Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think that's the ridiculousness that is clogging up threads on the subject. No one's saying "quarantine everything", maybe just try to control the spread of shit that we have no immunizations/vaccines for, and have absurdly high mortality rates? You know, like Ebola?

Maybe that makes too much logical sense.
    We don't know what the 'real' mortality rate of ebola is in a modern society. Of the 9 cases treated in the US, only one has died, and he was seriously sick before he got treatment. Ebola is not particularly infectious either.

There is no cure for ebola because its been limited to poor african countries. There have already been promising results with new treatments.
    Last edited by Olo; 2014-11-02 at 09:04 AM.

I think that's the ridiculousness that is clogging up threads on the subject. No one's saying "quarantine everything", maybe just try to control the spread of shit that we have no immunizations/vaccines for, and have absurdly high mortality rates? You know, like Ebola?

Maybe that makes too much logical sense.
    Just like H1N1, Swine Flu, SARS, Avian Bird Flu....

Yup.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    We don't know what the 'real' mortality rate of ebola is in a modern society. Of the 9 cases treated in the US only one has died, and he was seriously sick before he got treatment. Ebola is not particularly infectious either.

There is no cure for ebola because it's been limited poor african countries. There have already been promising results with new treatments.
    Most of the individuals infected in the United States were health care workers who knew they were at risk for Ebola and were therefore on the lookout for symptoms, and presented themselves promptly for treatment. Early symptoms of Ebola mimic that of other diseases such as various strains of the flu, which makes it much harder to diagnose correctly and early. Mortality rates for any disease, but especially for fast acting diseases such as Ebola, climb exponentially as time passes before one is diagnosed.

There is no reason to assume that the "real" mortality rate of something such as Ebola among the general population would be anything significantly less than that of African countries.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    Just like H1N1, Swine Flu, SARS, Avian Bird Flu....

Yup.
    The mortality rate for those diseases is nowhere (and I mean NOWHERE) near Ebola, maybe read up on the various diseases you link before you continue to make yourself sound uneducated on the topic.

Most of the individuals infected in the United States were health care workers who knew they were at risk for Ebola and were therefore on the lookout for symptoms, and presented themselves promptly for treatment. Early symptoms of Ebola mimic that of other diseases such as various strains of the flu, which makes it much harder to diagnose correctly and early. Mortality rates for any disease, but especially for fast acting diseases such as Ebola, climb exponentially as time passes before one is diagnosed.

There is no reason to assume that the "real" mortality rate of something such as Ebola among the general population would be anything significantly less than that of African countries.
    Better medical facilities don't help keep the mortality rate down?

That's news to me.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Better medical facilities don't help keep the mortality rate down?

That's news to me.
    Not as much as early diagnosis as mentioned. And it sounds like you don't know much to begin with on the topic so I'm not surprised.

The mortality rate for those diseases is nowhere (and I mean NOWHERE) near Ebola, maybe read up on the various diseases you link before you continue to make yourself sound uneducated on the topic.
    Oh, its not like I was sarcastically referring to the media's treatment of those afflictions in comparison to Ebola.

Ebola is transmitted through bodily fluid. If you're at risk, you'll know about it before you show symptoms.

If you ignore every public health expert in the world, maybe.

Not as much as early diagnosis as mentioned. And it sounds like you don't know much to begin with on the topic so I'm not surprised.
    I know enough not to spout misinformation.

10+ Year Old Account
    18% of SARS cases in Canada were fatal. 251 cases, 44 fatalities

Ebola cases in the USA are currently at 11.1%, with 9 cases and 1 fatality.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Ebola is transmitted through bodily fluid. If you're at risk, you'll know about it before you show symptoms.
    It is aerosolized which means it can transmit via sneezing/coughing and can live outside of the body for several hours (a week or more if you're talking about direct blood to blood contact), although sneezing/coughing are not typical of Ebola. Not to mention, it takes up to 21 days for symptoms to become prevalent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    18% of SARS cases in Canada were fatal.

Ebola cases in the USA are currently at 11.1% fatal.
    Ebola had a mortality rate of 95% for most of the last 20 years that we have known it existed, the current estimated mortality rate is around 70% currently.

If you're going to base your estimate of a "Western mortality rate" based on the cases of the few individuals who have contacted the disease in the U.S. and use that as your sample size then that is absolutely insane.

- - - Updated - - -

I know enough not to spout misinformation.
    That is obviously not true based on the content of your post where you tried to equate SARS and H1N1 to Ebola.

It is aerosolized which means it can transmit via sneezing/coughing and can live outside of the body for several hours (a week or more if you're talking about direct blood to blood contact), although sneezing/coughing are not typical of Ebola. Not to mention, it takes up to 21 days for symptoms to become prevalent.

- - - Updated - - -

Ebola had a mortality rate of 95% for most of the last 20 years that we have known it existed, the current estimated mortality rate is around 70% currently.

If you're going to base your estimate of a "Western mortality rate" based on the cases of the few individuals who have contacted the disease in the U.S. and use that as your sample size then that is absolutely insane.
    And during the time it incubates (21 days), it isn't contagious.

Only when the victim displays signs of Ebola, is when it is contagious.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

That is obviously not true based on the content of your post where you tried to equate SARS and H1N1 to Ebola.
    Read what I previously said before that.

You might find the point of my first statement.

More plausible than using west african numbers where they don't even have IV fluids.

About as sane as using west african numbers where they don't even have IV fluids.
    Or 18th century medical facilities.

And during the time it incubates (21 days), it isn't contagious.

Only when the victim displays signs of Ebola, is when it is contagious.
    Too bad Ebola mimics flu symptoms that would prolong that contagion window in a general population and make the effective treatment window narrower for a virus that can kill you in the span of 5 to 10 days.

People are infectious as long as their blood and secretions contain the virus. For this reason, infected patients receive close monitoring from medical professionals and receive laboratory tests to ensure the virus is no longer circulating in their systems before they return home. When the medical professionals determine it is okay for the patient to return home, they are no longer infectious and cannot infect anyone else in their communities. Men who have recovered from the illness can still spread the virus to their partner through their semen for up to 7 weeks after recovery. For this reason, it is important for men to avoid sexual intercourse for at least 7 weeks after recovery or to wear condoms if having sexual intercourse during 7 weeks after recovery.
    http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/faq-ebola/en/

I am going to bed so you can PM me for further discussion or I'll check up on this thread later.

Too bad Ebola mimics flu symptoms that would prolong that contagion window in a general population and make the effective treatment window narrower for a virus that can kill you in the span of 5 to 10 days.

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/faq-ebola/en/

I am going to bed so you can PM me for further discussion or I'll check up on this thread later.
    With the attention its being given, I have a feeling that won't be a problem either.

Fuck the flu, its ebola season.

Western Canada has put up its anti Ebola shields.

Sanctions are unnecessary, nobody from West Africa is going to come here.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I think we will find out a lot more about this after the elections, Im guessing they are keeping everything under wraps until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I think we will find out a lot more about this after the elections, Im guessing they are keeping everything under wraps until then.
    Who is "they"?

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds to me like Australia and Canada have smarter policies than the U.S. in regards to this matter.
    I can see not letting natives to those countries get visas.

What's pants on head retarded is how they're treating the aid workers who are returning with no signs of illness. The CDC has already noted that they've seen a marked decrease in the number of people volunteering. The best way to not have an outbreak here is to treat it there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Who is "they"?
    His Tea Party coalition that are going to forcefully remove all Democrats from office, or whatever nonsense he keeps talking about.