Thread: Raids and GW2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I think people would be unlikely to replay raid zones over and over to the degree they must play in many 2nd era MMOs. Usually the "gear chase" is tied to repetition of a raid instance in a 2nd era MMORPG.

Though if one could play the content perhaps once or twice to get all the story & content out of an instance I think many would be okay with raiding for it's own sake or simply minion rewards.

That heavy repetition of 2nd era raiding or the obscene time investment of 1st era raiding is major source of negativity. The cooperation angle in which one's success is so strongly tied to others is less so in GW2 than limited linear class based gameplay systems. Everyone is a self sufficient machine in Guild Wars 2. The nature of the combat does not lend itself to "LF Tank" or "healer drama!" and other such woes of getting 10 or 20 folks together.

I think it will be mostly okay.

Heck, I don't even know what the rewards are for the open world raids in GW2 now. I did them, just to do them, and there seemed to be a lot of other random people there too just for the heck of it. Not necessarily for the limited edition mini pet, new backpack skin or whatever other useless shit the game throws at you constantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Heck, I don't even know what the rewards are for the open world raids in GW2 now. I did them, just to do them, and there seemed to be a lot of other random people there too just for the heck of it. Not necessarily for the limited edition mini pet, new backpack skin or whatever other useless shit the game throws at you constantly.
    Well this is basically the mindset you need to have playing GW2 because you never see those items drop anyway, gotta play passively as to not get disappointed.

Gwynefyrdd is a perfect example of RNG in this game.. completely hopeless and best not to even try to get one, but enjoy if you were 1 in a million.

The day I get a decent drop in GW2 is the day some gold farmer took over my account and set a bot up. I would play instanced raids for the challenge & at least some achievements/titles to people who complete it on hard mode or w/e cuz ofc ANet has to make a 'LFR' version for the lazy casuals who will cry about difficulty and 'second job'.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2014-11-04 at 11:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Maybe they can add a raid interface to the current squads and a guild officer commander can use a guild event consumable to open an instanced overflow of a map like sparkfly fen/bloodtide/southsun without random incomptetent pugs aiming for DA LOOTS ruining the kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    What does "CDI" mean?

Collaborative Development Initiative

it is a focused structured dialogue between the players and developers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    What does "CDI" mean?
    It stands for Collaborative Development Initiative, a process where the players and the devs discuss ideas, make suggestions and give feedback on those suggestions regarding a particular topic of game development. As the topic evolves through this discussion, ideas are distilled and refined into a summary of sorts (the Proposal) that is taken back to the designers to fuel future development (if possible).

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...-Master-Sticky
    Last edited by Karizee; 2014-11-12 at 11:08 PM.
    Valar morghulis

You don't need gear progression for a raid to survive. That is blindly ignorant. Ascended gear is still quite annoying (and time consuming) to get so it could also be a drop for a raid (if it ever gets implemented).

Though imo they shouldn't bother making a raid and should bother revamping the other dungeons like they wanted to do and make boss fights not so shitty.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

They need to have unique rewards.

GW2 made the mistake of trying to have a common loot pool which is an extremely lazy way of doing things. Then they had trash mobs drop way too much loot and gear, so accomplishing other things doesn't feel rewarding since you basically get less than you'd get by killing some trash mobs. Its a mess. For dungeons they had the foresight of adding dungeon tokens so even if you don't get something right away, you're working towards unique rewards. There's no such parallel currently for open world content except Teqatl that has a rare chance of dropping some unique drops. Very rare chance though.

For raids there's a few easy things they can do. one of course is just achievements. Beat normal mode crystal infused modremoth champion white mantle pet, beat hard mode of the same, etc. Some titles too. Use the normal mode for story progression if it's only slightly challenging but still fairly doable with a group sort of like the Arah dungeon, then have the hard mode for achievements, titles, etc.

As long as they didn't hand them out like candy they could do tokens for some new ascended gear models too. People would go in to a feeding frenzy for that.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but I am not.
    No you're not, people don't repeat raids ad nauseum unless there is a meaningful reward. That being said, not entirely sure gear is the only one people aim for, achievements and shiny stuff, but there has to be something.

Instanced Raids would be nice, but what must be rewards?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Instanced Raids would be nice, but what must be rewards?
    unique skins, ascended tokens( think laurels but for armor/weapons), Useful junk ( karma converter, mawdrey II, home instance improvements), minis, finishers, new skill unlocks, etc. They are not short on options when it comes to rewards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.