Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Californias Prop 47 vote.

On November 4th, California will have a vote on prop 47. Basically, this bill will reduce the penalty for possesion of personal use amounts of drugs to a misdemeanor, and will allow many felons currently serving time to get resentenced under the new guidelines.

The proposition will also reduce penalties for a few other non-serious, non-violent crimes. Read up on it if and be informed:

http://ballotpedia.org/California_Pr...ive_%282014%29

So what do you think? The objective behind this, according to some is to basically keep nonviolent offenders out of jail without going totally soft on the war on drugs, while criticism says it's a way to "cook the books" on recidivism rates.

Non-violent offenders should very rarely be in prison in general.

Deleted
    What is this, America NOT cracking down with extreme prejudice on all things illegal?!

to lazy to read but is this all drugs or stuff like pot? Pot should be legal but if its hard drugs like crack, heroin etc... then no.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    to lazy to read but is this all drugs or stuff like pot? Pot should be legal but if its hard drugs like crack, heroin etc... then no.
    Why?

10char

10+ Year Old Account
    The prison industrial complex won't let things like this fly for long :P
    You're a towel.

i guess this is why everyone i know hates cali

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Why?

10char
    Yeah, what we need is crack out on the streets, and people on it!
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    It all drugs, from pot to heroin. Again, this is for drug use, not distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Yeah, what we need is crack out on the streets, and people on it!
    If they're committing violent crimes they'd still be in jail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why?

10char
    Because of the very delicate case of Mackey V. Drugs

The prosecution had a very strong case that drugs are bad...mmkay

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, for shoplifting, forgery, grand theft, and fraud (where there is intent to commit a monetary crime), the misdemeanor charges should force them to pay back the value of the items or checks they stole or issued, respectively--plus interest.
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

15+ Year Old Account
    Non violent drug crime should be a misdemeanor AT MOST.

Violent crime or accident while handling a vehicle should still be treated as driving while intoxicated and a serious offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Zvinny View Post
    It all drugs, from pot to heroin. Again, this is for drug use, not distribution.
    Fucking Tylenol, goddammit. Hand me that Red Bull... oh, where am I? That Sudafed is messing with me.

Of course it should be for all drugs, and of course it should come with rules for responsible use. I can't take an excessive dose of diphenhydramine, readily available over the counter, then drive. And I can't distribute the stuff, it's readily available over the counter.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Honestly I'd rather we treat people with debilitating drug addictions more like we would ideally treat the severly mentally ill.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted for it. Jail isn't doing any good for these cases.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

voted for it gladly, hard to see the down sides of it. waste of tax payers money on people who can just do community service, or at least probation.

7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I'd rather we treat people with debilitating drug addictions more like we would ideally treat the severly mentally ill.
    Mental asylums are hit and miss. Some are really, really bad. Some are good. Some are eh.

I'd be more than happy to pay a bit more to the govt. if they would establish a legitimate and useful program for people to wane off and quit using their respective drugs.
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    voted for it gladly, hard to see the down sides of it. waste of tax payers money on people who can just do community service, or at least probation.
    I'd settle for just fines. Take away that money they were spending on those drugs to begin with.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I'd settle for just fines. Take away that money they were spending on those drugs to begin with.
    Which does nothing to deal with addiction and only serves to give them a greater incentive towards more criminal behavior.