Thread: Fraud?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fraud?

Hey does anyone know if this fraud and if i can go to the police?

Late friday night me and "Friend" went to a party i used my card several times at food places and i took some money out to give him for gas and i remember him being super close to me it was really weird anyways, we left the party late around 1am and went to his house.
    We stayed in his house for about 2 hours and left but on the way home he needed to go to the bank and asked if i can stay in the car i didnt give it much thought but he took out a 100$ from a TD Atm in the store we go home and the next day i find my card is missing.

After a week i go to the bank and ask them to get me a new card and print out any transactions i did for the last 3 weeks i found out that on Sat early morning i took out 40$ then 60$ =100$ from my bank card then took out 200$ from a non-ATM bank machine and got charge a 30$ fee i told him that this wasn't me and they launched an investigation.

TBH it didnt hit me till i saw when i was i asked if they keep cameras at their banks where he used it they said they do. Could i file fraud charges if he wont return the money? I understand i messed up by reporting it so late but if i ask for the pictures of atleast him using my card at the TD bank branch wont it show him and not me for the 100$ i dont know where he took out the 200$ since it was a non-TD Bank atm.

Sorry for spelling mistakes im going to call the bank today and tell them what i know.

BTW TD= TD Canada Trust bank

Deleted
    Yes you can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you give him the card information and did you exercise due care to stop him from getting it? If so, then yes. Plus if you can show he stole the card then that's another charge on top of fraud.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

I never share my card info we went to McDonalds to eat and he was literally beside me while i was using my card it was really awk but i thought i coverd it enough i guess not.

Fraud is theft by false pretense which means he explicitly tried to deceive you. "Wait here" isn't a substantial pretense. I guess if he intentionally got you drunk to steal from you, maybe, but that's tougher to prove than "here's a picture of him at the atm stealing my money." Sounds more like some other classification of theft than fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by medvedev View Post
    Fraud is theft by false pretense which means he explicitly tried to deceive you. "Wait here" isn't a substantial pretense. I guess if he intentionally got you drunk to steal from you, maybe, but that's tougher to prove than "here's a picture of him at the atm stealing my money." Sounds more like some other classification of theft than fraud.
    Theft is the correct word here, unless this guy has been doing it for a while, then there might be fraudulent theft. I'm no lawyer. But the amounts of money you're talking about are of small-claims court size (where I live). In other words, pretty much not worth pursuing so long as you've closed the card and ordered a new one.

Sorry about your boyfriend.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Contact the police right away. I wouldn't even ask him to return it and let him off the hook. He stole from you.

He is not your friend if he pulled that.
    Press charges if you can

Ask the police if that is fraud/what you can do. But it's theft.
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2014-11-01 at 06:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you know for sure it was this guy? I mean you can put in a police report and show them towards this guy and see if they can turn something up, but unless you can prove he took the money, there's nothing really you can do.

Also, how did he use your card at an ATM? He has the PIN number too? Or were all the fraudulent transactions Credit/Signature transactions? If so, you should be able to prove to your bank that it wasn't your signature used and they'll return the money. If he used it online, they can track it to the shipping address he used.

I'm a bit concerned that it took you a week to notice your missing card and contact the bank. That's a long time to let someone else run around with your card.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Hey so i confronted him and he admitted to taking out 60$ not the rest which is BS because when i first started talking to him he said he didnt take any out ( IDK if text mean anything but he said he did in a text msg) also he offered to pay 270$ but my account would still be -80$ which is too much for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vuulu View Post
    Hey so i confronted him and he admitted to taking out 60$ not the rest which is BS because when i first started talking to him he said he didnt take any out ( IDK if text mean anything but he said he did in a text msg) also he offered to pay 270$ but my account would still be -80$ which is too much for me.
    Take his ass to the police. If needed, you can sue him in small claims court for the money.

But how did he get the money without your PIN?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Call the cops anyway.

IDK how he got my pin i NEVER gave it to anyone maybe he saw it over my shoulder idk man but im thinking of just taking the 270 and paying the rest and calling it quits.

Don't accept any settlements or you're fucked later if you want to prosecute him. Call the cops@@

10+ Year Old Account
    Great friend you got there.

Also known as friendly thief.
    They pretend they like you and try too get you too spend money on them. Because you trust them, you wont hide your pin number of a card too them (like you usualy do if strangers are araund). Or if you show them you hide the money in a house, it will disapear some day, when no1 is at home.

You will need at least 2 people with you. Visit your *friend* at his house and ask him nicely if he has your card.
    If he returns it, then ask him too return the money he stole too. If he doesnt---KICK HIS ASS
    If he says he doesnt have it, ask him if you can enter his house and look just in case. If he refuses...call the police.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Great friend you got there.

Also known as friendly thief.
    They pretend they like you and try too get you too spend money on them. Because you trust them, you wont hide your pin number of a card too them (like you usualy do if strangers are araund). Or if you show them you hide the money in a house, it will disapear some day, when no1 is at home.

You will need at least 2 people with you. Visit your *friend* at his house and ask him nicely if he has your card.
    If he returns it, then ask him too return the money he stole too. If he doesnt---KICK HIS ASS
    If he says he doesnt have it, ask him if you can enter his house and look just in case. If he refuses...call the police.
    Im not trying to hurt anyone he could call the cops on me..

How it works here is the card company will ask you if you gave permissions and are you willing to press charges. If you didn't give permission and say yes to pressing charges they'll restore your money.

I know this old lady who's grandson took her card. She wouldn't press charges so the card company did nothing.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Im not trying to hurt anyone he could call the cops on me..
    Thats why i said take 2 friends with you. He could attack you just for asking.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Open and shut.

Usually people start to backpeddle like that, they do until they can justify the action.

"yeah I took out the cash, but I was starving" etc.

Present an ultimanum for him to give him your money back in X time or call the cops. And follow through if he doesn't.