Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    In a lot of places people have believed stuff for so long if you even question the meaning of anything you'll get swept up in a torrent of "This is the way!", forgetting one of the main things is to always ask questions and find answers for yourself.
    Exactly. Heck, you even notice this behavior at workplaces in our own societies. First day at a new job, you're asked to perform a task and given clear instructions how to. You immediately figure out a much more efficient way of performing the task. What happens? 9/10 times you're told that you don't know shit and should do exactly as instructed. After all, you've been there less than a day, what do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Curanhadin View Post
    Religion doesn't make people act this way its psychotic people who want to use some twisted or out of context line of scripture to justify doing what ever they want. Theres literally about 4 billion people that practice one religion or another, clearly they don't usually act this way. If you look at the number of murderers or crazy people like this its probably equally as high or higher among non religious people as well. They just justify their actions in the name of something else.
    There are more than enough people on this planet who interpret what their religious texts say unquestioningly, and carry them out to the letter. Crap like this was rather common place not all that long ago, and most societies have thankfully grabbed a clue and moved away from it. Such practices have absolutely no benefit at all, and hamper our potential forward progress as a species.

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    You miss my point. All this is nothing but human construct. 'Religion' is a fable, we used it to 'expand civilization' and excuse all the miseries of the world and now it's served its purpose people pretend like they don't get it. Truly, the most astounding thing in this world has to be the human capacity for denial.
    While I agree humans will be humans. Countries in the middle east that are predominantly Islamic seem to have one of the single worst track records when it comes to human rights (women, gays, other religions). To say that radical Muslims are just being human and that religion plays no role in their abhorrent behavior seems a bit far fetched. Considering that Sharia law demands that apostates be killed, I am gonna go out on a limb and say that maybe their holy book needs some 21st century editing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyo View Post
    Exactly. Heck, you even notice this behavior at workplaces in our own societies. First day at a new job, you're asked to perform a task and given clear instructions how to. You immediately figure out a much more efficient way of performing the task. What happens? 9/10 times you're told that you don't know shit and should do exactly as instructed. After all, you've been there less than a day, what do you know?
    Hate to spam but: Human nature.

People like to take the moral high ground but if most people who find this 'outrageous' were raised from Day 1 in that sandy shit hole of the world where people are ultra violent because they're ultra miserable and find no other outlet for their misery than believing in a twisted fairytale world they think helps gives their sad meaningless and wretched lives meaning, then they'd probably be stoning their own kids too.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Religion is the bull in the china shop. Anything it doesn't break, it poo poos on.
    These people probably can't even read. Ignorance is the greatest enemy of all and the best weapon against it is education. These people have none of that. This is humanity 500 years ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MathAddict View Post
    While I agree humans will be humans. Countries in the middle east that are predominantly Islamic seem to have one of the single worst track records when it comes to human rights (women, gays, other religions). To say that radical Muslims are just being human and that religion plays no role in their abhorrent behavior seems a bit far fetched. Considering that Sharia law demands that apostates be killed, I am gonna go out on a limb and say that maybe their holy book needs some 21st century editing.
    Like all humans weren't barbarians at some point or other in their history. The only difference is these sorry fucks still live in the dark ages, hence they behave like they're in the dark ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    These people probably can't even read. Ignorance is the greatest enemy of all and the best weapon against it is education. These people have none of that. This is humanity 500 years ago.
    I really disagree with this. What fuels this isn't 'ignorance', it's culture. You have to subvert people's minds over generations. You can't just make some chump read a book and expect him to be cured. That only works on people who didn't need to be cured in the first place.

No, instead give them the (uncensored) 'internet' and put a smartphone in every kids hand, that should help.
    Last edited by Arganis; 2014-11-04 at 05:39 AM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Religion is the bull in the china shop. Anything it doesn't break, it poo poos on.
    Religion is a mask that culture hides behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    You can't even blame this on religion. There has to be something mentally wrong with someone that not only condones his offspring being killed, but participates...this is literally insane.
    Well... You did just read an argument about a group of men getting together to stone a women who supposedly commited adultery, it's not that far of a stretch to think that if the man stood up for his daugther, he would've likely shared her faith? I doubt the other men would be like "oh, okay Achmed, if you say she's innocent/don't want us to, we won't stone her". I mean, there's a chance he thought this was justified but it's just as likely that he didn't.

