View Poll Results: How often is a accusation of rape false?

Voters
188. This poll is closed
  • Less than 5%

71 37.77%
  • Between 6 and 15%

32 17.02%
  • Between 16% and 25%

20 10.64%
  • Over 25%

65 34.57%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    is this about rape?
    since the amount of attention this problem gets (even though its not common or increasing...) is vastly out of proportion?.
    Both of these things are largely non issues, its just that one gets attention, the other is treated as a unicorn.
    Rape and sexual assault are very prevalent problems. It happens a lot. More than people like to think. False rape accusations? Not so much. Whenever it does happen the media jumps on it to downplay actual rape cases, and we get threads like these where a third of the people on the poll think a quarter of all accusations are false.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanariya View Post
    Why don't you start citing your sources before you continue to defend rapists any further with this whole bullshit of "most rape reported is false."
    Hahah, okey. First, please do point out where I defended rapists. I'd really rather not be called a defender of rape if you don't have a shred of evidence to support that. Which would be easy, given that this is a written forum where anything I've said will still be available. Go on...

And I think the point of my post went right past you. I'm not claiming most rape reported is false, if you look really close at what I wrote, you might be able to spot some critique of the way your 3% number was obtained.

Human memory is very selective. And I am not talking about "real" rape trauma, but sometimes things objectively happened different from what we do remember - especially if it is an issue of high emotional value.

So one person might be convinced that it was a rape, when - by objective means - it was sex both agreed upon or one party did not show any signs of disagreement.

How are we, a forum of Game fans, going to know the answer to this question.

Answer; We're not, it's a bait thread, designed to bring up the sensitive issue of rape that'll as always, devolve into; "Only Men rape" or "Fucking bitches getting away with it, kill them".

Thanks ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    How are we, a forum of Game fans, going to know the answer to this question.

Answer; We're not, it's a bait thread, designed to bring up the sensitive issue of rape that'll as always, devolve into; "Only Men rape" or "Fucking bitches getting away with it, kill them".

Thanks ...
    Exactly. This thread would be amazing on FactualCrimeStatsChampion.com

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Rape and sexual assault are very prevalent problems. It happens a lot. More than people like to think.
    Nope.
    they aren't.
    you are under the misapprehension that say the CDC is in any way shape or form is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanariya View Post
    Why don't you start citing your sources before you continue to defend rapists any further with this whole bullshit of "most rape reported is false."
    People with this attitude is what is wrong with society. False accusations occur there is no disputing that, only how prevalent is it, yet they treat anyone who mentions this fact as if they are pro rape. Anecdotal evidence: when I was in college I was accused of sexual assaulting a girl. Freshman year, I had just met her at the dorms and we hung out a couple times. We were never alone, always with a group of people, and I never showed any interest in her. I started making new friends and stopped hanging out with her. Later I found out she liked me, and instead of talking to me responded by telling everyone we stopped hanging out because I sexually assaulted her. When I heard this I was pissed. A month later I ran into her at Walmart and confronted her, asking how could she say that, and I kid you not, she actually said “you hurt my feelings, you deserved it!”

I’ve also known two girls who have claimed they were raped, and both turned out to have lied. One was in the Army and was busted with drugs, and tried to claim she was using the drugs to self-medicate because of a rape. She later admitted it was a lie, but it still worked. No charges were filed, and she went on her merry way. The guy who was accused lost his promotion he was about to get and was forced to transfer to a different unit. He was going to make the Army his career, but after this he got out as soon as his enlistment was up.

It’s impossible to know how often false accusations happen, because the only real way to know is if the girl admits it was a lie, good luck with that. The fact that most people aren't convicted of rape doesn’t conclusively mean it was a lie either, and most people (at least with rape) just assume the guy is guilty.
    Last edited by zackeryt; 2014-11-02 at 05:48 PM.

Just because it's a slim possibility it doesn't mean you should have to fear it. Any more then you should have to fear getting struck by lightning, or having a brain aneurysm. I'd hazard a guess that you don't go around worrying about those things right? Even though they're far less preventable then being falsely accused of rape. Probably a much higher chance of them happening for all I know. So the fact that you feel that sleeping with women causes a constant risk you have to live with suggests a pretty messed up attitude imo.
    No, it shows the law is doing a shit job at treating men and women equally.

Lightning is a natural occurence and can't be stopped.

When a court sentences a man ( wrongly ) for a crime he did not commit and it's because he was born with a penis something is awfully wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    No, it shows the law is doing a shit job at treating men and women equally.

Lightning is a natural occurence and can't be stopped.

When a court sentences a man ( wrongly ) for a crime he did not commit and it's because he was born with a penis something is awfully wrong.
    The trend is quite the opposite though. Most rape cases don't result in any conviction. Obviously it's horrible when someone is falsely accused of rape but it doesn't happen very often. You're basing your opinion on just a few clickbait articles or news stories and you've fallen hook line and sinker for their agenda to make people take rape less seriously.

