter fights means less adds means less ToF padding. Insanity is better the more uses of it you get, so shorter fights means less insanity means less dps. Meanwhile, PI and Mindbender are both cooldowns, providing burst, which favors short fights, and especially since you'll be popping heroism on the pull along with PI and Mindbender. Mindbender seems to do significantly more dps than shadowfiend for some reason, but it probably should anyway.

This explantion makes a lot of sense to me. thank you for this post!

ToF is still slightly better on Imm, Norushen, Sha, Gala, Shamans, Spoils and Garrosh since you can game a high uptime even if the kill is very fast. (Protectors, Malk and maybe Thok, too, but it really depends on how fast you kill it.) Insanity without the ability to bank 5 orbs is a waste, though.

Insanity is better the more uses of it you get, so shorter fights means less insanity means less dps. Meanwhile, PI and Mindbender are both cooldowns, providing burst, which favors short fights, and especially since you'll be popping heroism on the pull along with PI and Mindbender. Mindbender seems to do significantly more dps than shadowfiend for some reason, but it probably should anyway.
    Insanity isn't completely out of question in really short fights though. On top 20 Siegecrafter logs (all ~30sec fights), there are 10 Mindbenders, 9 Insanity, 1 Surge of Darkness with 18 PI, 1 ToF, 1 SI. On top 20 Juggernaut logs (1:30-2:00), 7 Mindbenders, 11 Insanity, 2 Surge of Darkness (although more MB in top 10 than Insanity) with 12 PI, 4 ToF, 4 SI. The difference between talents seems closer than one would expect.

Why would you use mindbender on a fight that is 30 seconds? Mindbender does slightly more damage than a shadowfiend cast. The strength of mindbender is in multiple casts, especially if you can get a 2 minute 30 seconds fight with it (3 cast, 2 lined up with PI).

Either of the other talents would absolutely destroy it in any fight <1 minute. Just because the top 20 SC logs have mindbenders for some odd reason, doesn't change that fact at all.

Though for 30 second fights, the top logs are more reliant on trinket and crit RNG over anything else.

PI effects MB. Insanity is still a garbage talent without the ability to store more Orbs. FDCL is okay and might even be better than MB, but I personally hate pressing more buttons than necessary.

But more than anything, arguing talent choices on 30 second encounters is irrelevant. When you can have 100% trinket uptime or have ridiculous Crit RNG, it's not like any of it is relevant.

e: clarifying my opinion.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2014-11-02 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnrage View Post
    Though for 30 second fights, the top logs are more reliant on trinket and crit RNG over anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    But more than anything, arguing talent choices on 30 second encounters is irrelevant. When you can have 100% trinket uptime or have ridiculous Crit RNG, it's not like any of it is relevant.
    It's not like there are unlucky logs in top 20 though, they all have good procs and crit RNG. Siegecrafter aside, outliners for each talent are close to each other in other ~2min fights too. On Protectors (mostly 2-3min fights), SoD is the obvious choice but there are 4 Mindbenders and 2 Insanity. Same with Shamans (mostly 2-3 fights); 5 Mindbenders and 5 Insanity. I'd say talent choice in whole SoO is mostly irrelevant (and that's not exactly a surprise).

Deleted
    Actually short fights with PI/3orbs on pull make us look much better at lvl 90 atm that we would otherwise, since we are heavly balanced around Level 100 talents + perks. Both CoP and AS are huge playstyle/gear changers not to talk about 5 orbs + swd x2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bphelps12 View Post
    Since this new patch, my damage just sucks. My ilvl 550 ele shaman does the same damag as my 575 Spriest. So I was just wondering if one of my reasons could be my talent choices. My talents are as follows

-Desperate Prayer
    -Body and Soul
    -Insanity
    -Void Tendrils
    -Twist of fate
    -Halo

Also, I have only been playing WoW for about 2 years. I appreciate it if your advice is kept a little simple. Thanks!
    I've been using the following:

Spectral Guise | Angelic Feather | Surge of Darkness | Psychic Scream | Shadowy Insight | Halo

I use Twist of Fate when you can get the perm proc on fights like Norushen.

Quote Originally Posted by bphelps12 View Post
    Since this new patch, my damage just sucks. My ilvl 550 ele shaman does the same damag as my 575 Spriest.
    To be fair, Ele mastery is stupid right now, my GM is like 588 on his Ele and has like 250% Mastery or something and it's doing like 60% of his damage.

I have the same dps choice talents that you chose and I usually do really well. At 575, a 578 Ele Shaman and I kept competing with each other and on some he was just edging me out and others I was just edging him out. Though I'm not sure if he kept up with level 90 stat optimization, as I was raiding with a buddies Mythic guild.

I really enjoy Insanity, ToF, and Halo. Unless there's a substantial increase by switching, I'll probably stay as those for awhile.

Current proc rates make me sad, so I stick to bender/insanity, ToF and Halo. I only use PI for Siegecrafter because I'm shameless.

Which reminded me of my horde group's RL, who used to tell us "Ok, shameless padding time is over, take off those cleave trinkets" for Paragons.

I'm stuck with PI and MB for the rest of this expansion and possibly into level 100.

...for...um...reasons...that...you know...like...yeah, I don't know, but I don't have any WCL ranks any more. :c

Slightly off-topic but talent related, is anyone else never seeing the Cascade talent bounce off after hitting it's first target? Is there something I'm missing here?