This isn't anything new though, women get treated like shit in the middle east. Yet this somehow still feels less awful then the stuff IS does to women. Most of them are probably wishing for death over the endless rape. :X I hope everyone can understand why the "misogyny in video games" stuff is seen as a complete fucking joke (to some people, like me) now...

Like all humans weren't barbarians at some point or other in their history. The only difference is these sorry fucks still live in the dark ages, hence they behave like they're in the dark ages.

I really disagree with this. What fuels this isn't 'ignorance' it's culture. You have to subvert people's minds over generations. You can't just make some chump read a book and expect him to be cured. That only works on people who didn't need to be cured in the first place.
    What helps to facilitate keeping them in the dark ages? Religion plays a big role in suppressing education. Sure, poor social/economic mobility, education, and government also play huge roles in keeping the middle east in a "dark age." However, I think it can be argued that extreme sects of Islam are also a helping hand that stirs the shit stew that is human rights in the middle east.

Medieval Europe still had magistrates and judges. Even though such systems were riddled with corruption, there was some semblance of due process.

The "dark age" middle east does not even have due process.
    Last edited by MathAddict; 2014-11-04 at 05:54 AM.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    I always like to take a look back at the western world at a time like this. At how a certain group of people will demand you not be homophobic and misogynist, and then tell you to be tolerant of muslims in the same breath, ignoring that islam has some of the most, if not the most, institutionalized homophobia and misogyny in the world.

More topically however, its disgusting but not surprising. Whats even sadder are the number of women in these conditions who have deluded themselves into thinking they've been liberated by living in this mindset.

Fanaticism in all forms is loathsome.

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

Islamic extremists aren't even human beings. they're animals and they should be treated as such

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Things like this happen all the time to women in various parts of the world.
    Things like this happen all the time to all people, all over the world and has for as long as humans have been around. See, even you're drowning in your own narrow 'viewpoint' in which 'woman' are the sole persecuted victims of a violent and ignorant world, and that despite being surrounded by proof to the contrary. We all ignore what doesn't correspond to our beliefs and enforce our own beliefs like they're god's fucking commandments and then people wonder why these 'psychos' won't stop stoning each other.
    Last edited by Arganis; 2014-11-04 at 06:09 AM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

People love to beat on religion but religion was necessary for civilization. It's just a means of control, like law and order. The only thing is it's not really necessary in modern societies anymore.

Still, if the world ever decays into some kind of post-apocaliptic despair you can bet your ass religion will be back in business in no time. Again, human nature.
    mental illness is human nature...yay...

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahh, I get so warm and tingly inside when I see religion bringing people together.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoloco View Post
    mental illness is human nature...yay...
    I'm sorry but most of these people don't have the benefit of any kind of 'mental illness'. If you think it takes a disease to make people behave like that, then you're the one who's delusional.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Things like this happen all the time to all people, all over the world and has for as long as humans have been around. See, even you're drowning in your own narrow 'viewpoint' in which 'woman' are the sole persecuted victims of a violent and ignorant world, and that despite being surrounded by proof to the contrary. We all ignore what doesn't correspond to our beliefs and enforce our own beliefs like they're god's fucking commandments and then people wonder why these 'psychos' won't stop stoning each other.
    Are you for real right now? Did you just go on a rant because I used the word "woman" instead of "people" because the I was talking about violence against women in particular?

10+ Year Old Account
    I do wonder if the father felt any remorse (in private) and was saving his own life. It doesn't make the situation any better, but as a father I'd like to hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    I do wonder if the father felt any remorse (in private) and was saving his own life. It doesn't make the situation any better, but as a father I'd like to hope.
    I would like to hope that as well...but I mean he apparently threw the stone that killed her
    You're a towel.