The trend is quite the opposite though. Most rape cases don't result in any conviction. Obviously it's horrible when someone is falsely accused of rape but it doesn't happen very often. You're basing your opinion on just a few clickbait articles or news stories and you've fallen hook line and sinker for their agenda to make people take rape less seriously.
    Except you have no idea how often it happens. The only way to really prove it beyond a doubt is if the girl admits to lying, or does something amazingly stupid like accusing a guy of rape even though he isn’t in the same state or something. Other than not, all that is said is there wasn’t enough evidence to convict, which has been defined by posters in this thread as NOT being false accusations. So in all honesty, we have no idea have prevalent false accusations are. You just don’t think they are prevalent.

Except the numbers show that false accusations are very common, at least relative to rape, which is itself very rare anyway.

Deleted
    The trend is quite the opposite though.
    only 15 to 25% of convicted prior to DNA testing were found to not be guilty.
    So, 15-25%... im going ahead and saying the fear may have some, you know, Cause?.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    If you are making a claim that someone raped someone, that is a claim that you have to substantiate. What you have basically done is created a criteria whereby accusations of rape are to be accepted at face value, while accusations of lying require a court to adjudicate. It's utterly absurd. This is the king of logical twister that has to be played to make your case.
    I never said that accusations of rape are to be accepted at face value. The only person erecting a double-standard here is you.

Charges of rape have to proven in a court of law. Charges of fraudulent accusations - which also fall under the criminal category of perjury - have to be similarly proven in a court of law. Because one charge is not provable beyond a reasonable doubt does not mean that the other is provable or is in someway credible beyond the known evidence relating to the motive of the fraudulent accuser. Put simply, just because there isn't enough evidence to convict someone of a crime doesn't mean that they didn't commit that crime; it only means that they can't be held criminally liable for it by the state. The standard holds true for people accused of rape as equally as it does for people who fraudulent accuse people of rape.

Flaws do not make a study absolutely useless, especially when combined with other studies that show similar results
    Yeah. Especially when flawed studies are the only thing upon which you can hang your morally and intellectually bankrupt argument. Then they're the only thing that matter, despite the mountain of peer-reviewed, methodologically sound studies to counter them.

He took cases where the woman admitted she lied, and then looked at the circumstances of that case. He took circumstances that were common amongst those cases and created a set of criteria based on how common those circumstances were. I'm sorry that you are utterly ignorant of what was actually done here. It's an absolutely statistically sound way to gauge the reliability of the accusations, because it is based on the prevalence of specific circumstances in demonstrably false cases.
    He found correlating factors and, without even any analysis as to the nature of the correlation, applied them in a ham-fisted manner to another sample. You don't need a degree in statistics to know that this is methodologically unsound. Shit, like Kanin, he didn't even take into account the manner of the investigation or the manner of the interview process, and how such things can affect the accuracy of the victim's statements. If that's all it takes to disqualify Kanin, then deeming McDowell unworthy of relevance is a no-brainer.

I'm not using those numbers to claim there are or were false convictions, so that is irrelevant. That quote has nothing to do with this issue. It has to do with past convictions before DNA testing existed, and it's correct... but still has nothing to do with this issue.
    You are using this figure as a representation of fraudulent allegations. Whether or not the DNA exclusion rate can be used to determine the rate of unjust convictions rape convicts prior to DNA testing has direct bearing on that issue.
    Last edited by Slybak; 2014-11-02 at 06:08 PM.

Deleted
    Except the numbers show that false accusations are very common, at least relative to rape, which is itself very rare anyway.
    you cant really compare the numbers.
    The rape rate per 100 000 person cant be compared to the False report rate of those who do report stuff they are not comparable subsets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    I never said that accusations of rape are to be accepted at face value.
    you did.
    You want to assume that all cases that aren't proven by a court to be false are rape, and that's absurd.
    your response:
    No it isn't.
    So you did.

My god, are you serious?

We live in a world in which '' teach men not to rape '' has become a fucking motto.

We live in a world in which a man is instantly demonised before being proven guilty.

We live in a world in which a man that didn't rape a woman was somehow found guilty of it all because he has a penis and you're telling me there's an agenda to make rape look less dire?

Come to your fucking senses.

Most rape cases don't result in any conviction
    Then that means there are a lot of false accusations, doesn't it?

Deleted

Yeah. Especially when flawed studies are the only thing upon which you can hang your morally and intellectually bankrupt argument. Then they're the only thing that matter, despite the mountain of peer-reviewed, methodologically sound studies to counter them.
    these do not exist.

Deleted
    All the numbers I've seen show that false accusations are very rare, whereas rape is very common.

Deleted
    whereas rape is very common.
    This is just not true.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    My god, are you serious?

We live in a world in which '' teach men not to rape '' has become a fucking motto.

We live in a world in which a man is instantly demonised before being proven guilty.

We live in a world in which a man that didn't rape a woman was somehow found guilty of it all because he has a penis and you're telling me there's an agenda to make rape look less dire?

Come to your fucking senses.

Then that means there are a lot of false accusations, doesn't it?
    The confirmation bias is strong in this one.

Deleted
    The confirmation bias is strong in this one.
    You yourself have literally said that.