Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

The Troll Theory

Right off the bat: by my definition, trolling does not mean threatening or verbally assaulting someone online

Now that we got that sorted:
    I know a few internet trolls (people who pretend to be stupid to make a self-appointed sophisticated person respond to them in a know-it-all manner, only to deny everything the person had to say afterwards) and I believe that it is a way for them to be foolish for a moment, to be inconsistent for once. They go online, troll some people, and then they go offline and are perfectly normal, disciplined and nice again.

ON THE OTHER HAND, people who are overly correct, in every respect, online (be it in forums, or wherever) are often... you guessed it... pretty unpleasant people to be around, in real life. (to give you an example real quick: you are like:"Yes! I love this song!" and then the other one is like:"I really don't see why you would like this song." ... if you aren't one yourself you might know what I mean by now.)

Anyway...what I'm trying to say is that a "troll" has more potential to be a fun guy than a person just like I described in the paragraph above.

What do you guys think?!

ps: I will probably update this and be a little more specific about what I'm talking about, but I just had to get this thought out there.

I doubt trolls are more often fun guys. Also internet behavior doesn't necessarily translate to RL behavior consistently.

Its also pretty subjective. Some people think that people who drink alcohol are a lot are more fun, because they get drunk and drunk stories can be funny. Funny stuff often does happen when a person gets drunk, but I don't think that makes a person a "fun guy". They could just be a partier who only cares about getting messed up on a daily basis.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-11-02 at 12:25 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I think this post is stupid.

Some people troll for the lolz, some people troll because they're assholes. Shrug.

You're just trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post

Its also pretty subjective.
    Ofc you can't generalize what I was saying, but I feel like a tendency is there.

Trolls are a bit off regardless of whether it's the anal-retentive-need-to-be-right-all-the-time poster or the I'm-just-getting-a-rise-out-of-people guy. The Internet really *is* a second (or maybe only) home for the socially impaired.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarch Son of Gods View Post

this is absolutely fabulous.

glad to see people getting my point even though my phrasing is poor indeed

10+ Year Old Account
    Tiili linked me that stupid rape thread and now I've been posting here for two hours instead of doing homework. ;(
    Where is Tili I haven't seen her in awhile lol
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurydemus View Post
    The Internet really *is* a second (or maybe only) home for the socially impaired.
    Easy there, Shreck. I think our modern society is over the you-have-no-life-lol-insults. Sitting in front of a computer instead of chuging beers at the crackerbarrel is indeed antisocial, by definition, but who gives a shit really? If it makes that person feel happy, then why not? And they shouldn't have to feel guilty.

Socializing is no longer a must in our society.

and just for the record: socializing =! having true friends

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    Easy there, Shreck. I think our modern society is over the you-have-no-life-lol-insults. Sitting in front of a computer instead of chuging beers at the crackerbarrel is indeed antisocial, by definition, but who gives a shit really? If it makes that person feel happy, then why not? And they shouldn't have to feel guilty.

Socializing is no longer a must in our society.

and just for the record: socializing =! having true friends
    No, you misunderstand. "Socially impaired" as in people who can't function without saying hostile/inappropriate things and doing or uttering things without consideration for others (e.g. trolls). Not people who don't like going out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurydemus View Post
    No, you misunderstand. "Socially impaired" as in people who can't function without saying hostile/inappropriate things and doing or uttering things without consideration for others (e.g. trolls). Not people who don't like going out.
    oh, I'm sorry, my bad!

I do have a different definition of 'troll' though.

People are the most true to their real selves when they are free to express themselves free from repercussions.

That said, I find it hard to believe that Internet "trolls" are very nice people IRL......unless they feel forced to be.

I love the irony of that comment!

Lol? Why?

I know someone that LOVES to troll people on the internet, getting them to start fighting, using (forum) alts to create and instigate fights and to uncover dirt on people. And IRL she is the sweetest, friendliest and most civilized girl you'll ever meet.
    Forgive me for saying so, but she can't be that nice or civilised is she's instigating online fights amongst strangers.

You hear a lot about people who present a friendly, well-adjusted exterior, but who are monstrous in reality. Like Patrick Bateman from "American Psycho". Rarely - if ever - do you find individuals who are genuinely nice in person, but have a mile-wide mean streak online. Kinda raises the question of which of your friend's faces is the real one, eh?

Problem in OP is you think someone who disagrees or doesn't see your POV is somehow not fun. The only people who are fun to you are those who just agree and go along with what you say, which could get kind of boring.

I can troll this thread I just need to train..

I just .. need to get in the best shape of my life..
    "Good ol Vanilla Enhancement Shamans. The walking slot machine."

Wasn't a thread similar to this posted a few weeks ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Nixx! Haven't seen you in awhile.
    I missed reading his Tumblr page of quotes.

Lol? Why?

I know someone that LOVES to troll people on the internet, getting them to start fighting, using (forum) alts to create and instigate fights and to uncover dirt on people. And IRL she is the sweetest, friendliest and most civilized girl you'll ever meet.
    Maybe because that behavior IRL gets her what she wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can relate to this. I do some mild trolling on here and in WoW....but I'm very much how you described your friend.
    That explains the recent argument we've had with you
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    You're going to have to be more specific.
    The "Make a claim, you back it up debate."

Warrior-Magi