Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I have done a lot of public speaking in military, civilian and religious settings.

Look them in the eye and literally speak from your heart.
    One on one: listen, don't ask questions; say 'tell me more' if you want to know more.
    Group: Open with jokes about fear of public speaking and how 72% of all statistics are improvised.

I have often been told I have a very unique voice and should be some type of DJ/politician/public speaker.

I*m a little bit shy when it is about people i do not know

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's someone I don't know yet, but I am gonna end up spending time with; I'll talk way too much.
    If it's someone I know: I say 'like' a lot, like a cliche teenage girl; I tend to mumble a lot; I have a sort of monotone voice (which mixes badly with the mumbling sometimes).
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    They can try their best to understand me, but it is just fruitless.

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone says something to me I usually ask them to repeat themselves so I can think of an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbear View Post
    If someone says something to me I usually ask them to repeat themselves so I can think of an answer.
    So it's like...

Me: /leans back casually, sips on beverage.
    Me: So, I read an interesting article about how robots might replace chefs in a few years.
    You: /twitches unconfortably
    You: Could you repeat that?
    Me: I said I read... never mind.

Yeah, not how to do it.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    I try not to speak to people face to face, apart from a very select few. My flatmate for example.

Since my head injury, my personality has changed a little. As a result of that, I kind of hate people now.

So glad this thread is filled with autism insults, just another fun day on the off topic.

I used to be bad at communicating face to face, but have come to realize that it's all just a game. Everybodies putting up a front.

You just have to keep in mind that the impression you sell passes in and out like a scent but the long face that you see comes from living close to your fears. If this is up, then I'm up; but you're running out of sight, you've seen your name on the walls; And when one little bump leads to shock miss a beat, you run for cover and there's heat.

EDIT: But seriously though, the majority of verbal communication is for the purpose of manipulating a reality which doesn't facilitate the desires of the speaker. Reality is honest, Actions are honest. Communication is all about deception.

You will find very few people in your life with whom honest communication isn't just an oxymoron, and that my friends is what love is... Honest dialogue.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2014-11-04 at 05:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    So glad this thread is filled with autism insults, just another fun day on the off topic.
    There was like what, two comments that could be classified as autism insult? How about you calm your autism?

On topic, I dislike eye contact but if it's something important like an interview I'll just deal with it to not seem rude. I'm not very good with speeches, especially if the topic is even somewhat unfamiliar, but much better than I was few years back. I'm also a Finn so I don't do small talk and I try to keep my stuff short as possible at least when talking with strangers or people I rarely deal with. When talking with group of friends I'm the sometimes the group's blabbermouth who won't shut up for a second or the one who only answers in short grunts, depends on the day.

I usually say 'Like' a lot =\ Typical girl my age behavior.. though when I'm speaking with my boss or other professionals I find that I'm magically able to block it out.

Signature by Shyama!

Deleted
    I'm too loud or too quiet, I guess. I sometimes hear myself overpowering everyone else in the classroom, can be awkward when I just wanted to say something to a guy sitting a few meters from me.
    I also have a huge problem with eye contact

Eye contact. Not really anything hard about it. I enjoy face to face conversation rather than over the phone or through email. I can't read a person's reaction over the phone.

I think I can be intimidating. 6'3" and broad shoulders can do that. A lot of people go instant defensive when I approach them, I try to play it down with some light conversation and jokes.

Not particularly. I trained myself not to engage in speech dysfluency (e.g. going "umm" or "err") at a fairly young age and I think on my feet quick enough to speak without having to pause to collect my thoughts.

Even though I've gotten better at it, I actively avoid social interaction. For the life of me I still can't maintain eye contact, engage in small talk, or fake being interested in what someone else is saying.

Normal people are lucky, they learn most of those things instinctively. For me, every discussion is like a test I didn't study for.

Like I said, getting better with age. At one point you would've sworn I was mute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Peeb View Post
    There was like what, two comments that could be classified as autism insult? How about you calm your autism?

On topic, I dislike eye contact but if it's something important like an interview I'll just deal with it to not seem rude. I'm not very good with speeches, especially if the topic is even somewhat unfamiliar, but much better than I was few years back. I'm also a Finn so I don't do small talk and I try to keep my stuff short as possible at least when talking with strangers or people I rarely deal with. When talking with group of friends I'm the sometimes the group's blabbermouth who won't shut up for a second or the one who only answers in short grunts, depends on the day.
    There's 3 outright ones, and a few veiled ones I'd say. Also odd that it's being passed over. It's the fact that I find it hard to believe people immediately jump to some disorder to explain shyness and introversion. Also spoiler, I'm not autistic, nice try though.